The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tired of Symphony fan noise. What's next? Digital Converters
Old 18th August 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
Tired of Symphony fan noise. What's next?

I'd like to be able to track vocals in my control room. I had an isobox but even the fan from that was too noisy. I want a silent control room. Other than putting the symphony outside the room which I would need to spend a lot on running the cables, which converter do you suggest should be my next move?
Old 18th August 2016
  #2
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
I went the other way. I moved my "vocal booth" into my walk-in closet full of clothes. I just ran the mike cable and monitoring to my closet, and use my iPad to control Logic.
Old 18th August 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
catfishmusic's Avatar
I'd just have apogee look at it, they've always been great to deal with in my experience....mine is super quiet, I can track acoustic guitar sitting right next to my symphony and it's not a problem.
Old 18th August 2016
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Orion
Old 18th August 2016
  #5
Gear Addict
 

just add a little pink noise to everything
Old 18th August 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

The crazy thing is how this unit ended up in so many single room or home studios where clearly any device-generated noise is going to kill that perfect take. I used to have an old Mac that had my oh so carefully balanced acoustic takes fade into a fan. Never again.

So I always got this unit when it ended up in a pro facility where machine rooms and equipment separation is the standard - but in a home studio?

With so many other choices (including Apogee's own silent, fanless Thunderbolt Ensemble), I just don't get this and I never did. Otherwise a great unit.

Cdlt
Old 18th August 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
The crazy thing is how this unit ended up in so many single room or home studios where clearly any device-generated noise is going to kill that perfect take. I used to have an old Mac that had my oh so carefully balanced acoustic takes fade into a fan. Never again.

So I always got this unit when it ended up in a pro facility where machine rooms and equipment separation is the standard - but in a home studio?

With so many other choices (including Apogee's own silent, fanless Thunderbolt Ensemble), I just don't get this and I never did. Otherwise a great unit.

Cdlt
Except there was a fix for the fan noise and it did work better. Plus the new Symphony MKII is super quiet.
Old 18th August 2016
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
Except there was a fix for the fan noise and it did work better. Plus the new Symphony MKII is super quiet.
Except the vent mod "fix" didn't work for many units with more than one card, judging from multiple reports on this site. That appears to be deciding factor. Not a great result for a modular system.

Yet some customers who had fan issues with the first version despite vent mod are willing to fork over money for the second version. What if another unrelated problem arises with second version? Why should they trust apogee to properly fix it?
Old 18th August 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by js230 View Post
Except the vent mod "fix" didn't work for many units with more than one card, judging from multiple reports on this site. That appears to be deciding factor. Not a great result for a modular system.

Yet some customers who had fan issues with the first version despite vent mod are willing to fork over money for the second version. What if another unrelated problem arises with second version? Why should they trust apogee to properly fix it?
It's up to you man. Fact is the number of people who had fan issues is not large and the fact is the majority who did not are not saying anything, they are busy working.

The people with issues always are the first speak up on the Internet and shout the loudest. As the happy campers usually don't say anything.

Now one can sit around doubting, maybe not taking this into account. One can not realize that for a lot of people the fix and subsequent change did work.


Thing is lots of studios do use multiple card Symphonies. Thing is Apogee even implemented a chassis mod. Thing is now there is a new model that is has even better specs with Thunderbolt built.

Apogee has pretty damn good customer service and they have never let me down.

Oh and if you look at the Symphony MKII thread you will see that the new version is getting great reviews.
Old 18th August 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
What about the burl mothership? How is the fan noise on that?
Old 18th August 2016
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
It's up to you man. Fact is the number of people who had fan issues is not large and the fact is the majority who did not are not saying anything, they are busy working.

The people with issues always are the first speak up on the Internet and shout the loudest. As the happy campers usually don't say anything.

Now one can sit around doubting, maybe not taking this into account. One can not realize that for a lot of people the fix and subsequent change did work.


Thing is lots of studios do use multiple card Symphonies. Thing is Apogee even implemented a chassis mod. Thing is now there is a new model that is has even better specs with Thunderbolt built.

Apogee has pretty damn good customer service and they have never let me down.

Oh and if you look at the Symphony MKII thread you will see that the new version is getting great reviews.
I frankly do not understand your motive here other than to discredit legitimately unhappy customers. Maybe you should think about them and their experience vs your own.

The number of people who had fan issues was enough for Apogee to offer a chassis modification, so clearly a fair amount of people!

There are a few salient facts which actually matter here, the rest is noise, like assumptions that a great flock of happy customers is saying nothing. Anyone is free to draw his or her own conclusions, but not without accounting for these facts.


1) Apogee considered the noise enough of a problem to fix the design properly in the mark II version!


https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11948562-post350.html

2) Customers each spent thousands of dollars on a modular system, the whole appeal of which is modularity, only to find that when they added cards, they would get unacceptable noise in recording environment, and that the vent-mod didn't fix it, and they posted on this site. A clear trend emerged that the vent-mod was a good solution for units with single cards, but not necessarily multiple cards, due to added heat for each card (particularly with preamp card). This was apparently confirmed to one customer here by Apogee.

See, for example

Apogee Symphony I/O fan noise drives me Crazy!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10506948-post1.html


3) If a proper fix for the customers was not technically possible (qualified by 1, so at the time) or economically feasible for Apogee, they could still have offered the customers affected in 2) a reasonable discount toward either the mark II, which appears to actually fix the fan problem with multiple cards, or another mark I chassis, for their additional card causing noise.
If it was only like you suggest a few customers affected, then this would have been easy solution. Publicly at least, this did not happen.

-

Here is my own view, based on these facts. Anyone is free to disagree.

There are boutique companies that actually do go above and beyond to keep all their customers happy. Bricasti is one of them. They don't just claim the problem is "fixed" and move on.

Personally I don't trust Apogee anymore, so if there turns out to be a design or manufacturing problem with the MKII, I don't want to be responsible for dealing with it, since there's a possibility given the situation above that Apogee won't provide a solution if it doesn't meet their cost/benefit framework.
Old 18th August 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 

I owned the Mk1 version and currently own the Mk2. I personally haven't had issues with either. Get in touch with Apogee. They're great and will do all they can to help.
Old 18th August 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstockAudio View Post
I owned the Mk1 version and currently own the Mk2. I personally haven't had issues with either. Get in touch with Apogee. They're great and will do all they can to help.
I did. I installed the vent modification but it didnt help. Then they recommended to go back to the isobox which I already explained had a fan and was too noisy.
Old 18th August 2016
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
Geetarpicker's Avatar
 

The fan noise on the original Symphony units is one of the main reasons I'm still sitting here with my old AD16x and DA16x fan free units. That said, reports are the new mkii fans are a different animal and I haven't seen a bad report yet. Any other owners of the new units have more to add? Not that it really helps mki owners but it's worth it's own thread for sure...
Old 19th August 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I went the other way. I moved my "vocal booth" into my walk-in closet full of clothes. I just ran the mike cable and monitoring to my closet, and use my iPad to control Logic.
My Control Room sounds so good though and I don't think my clients would feel comfortable being shoved into a closet lol.
Old 19th August 2016
  #16
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
My Control Room sounds so good though and I don't think my clients would feel comfortable being shoved into a closet lol.
Just hang some nice women's clothes in there with a light misting of Obsession. Business will shoot up. Clientele mix might change a bit.
Old 19th August 2016
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

that is the reason I choose 1apollo and 2 apllo 16 ( silver)which are fanless and dead quiet. have also a burl bommber ad, just in case .
but for me ( not top 10 professional engineer, but gearslutz high end hobbyist, if that makes sense) that is a perfect setup.
Old 31st August 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
Can anyone describe the noise amount and frequency of the symphony mkii? Is it quiet enough for long enough to be put in the control room and do vocal tracking sessions in the same room?
Old 31st August 2016
  #19
Gear Maniac
the fan noise will depend on ambient temperature and whether you have one or two expansion cards installed.
In my non-airconditioned control room, there is no problem with my MK I units during winter, in summertime the fans get pretty annoying.
I bought a rather expensive new fan from Apogee and it turned out to be louder than the old one.
Old 3rd September 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
What about the burl mothership? How is the fan noise on that?
the new ones dont have a fan at all
Old 3rd September 2016
  #21
Get a lynx, They don't have a fan and get super hot, but it doesn't make any noise. I only have one card in my S io and its in consistent 25 degrees and the computer is far louder.
Old 5th January 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
I can safely say Apogee symphony mk II is a winner. Dead quiet.
Old 20th December 2018
  #23
Gear Head
 

Hi guys. Just thought yall might be interested to hear how I fixed my new (to me) Symphony MK1’s fan noise in about an hour.

Used a noctua 60mm. The connectors fit perfectly but it wasnt working at first.

Derp! Then I realized the red n black wires needed to be swapped.

I used the included extender cable. Cut it short & crossed the R&B wires, soldered back together, shrank each wire n shrank over the whole line again for pretty.

Dead quiet operation w/ 32ch analog I/Os & just whispers w the bootup blast. Ive done this w a lot of old gear, the fans do get noisier over the yrs. It made a world of dif on the Soundcraft Ghost PSU as well as the MPC4K. The MPC needed a few more hush mods but thats a whole other story. Anyway, yeh if youre having sound troubles n dont wanna spend 6K$... worth a shot!

Hope this helps at least one person!

(Edit) Any quiet fan may do. This is the one I personally choose but am not invested enough to defend the brand at all.
Old 21st December 2018
  #24
Check the CFM spec, find a matching Silenx fan, problem solved. All I hear here are those hard drives spinning. A SSD solves that too.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump