The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have Schoeps/Elvo stopped making the M222 valve pre amp?
Old 19th August 2016
Have Schoeps/Elvo stopped making the M222 valve pre amp?

I was just wondering what the current models of this Mic Pre amp M222 were (I have an old M222 with 701 around number 400ish) and I noticed it's no longer on the Schoeps website. The Elvo (who made the preamp on behalf of Schoeps) also seems to have not been updated for years.

Thomann which lists most of their products does not list the M222 nor does Funky Junk.

I hope not a genuine modern classic. Such a shame if this has stopped being made.

Any Schoeps fans out their know if this is the case?
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Redding Audio, the USA Schoeps distributor, lists the M222 as having been
DISCONTINUED as of April 2016.

I did not know this and it is indeed sad news.

I heard from Bernhard at ELVO. He said that orders for the mics were coming in at a slow pace that did not justify continuing to make the tube mics.

Wow--he did an outstanding effort over the years. I think that the M222 was introduced in 1996.

Last edited by Plush; 22nd August 2016 at 03:11 PM..
Old 20th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Redding Audio, the USA Schoeps distributor, lists the M222 as having been
DISCONTINUED as of April 2016.

I did not know this and it is indeed sad news.

I do not agree with the decision to discontinue it. I do not know if ELVO or Schoeps made this decision. If Schoeps management made the decision, it is a poorly though out one.

I bet that there are some mics floating around if you contact ELVO directly.
Thanks for replying.

Yes I agree it's a sad day really. This SDC valve mic is special and pretty unique in today's market. I always wanted to buy a second one but never had the money :-( I think I'll pick one up second hand in the future but I bet that will affect prices, which previously were very reasonable on the SH market. I guess that's no longer true.

I always thought they should have done a valve version of the new v4.

I was reading a thread on here were people were saying there was no discernible difference between the CMC6 and M222. I really can't agree with that personally.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, Schoeps discontinued M222 and I think it was a good decision. Few years ago, with lot of enthusiasm and expectations I tried them in detail and was ready to buy them even for that rather astronomical price. But I was quite surprised that I have not heard any reasonable sound improvement over the regular CMC6 bodies ... So I returned them. I think Schoeps should stick to what they are best in - condenser microphones. Also their attempt to make a microphone preamp is not really very interesting in the result.

I also tried Telefunken SD valve microphones. The sound was interesting but the noise level a bit too high unfortunately.
Old 21st August 2016
I'm hoping one day they do some large diaphragms for the cmc6 bodies (switchable or set pattern either way would be ok).
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Yes, Schoeps discontinued M222 and I think it was a good decision. Few years ago, with lot of enthusiasm and expectations I tried them in detail and was ready to buy them even for that rather astronomical price. But I was quite surprised that I have not heard any reasonable sound improvement over the regular CMC6 bodies ... So I returned them. I think Schoeps should stick to what they are best in - condenser microphones. Also their attempt to make a microphone preamp is not really very interesting in the result.

I also tried Telefunken SD valve microphones. The sound was interesting but the noise level a bit too high unfortunately.
All HAIL Ivo!

Later versions of the M222 had a stronger tube flavor. I agree that the originals with the ac701 tube were too similar to the CMC amplifiers. Later, Bernhard Vollmer, at customer's urging and also to conserve ac701 tubes, changed to a tube with more "extreme tube modus."

I cannot share your unenthusiasm for the Schoeps VST-5 mic preamp. I think is really really good. Made for Schoeps by Lake People. Sound is outstanding with unique features. Super clean! German clean!

I have the first one in the United States bought new right when it was released.
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
All HAIL Ivo!

I cannot share your unenthusiasm for the Schoeps VST-5 mic preamp. I think is really really good. Made for Schoeps by Lake People. Sound is outstanding with unique features. Super clean! German clean!
It is ok ... a kind normal clean preamp. I just have bad luck that I usually compare other preamps to Forssell SMP-2 and comparing to it is sounded a bit ... modest ...
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Schoeps should stick to what they are best in - condenser microphones. Also their attempt to make a microphone preamp is not really very interesting in the result.
Ivo, are you speaking of the Schoeps VMS 5 U, or the VSR 5? The latter is a pretty spectacular neutral preamp, definitely better (more neutral, finer textured, lower noise and more effortless dynamics) than the Forssell SMP-2. Unfortunately discontinued. The VMS 5 U is still available and I seem to remember that you once tested that one.
Old 23rd August 2016
Quote:

I have one with the 701, it was exactly what I hoped it would be, like a cmc5/6 but with subtle (or not so subtle if you went tube direct with harmonics) valve harmonics. It sounds beautiful. I did not expect it to sound radically different just subtly valve coloured and it does whilst retaining the legendary detail of the CMC5/6 + Capsules.

I think this comes down to taste. You wanted a much more obvious "valve" flavour, I wanted subtlety and I was very happy.

So I disagree that the product was either overpriced, the Mic cost me £1800 new including a capsule (MKIV), compared to similar high quality hand made mics, that isn't expensive and the Mic preamp is handmade in small numbers by ELVO (a 701 valve seems to cost £500-700 on it's own) or not different enough to a CMC6 and I am an owner of both. I also love the interchangeability of caps, my studio partner and I have 1x M222, 2x CMC6 and 4 caps that we can swap around at will. It's a great system. I'm very happy and our tastes clearly differ, but I have to disagree with your opinion, it's very different from this owners experience. Still each to their own ;-)

Last edited by Neil Pickles; 23rd August 2016 at 10:02 AM..
Old 24th August 2016

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search