The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for Avalon737 replacement
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Looking for Avalon737 replacement

I've had my Avalon for about 7-8 years now and had to change the tubes twice in the past year. I now have an issue where im getting very low volume. This just started so I haven't had a chance to check the tubes yet. I just hooked the mic up to my Apollo directly and started using the the Apollo pre and the la2a plugin to compress lightly going in for now.

I am going to get my Avalon fixed either way but I now have the itch to try something else. It's the only outboard preamp/compressor/eq i have. But im looking for something in the $2000 range. Preferably an all in one channel strip but ill take any suggestions. I mainly record rap and r&b vocals. My mic is a Neumann TLM170. I was looking at something like the Manley Core but don't know much about it or anyone with experience with it. Any suggestions? THANKS!
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Check out the Sebatron Thorax valve channel strip .

It's a tube pre with an optical compressor and an 'enhancement' EQ that suits the tlm perfectly. I find it very organic and versatile as I can get all the vocal textures I need from brittle and upfront to laid back and smooth.
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
I've had my Avalon for about 7-8 years now and had to change the tubes twice in the past year. I now have an issue where im getting very low volume. This just started so I haven't had a chance to check the tubes yet. I just hooked the mic up to my Apollo directly and started using the the Apollo pre and the la2a plugin to compress lightly going in for now.

I am going to get my Avalon fixed either way but I now have the itch to try something else. It's the only outboard preamp/compressor/eq i have. But im looking for something in the $2000 range. Preferably an all in one channel strip but ill take any suggestions. I mainly record rap and r&b vocals. My mic is a Neumann TLM170. I was looking at something like the Manley Core but don't know much about it or anyone with experience with it. Any suggestions? THANKS!
Ever thought about getting into the apollo unison pres?
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Addict

You could also do the faster compressor mod, this added new life to my original 737.
Old 19th August 2016
Here for the gear
I own the Manley Core. I have no idea how its compressor compares with the 737, but it is a very open, polished sounding front end that is for sure. The compression is very very transparent.
Old 19th August 2016
Quote:

I like the Avalon though agree with many others the compressor is not as good as the Pre AMP/Filter/EQ it has. Problem is most channel strips have a weak spot. The Millenias STT1s have no HPF as an example and the Universal Audio has a very limited EQ.

The UAD 6176 is something I'd recommend as an alternative to the 737 though, Great Pre surprisingly useful EQ despite fact its just a high and low shelf and a killer 1176 compressor. What's not to like? I think it fits in your price range too.

I'd keep the Avalon though it's seemingly much derided on here it has never failed to get me a great use able sound on absolutely anything quickly and without any problems.
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSCO View Post
Check out the Sebatron Thorax valve channel strip .

It's a tube pre with an optical compressor and an 'enhancement' EQ that suits the tlm perfectly. I find it very organic and versatile as I can get all the vocal textures I need from brittle and upfront to laid back and smooth.
Hmm...Never even heard of the brand but it looks very interesting. Not much info on it online. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Ever thought about getting into the apollo unison pres?
I'm actually using the Manley Voxbox plugin right now and getting great results! I'm def about to purchase it. Running the 14 day demo right now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
You could also do the faster compressor mod, this added new life to my original 737.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie17 View Post
I own the Manley Core. I have no idea how its compressor compares with the 737, but it is a very open, polished sounding front end that is for sure. The compression is very very transparent.
This is good to know. In looking around, It's the one that makes the most sense and though I know it isn't the same but using the UAD voxbox plugin has me def leaning towards Manley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
I like the Avalon though agree with many others the compressor is not as good as the Pre AMP/Filter/EQ it has. Problem is most channel strips have a weak spot. The Millenias STT1s have no HPF as an example and the Universal Audio has a very limited EQ.

The UAD 6176 is something I'd recommend as an alternative to the 737 though, Great Pre surprisingly useful EQ despite fact its just a high and low shelf and a killer 1176 compressor. What's not to like? I think it fits in your price range too.

I'd keep the Avalon though it's seemingly much derided on here it has never failed to get me a great use able sound on absolutely anything quickly and without any problems.
A friend of mine has the 6176 but he's had his for years and not sure if he's ever even had any maintenance on it and it was used by someone else before him too but I guess it's worth asking if I can demo it. Thanks for the info!
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm...Never even heard of the brand but it looks very interesting. Not much info on it online. Thanks

I'm actually using the Manley Voxbox plugin right now and getting great results! I'm def about to purchase it. Running the 14 day demo right now. Thanks!

This is good to know. In looking around, It's the one that makes the most sense and though I know it isn't the same but using the UAD voxbox plugin has me def leaning towards Manley.

A friend of mine has the 6176 but he's had his for years and not sure if he's ever even had any maintenance on it and it was used by someone else before him too but I guess it's worth asking if I can demo it. Thanks for the info!
Yea man they really are amazing! How are you liking it in comparison to your former Avalon?
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear
Aurora Audio GTQC and call it a day. I think i saw one in the classifieds. Great pre. Smooth eq. Optical and fet compresion. BOOM!!!
Old 20th August 2016
KBA
Here for the gear

After I saw the many molex connectors, un-shielded power supply and operating parameter measurements on o-scope I can no longer consider the Universal Audio brand for my needs. The man did ask"what's not to like?"
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear
I had 747's. They were boring, but really put things in a neat pocket. Best horn/421 pre I have ever used. Used to take the top off and some EQ rolls, was nice.

If you want that pocket sound, I think Summit and Millinia are the best alternatives to another Avalon.

If you don't care about that neat pocket, you get into the classic color preamps. Neve and API clones.
Neve better at slower tempo, API better at fast tempo. I like the clones from this place: http://www.reviveaudio.com/
Old 20th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBA View Post
After I saw the many molex connectors, un-shielded power supply and operating parameter measurements on o-scope I can no longer consider the Universal Audio brand for my needs. The man did ask"what's not to like?"
Well I've had 2 over the years and they sound great, so whilst I can't argue with your technical appraisal (I'm not qualified to do so) I can strongly recommend them from a sonic sound point. They sound great, I've got good results and the ones I've had have been reliable. DI is great on them too. How did it sound? Good.

For sure I have things that are better built and arguable sound (even) better, but they're up another price point from what the OP seemed to be aiming for.
Old 20th August 2016
Gear Maniac

I would get a BAE 1073 mpf + 1176

Better sound and no tube issues
Old 20th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazi View Post
I would get a BAE 1073 mpf + 1176

Better sound and no tube issues
And about $3000 higher than the OPs target price ;-)

Even second hand you won't pick up a BAE 1073 channel strip with PSU and an 1176 for $2000all in (unless you were super lucky) though undoubtedly a superb recording set up.
Old 20th August 2016
Gear Maniac

I got mine for 2700 both, new
Yes its more money i know
But its really really worth saving the extra 700
Im chasing in the preamp jungle for sooo many years. I made some real salesman experience over the years by selling and buying gear LoL

Anyway, this is (my) ' holy grail ' vocal chain
After this i never needed something else
In musicstores im only watching the microphones department now

Peace
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Aurora Audio GTQC and call it a day. I think i saw one in the classifieds. Great pre. Smooth eq. Optical and fet compresion. BOOM!!!
An engineer buddy of mine at Aftermath loves this too!
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear
Oh Yeah!?

Well this is MY holy grail vocal chain. Serial #1

Quote:
Im chasing in the preamp jungle for sooo many years. I made some real salesman experience over the years by selling and buying gear LoL

Peace
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Avalon737 replacement-20160820_192751.jpg  
Old 21st August 2016
Quote:

Peace
I'm not disagreeing that that is a superior set up. It's just easy to forget that sometimes when people say I have $2000 they really mean it. I'm skint right now so if I set a price ceiling on something I mean it. (for now ;-) )
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Maniac

Ok i understand
Im sorry i got too high..

Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear
There is an Aurora Audio GTQC in the classifieds right now listed at $1900. Do yourself a favor and look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
I'm not disagreeing that that is a superior set up. It's just easy to forget that sometimes when people say I have $2000 they really mean it. I'm skint right now so if I set a price ceiling on something I mean it. (for now ;-) )
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
There is an Aurora Audio GTQC in the classifieds right now listed at $1900. Do yourself a favor and look into it.
+1

Or GTQ2+DBX160X/XT

Very much regret selling a GTQ2 and am in the midst of selling some stuff to replace it. Either would be a not-at-all subtle upgrade to the 737.
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Having owned both, I liked the compressor better in the LA 610 MKII
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

ADL 700?
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear
I have an Millennia Origin STT-1 channel strip.

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to be able to buy a BAE 1073D and a Retro STA Level to make a new recording chain for my Wunder CM7.

As you can imagine the BAE and Retro STA Level make a fantastic chain for vocal.

BUT

To be brutally honest, after AB comparing the BAE and STA Level to the Millennia when the STT-1 is set to valve path for both the pre and the compressor and also switiching the transformer into the vale pre path on the STT-1, I must say my respect for the STT-1 has gone up enormously.

Yes the BAE and STA Level are a bit smoother and a bit classier sounding but I am amazed at the amount of colour the transfomer and valves in the STT-1 actually generates - it's not night and day stuff the BAE and STA Level are only maybe 10% more magical.

Therefore I currently have the Millennia Origin STT-1 as a great channel strip in my book.
Old 23rd August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I have an Millennia Origin STT-1 channel strip.

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to be able to buy a BAE 1073D and a Retro STA Level to make a new recording chain for my Wunder CM7.

As you can imagine the BAE and Retro STA Level make a fantastic chain for vocal.

BUT

To be brutally honest, after AB comparing the BAE and STA Level to the Millennia when the STT-1 is set to valve path for both the pre and the compressor and also switiching the transformer into the vale pre path on the STT-1, I must say my respect for the STT-1 has gone up enormously.

Yes the BAE and STA Level are a bit smoother and a bit classier sounding but I am amazed at the amount of colour the transfomer and valves in the STT-1 actually generates - it's not night and day stuff the BAE and STA Level are only maybe 10% more magical.

Therefore I currently have the Millennia Origin STT-1 as a great channel strip in my book.
I love using the Millenia STT1 on inserts when mixing with the transformer kicked in and in valve mode, it really takes the edge off distorted "amp sims" nicely. It's a great box. I also love that if you go solid state and no transformer you have a very purist recording chain. My only issue is the poor design of the knobs which over time come loose and start falling off :-( But given you can get these £2500 units for around £1500 second hand it is a good choice, still not as coloured as the Neve clones though.
Old 23rd August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
ADL 700?
I've always been interested in this. Anyone got one. You never know due to it's less glamorous badging it may be fantastic and terribly undervalued. Anyone got one? Care to comment?
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

I have the adl 600 which is the pre oly version and with stock tubes it sound really really good. Looking forward putting some new tubes in it and really giving it a workout.
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Maniac

I really liked the sound of the adl700.
But the unit broke 2 times. First the gain stage. After that the on/off switch didn't work anymore.
6 months having it, it was 5 months in repair. (Had 2 units, both had issues)
After that i returned it for a greatriver (build like a tank)
Thats my experience
But still it was a really good sound. Too bad

Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

Put all that money towards warm audio gear.

All used BIN eBay prices:

WA-12 - $328
WA-1176 - $450
WE-PEQ - $550

$1328 and I saved you a bunch of money and left you with a killer chain!!!

Trade out the 1176 for a WA-WA2A new and you have a total price of:

$1,777

I personally never liked the Avalon 737, it was one of those over-hyped pieces of fear that all the Rap guys thought was best so they demanded it.
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

I have an ADL700. No issues with it breaking or anything. Works great. Sounds great!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search