The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are there Cymbals just too harsh too tame?
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Nut

Are there Cymbals just too harsh too tame?

I have a pretty decent amount of outboard gear .. compressors with every kind of topology .. FET, Opto, Diode Bridge, PWM, VCA .. FATSOs ... etc. etc.

I have some Overheads that are just so damn nasty ... and then when I use the fatso there still is a bunch of stuff killing you around 1Khz.

Any Tricks?
Old 23rd August 2016
Gear Guru

Are there room tracks as well? Maybe rely on them more on them and back the OHs off? In the future use different cymbals, and different mics in a different position. Move the drums around the space as well.
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

This is with the Fatso Warmth circuit going as well? Maybe a de-esser or HF limiter in tandem with the Fatso.

You could boost the side chain input in one of those compressors as well on the harsh freqs.

With cymbals like that the only other remedy I know of is tracking with ribbon mics.
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Juliano View Post
I have a pretty decent amount of outboard gear .. compressors with every kind of topology .. FET, Opto, Diode Bridge, PWM, VCA .. FATSOs ... etc. etc.

I have some Overheads that are just so damn nasty ... and then when I use the fatso there still is a bunch of stuff killing you around 1Khz.

Any Tricks?
you use a hpf
Old 23rd August 2016
Gear Addict

Just what kind of PWM compressors do you have?
Old 23rd August 2016
Gear Addict
Try not useing a compressor and use a eq, or back off the comp if it's needed .
Also the Tokyo dawn free dynamic eq I've great results on overheads
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear
Multi band compression. Then you can go in and really tame the offending freq.
Old 23rd August 2016
member no 666

Try running the FATSO Jr. in parallel with the original tracks, then pull [subtractive EQ] a bunch of 4-6kHz from the original tracks and the offending midrange sound from the FATSO Jr. returns. If you set it up right you'll get the "smoothness" the FATSO Jr. can deliver while the "harshness" of the original tracks will have been tamed.

In the future, if you're tracking the project try to record the drums in a space that has at least 12' high ceilings and have some cymbals on hand that aren't harsh [which was mentioned in a previous post].

At the end of the day there is a fix for damn near everything [audio wise - playing wise, not so much] you just need to spend the time to figure it out.

Peace
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search