The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Modules sounding better in the Purple Sweet Ten? 500 Series Chassis
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilddyr View Post
well, it's not that subjective is it? Does it sound different or not? Posting a statement and starting a thread saying something like this, needs to be backed up by evidence.
Your call for comparison files "or it didn't happen" is asinine. Totally amateur, baby. You should not post this garbage on GS.

The reason is that YOU are not the arbiter of taste or of truth.

Your behavior is most unbecoming because you immediately distrust the OP.

Instead--engage the person in a dialogue and find out what is going on.

We should not allow your uncivil discourse on GS.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Addict

Wow. Chill out please dont let your personal craving for drama infest GS.

All I did was point out, that such a claim is easy to make, but equally easy to actually back up with sound samples. If you want to keep GS a hi-fi voodoo forum with hundreds of "facts" that are really just claims, be my guest. It's not about trust, it's about stuff like this being valuable to everyone here. It's a forum, not 200.000 user blogs. I would never start a thread like this without illustrating my findings - a more scientific approach to things would suite a lot of the discussions in here.
Old 22nd August 2016
Different power supplies/racks sound different. That can be entirely objectively heard. Whether the purple is 'better' or not is entirely subjective. We did a massive 500 series rack/power supply test here. They all sounded different. Objectively speaking, the purple sounded 'brighter. It certainly had much more transient information. At the other end of the spectrum, the API 6 slot sounded fuller and richer. Others might prefer this. Which of these equates to 'better' is an entirely subjective question.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Addict

No one is denying that sounding [I]better[I] is a subjective matter. Which is even more reason to provide some examples of what is defined as better

I don't get this weird "if you want to know, research yourself" argument. It's silly - the whole point of a forum is to learn from each other, and share knowledge. But I am sorry to say, that a statement like "this thing sounds better" is quite a bit more usable to everyone, if the difference can be heard.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
drBill-
My point is not that ps can be upgraded, or that power doesn't make a difference, just that unlike a few of the things we hear in audio, this stuff is very quantifiable. As dand and others point out filtering/ripple, regulation ['stiffness'], stability, ground plane [lowest impedance to ground for example], ESR of caps, etc etc. ARE audible! Switch mode supplies get a bad rap because many of them do not properly 'filter the hash' [out of band noise] among other things, as Dan makes his mod for. Few PS don't benefit from improved grounding, increased and better caps, better regulation, etc.. Most manufacturers can only go so far before finances intrude. Some don't know what do actually do...

Re Consoles- I used to just toss the supplies that came with many popular British consoles... grabbed a Lambda or other lab grade supply, and bang - lower noise, better LF!

A great new upgrade for most consoles are the Atomic supplies from Norman and Reid. It can lower noise significantly, and reduce power consumed/wasted, and can lower your cooling bill quite a bit. Highly recommended! Makes a big diff. on SSL, VR's, 9098's, etc.
http://www.atomicinstrument.com/products/
Old 23rd August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilddyr View Post
No one is denying that sounding [I]better[I] is a subjective matter. Which is even more reason to provide some examples of what is defined as better

I don't get this weird "if you want to know, research yourself" argument. It's silly - the whole point of a forum is to learn from each other, and share knowledge. But I am sorry to say, that a statement like "this thing sounds better" is quite a bit more usable to everyone, if the difference can be heard.
You are entirely right. It would be beautiful if every reference to a piece of gear made was backed up by an audio file. But, living in the real world, that takes a lot more time than patching from one piece of gear to another for your own benefit.

And while this forum is entirely intended to be an exchange of information, asking someone to spend several hours setting up tests and recording the outcome, volume matching, blah blah blah before they give any view on a piece of gear (when all they ever wanted was to do a quick shootout for themselves) would lead to a very quiet forum indeed.
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are entirely right. It would be beautiful if every reference to a piece of gear made was backed up by an audio file. But, living in the real world, that takes a lot more time than patching from one piece of gear to another for your own benefit.

And while this forum is entirely intended to be an exchange of information, asking someone to spend several hours setting up tests and recording the outcome, volume matching, blah blah blah before they give any view on a piece of gear (when all they ever wanted was to do a quick shootout for themselves) would lead to a very quiet forum indeed.
Precisely. I agree having an audio file is ideal. But the test was for my buddy and myself. I didn't go into it with the intent of sharing my findings with fellow GS. Plus the purple and radial were borrowed and I no longer have them in my possession. But I have sparked the curiosity of a few fellow engineers in town...so that itself maybe turn into something more formal that we can plan to post.

And why I took the stance of "research it yourself", was mostly due to:
  1. I currently don't have the time to conduct another test.
  2. Nor do we have any commercially free material to release at this time.
  3. I no longer have the gear
  4. And most importantly, if you care enough about it to complain, then by all means...research it yourself.
Pretty reasonable IMO.
Old 23rd August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:

Plus, no good deed goes unpunished as they say.... Invariably, you will be criticized for not including XYZ, vocal not dry, vocal not placed in the mix, conducted in Pro Tools instead of XYZ Daw, not posting 96k WAV files, not using a certain testing protocol, etc., etc., etc....

As a poster who has put up some VERY extensive tests, I can guarantee that the comments will be mixed, and full of love and hate.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
We did a massive 500 series rack/power supply test here. They all sounded different. Objectively speaking, the purple sounded 'brighter. It certainly had much more transient information. At the other end of the spectrum, the API 6 slot sounded fuller and richer. Others might prefer this. Which of these equates to 'better' is an entirely subjective question.
Hey Trev,
could you post your impression on the API 6 AND 8 slot, the BAE 11, the Fredenstein 10 and the purple?

Not a better or worst (which might be subjective) list, but just like you did above, describing the "qualities" of each LB..

Thank you!

Cheu
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Different power supplies/racks sound different. That can be entirely objectively heard. Whether the purple is 'better' or not is entirely subjective. We did a massive 500 series rack/power supply test here. They all sounded different. Objectively speaking, the purple sounded 'brighter. It certainly had much more transient information. At the other end of the spectrum, the API 6 slot sounded fuller and richer. Others might prefer this. Which of these equates to 'better' is an entirely subjective question.
Just seeing this post of yours...Maybe it was your post (if you posted it) that I saw. I remember liking the how the API 6 slot sounded. And you're right about the Purple...the top end opened up and there was more resolution and transient info for sure. Which is what I liked over the radial. API did have flavor tho.
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post
Very cool...do you have an assembled option?
I added these recently for the guys who want fully assembled options.

DC POWER BOX – Collective Cases
Old 20th October 2016
Gear Addict

Engineers are some of the most unnecessarily irritating people on the planet...
Old 24th October 2016
Gear Nut

Last year there was a thread comparing the API 500-6B and Lindell 506 lunchboxes. The API sounded 'fuller and richer' for sure. You can hear samples in the link below.

API Chassis vs Lindell Chassis
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I added these recently for the guys who want fully assembled options.

DC POWER BOX – Collective Cases
Hey Dan,

do you think that the filtering board could fit inside the Radial Sixpack itself ?
If I could spare myself having to carry another box beside the power supply and sixpack itself, I will just buy the kit without the box.

Also, about the bypassable voltage regulator...
I'm mostly going to be using my rack with Bart HRK's Color modules, a lot of which already have built-in voltage regulator and power filtering...

I've came to understand that there's no such a thing as too much filtering.
Is it also true with regulating ? Does a "cheap" aditionnal regulation stage could cause any kind of noise, lack of transient etc (like it can be with filtering if condenser's ESR is too high for example) ?
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonidos View Post
Hey Dan,

do you think that the filtering board could fit inside the Radial Sixpack itself ?
If I could spare myself having to carry another box beside the power supply and sixpack itself, I will just buy the kit without the box.

Also, about the bypassable voltage regulator...
I'm mostly going to be using my rack with Bart HRK's Color modules, a lot of which already have built-in voltage regulator and power filtering...

I've came to understand that there's no such a thing as too much filtering.
Is it also true with regulating ? Does a "cheap" aditionnal regulation stage could cause any kind of noise, lack of transient etc (like it can be with filtering if condenser's ESR is too high for example) ?
I am not sure if it would fit inside the Sixpack. I don't own one of those so I have no idea how it would work out.

As far as regulation. It can be helpful to sub regulate down then regulate down again but only in certain applications. It wouldn't work here and probably would be of no benefit. The main thing is to have solid rails after the regulations. Which the filtering would help out with.

Talk to you soon.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search