The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Closed Back Headphones For Tracking
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Addict
High End Closed Back Headphones For Tracking

What are some really good bang for the buck high end headphones for tracking? Budget about $800. Thank you.

Last edited by kr1012; 18th August 2016 at 01:47 PM..
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Definitely a closed back design for tracking. If they're for clients, I'd just get the most indestructible thing you can find. I went through too many 7506's before Buying something people would have a harder time breaking. Though I'd never reference them while mixing, the Beyerdynamic DT 770's I've used for a few years have been for me, a good balance of quality sound and robust build. They've been on countless heads, hold up great, and don't leak sound back into a vocal mic. That said, next time I'll probably just get the most robust closed back thing on the market.
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

While I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't spend $800 on closed back headphones but I am curious to see what others think about this. These days we have some incredible cans available to us in that pricerange but I invariably prefer open back headphones for listening. Have you guys had a different experience?

For the past three or four years, I've used a pair of HiFiMan HE-6's for reference and their incredible detail has been a big help. For me, cans are good for details, but are no replacement for monitors when it comes to hearing the "whole picture." Just my own experience.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

My tracking headphones: Audeze LCD-XC. They're more than your price point but they're the closest to the sound of great speakers and the closest to the sound of open back headphones I've heard. They are only used by me (not the talent) except if I have a VIP musician.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Addict
Love love love my Sony 7520. Unhyped.
Lee
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
My tracking headphones: Audeze LCD-XC. They're more than your price point but they're the closest to the sound of great speakers and the closest to the sound of open back headphones I've heard. They are only used by me (not the talent) except if I have a VIP musician.
Very happy with these? Ive been thinking of getting a pair, I already have a pair of sennheiser hd800 but need a great pair of closed back so were thinking of these or the fostex th900 mk2
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan View Post
Love love love my Sony 7520. Unhyped.
Lee
same, i highly recommend the sony md7520 for analytical and precise sound............. very clear and detailed sound.
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Very happy with the LCD-X. They are like the 800S (not the 800) as they don't have the little high-freq bump the 800 has.
Of course, as closed back headphones, they aren't as comfortable being worn a long time both because of weight and because the heat generated. But plenty comfortable for 1 hour sessions that are followed by breaks.
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Focal spirit pro for tracking- some have complained about durability but I haven't had a problem. Well inside your budget - excellent isolation and great sound. Not uncomfortable, not amazingly comfortable. But tracking usually doesn't involve really long periods of time
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very happy with the LCD-X. They are like the 800S (not the 800) as they don't have the little high-freq bump the 800 has.
Of course, as closed back headphones, they aren't as comfortable being worn a long time both because of weight and because the heat generated. But plenty comfortable for 1 hour sessions that are followed by breaks.
I think I may get a pair, so wait.. YOu have the lcd-x and the lcd-xc? If yes, which do you prefer and why? Thanks
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I think I may get a pair, so wait.. YOu have the lcd-x and the lcd-xc? If yes, which do you prefer and why? Thanks
Sorry. Just the XC. Mistype.

I had heard the X first from a friend on a Grace headphone amp and that made me want to try the XC since a closed-back headphone was something I needed in my arsenal. The X and XC sounded 99% the same.

I have Sennheisers for my open cans.
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Never used them but the new Beyer DT 1770s must be worth a hard look.
Cheers
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry. Just the XC. Mistype.

I had heard the X first from a friend on a Grace headphone amp and that made me want to try the XC since a closed-back headphone was something I needed in my arsenal. The X and XC sounded 99% the same.

I have Sennheisers for my open cans.
I see. Yes Ive actually heard the xc, however, it was at NAMM I believe and couldnt do a comparison to my hd800. Im very interested in either the x or xc (probably both eventually lol). As an Hd800 owner, I should be quite happy with the xc yes?
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Addict
I really like the AKG K550 for tracking. Makes it easy to hear the vocal, even when using something like a cruddy youtube instrumental converted to wav. I'm having to do some tweaking by routing the vocals and their fx to a buss and the instrumental track to a buss. I just put all the plug-in inserts on the busses and a Sknote strip instance on the master fader. Never heard the focal stuff and would certainly like to.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

My experience with the Audeze actually is they sound nothing like either the HD800 or HD800s. Their sound a bit darker. Not saying one is better than the other but you won't find anything with the resolution of the HD800/s, in the closed headphone market (or open other than stax from what I have tried).

So with that said, I would say go for something that sounds great and gets the job done. Sennheiser Amperiors or Focal Spirit are great options.
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Addict
I've tried I think it was the LCD 2 and 3 some years back. Completely hated them. Very different from everything else. Amperiors are good, but can be a little harsh even with neutral sources like a Sansa Clip.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

I love my XCs. They sound very different from Sennheisers. HD800s have a very precise soundstage where everything sounds kind of far away, while the Audezes make everything sound close and big.

DT770s are my workhorse for tracking, though.
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Addict

Focal spirit pro's. Probably the sony 7520's too, but only know 7506 and v6...v6 is a really good budget option. Some of the hd's and beyer's have high ohm ratings that you'd really need a headphone amp to do it right, but the spirits and Sony's you could get away without.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I love my XCs. They sound very different from Sennheisers. HD800s have a very precise soundstage where everything sounds kind of far away, while the Audezes make everything sound close and big.

DT770s are my workhorse for tracking, though.
Great description. I think I should add a pair to my hd800 setup myself.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Great discription. I think I should add a pair to my hd800 setup myself.
Yes, I had to get upgrade my monitors to a set of Lipinskis (like ATC but better hehe) to get the HD800 resolution. They are really fantastic headphones. In sheer resolution better than almost all the monitor speakers under 10k.
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Yes, I had to get upgrade my monitors to a set of Lipinskis (like ATC but better hehe) to get the HD800 resolution. They are really fantastic headphones. In sheer resolution better than almost all the monitor speakers under 10k.
I agree 100%!!!!!!!!
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

I was just given a pair of BLUE Lola headphones, and I'm shocked how much I like them. Sound great, fit snuggly, and are comfortable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search