The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I guess if it isn't live, then is already processed?
Old 21st August 2016
I guess if it isn't live, then is already processed?

I want to get a high-end converter to track through. But seems like all the tutorials demonstrations, articles I read, etc I see online about ad/da converters, are being used with live instruments. Live bass, live guitar, live vocals with mics, etc. Im doing electronic music so, all software synth based and by not seeing many tutorials involving that, I'm assuming it's because there's no need for it becaus a lot of things are already processed. Am I correct or.....?
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Software synths do not use the soundcard, AD converters. They would only be involved when you playback to listen [D-A].
Old 21st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Software synths do not use the soundcard, AD converters. They would only be involved when you playback to listen [D-A].
I understand that. But would it be pointless to re-track through inteface inputs to make/turn into audio to capture and take advantage of the quality/converters? I just feel like I haven't been taking advantage of that option for a while, due t N the fact that everything I do is softsynth based/internal.

Last edited by rallycapmusic; 21st August 2016 at 09:24 AM..
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Guru

People often run their soft synths through a set of preamps or outboard processing to get some 'warmth', or whatever it is they perceive their equipment to be doing.
Old 21st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
I understand that. But would it be pointless to re-track through inteface inputs to make/turn into audio to capture and take advantage of the quality/converters? I just feel like I haven't been taking advantage of that option for a while, due t N the fact that everything I do is softsynth based/internal.
only reason you would want that would be if you have some good outboard to run it through. running tracks from out to ins will only "degrade" your signal..
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
converters alone is pretty pointless.

the idea behind converters is that they capture the analog signal coming from your source. They digitize the analog source. "Quality" converters do a better job of this. They 'lose' the least amount of information while doing this job.

If your source is a softsynth, it is already digitized. To turn them to analog (send them out of the computer) just so you can do a very good job of converting them back to digital, will result in no net gain. In fact, technically speaking, it will be a slight loss overall. The best that can be said is that you will have the smallest loss with the best converters!

As others have said, you may wish to run your softsynth through other hardware units like compressors or EQs. Things that do something to sound, control-wise and/or that add something to the sound "mojo"-wise. That's a whole different ball-game. A lot of people (like myself) even run synths into guitar amps and mic up the amp.

It should be pointed out that one person's "mojo" is another person's noise and distortion. Having quality converters is important here so that you are only adding the noise and distortion you want from the 'mojo' piece and not from the process of simply going in and out of the computer.

Last edited by joeq; 22nd August 2016 at 04:15 AM..
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Addict

In the real world, string to amplifier equals resonance and the other complex responses of a system.

Meaning, before electricity, they used to amplify acoustic sources with other "boxes" that were never just pure amplification of the source. These infused particular qualities to the "source." (the box of an acoustic guitar)

These are all associated chains...

Now, with electricity, they continue to "process" sources.

Playing effects are just like playing any sort of real chain.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Guru

I wouldn't want to use converters that color the signal enough to make this project worthwhile.

Throw in some outboard, absolutely. But ideally, the converters themselves would be inaudible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search