The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG BX type reverb alternatives
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

For algorithmic spring reverb simulation, these 3 sound cool... each in their own way. Though I don't know if one would call them "high end".

Spirit Reverb: Spring Reverb Cosmic Reverb Effects - Aegean Music

Overloud Audio Tools - SpringAge

PSP SpringBox an emulation of a hardware spring reverberator.

If you're up for spending coin on hardware, I'd have to check out...

SPRINGTIME - IGS Audio
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

this has been said many times before, but worth repeating.
It's not such a good use of time to listen to a sample of something thru a hardware box and a plug-in- especially something like a BX20. The beauty of the spring is that it responds differently depending on the source material you feed it. The plug will not do this (someone please correct me if this has been accurately modeled).
It's what makes the hardware verbs so musical and intriguing. I have compared many plugs to my BX20 over the years, and while some do sound pretty darn good, the BX20 always sounds more "interesting" and musical. Once you learn "how" it's going to react, you can feed it different EQ shapes and squish and get some beautiful sounds.

Same thing applies to mics. You learn very little just singing straight into a couple of mics. It's not until you actually use them in sessions that you learn their value. or not! What's the off-axis sound and rejection? will it fold on you or stand up to a huge vocal belting? What does it sound like under this duress? Lots of crucial info.
Anyway, good luck on the search- it's a fun one.
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
So you are saying that the UAD AKG BX-20 plugin doesn't get you anywhere near the sound of the AKG BX-20 hardware? Interesting, I listened to some comparisons between the plugin and the real thing and it was pretty damn close I have to say.
IMO, its like any other "plug VS the real thing", it dosent sound the same BUT that dosent mean that it isnt useful.

the UAD 31102 dosent sound just like my real ones, but if I need more than the two I have, I certainly will use them.

best,
sean
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Maniac

How about the Strymon Big Sky spring? Probably a different character? I dont know how its made, if it models something or if it just puts out the same response to whatever you feed it? It shure buys me a lot of options - more than a plugin..
Old 22nd August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
this has been said many times before, but worth repeating.
It's not such a good use of time to listen to a sample of something thru a hardware box and a plug-in- especially something like a BX20. The beauty of the spring is that it responds differently depending on the source material you feed it. The plug will not do this (someone please correct me if this has been accurately modeled).
It's what makes the hardware verbs so musical and intriguing. I have compared many plugs to my BX20 over the years, and while some do sound pretty darn good, the BX20 always sounds more "interesting" and musical. Once you learn "how" it's going to react, you can feed it different EQ shapes and squish and get some beautiful sounds.

Same thing applies to mics. You learn very little just singing straight into a couple of mics. It's not until you actually use them in sessions that you learn their value. or not! What's the off-axis sound and rejection? will it fold on you or stand up to a huge vocal belting? What does it sound like under this duress? Lots of crucial info.
Anyway, good luck on the search- it's a fun one.
Yes this is how the little EMT plate behaves. Completely different on all sources, with a rhythmic skip/bounce you can't get from a plug in properly.
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
The beauty of the spring is that it responds differently depending on the source material you feed it. The plug will not do this (someone please correct me if this has been accurately modeled).
I agree with you somewhat. However, Acustica Nebula spring reverbs get VERY close, and also close to changing dynamically according to what's fed into it. Although I'm sure it's not quite as dynamic in some cases as whatever the real hardware piece might be.

However, this can more than be made up for by sheer number of different hardware pieces available that have been "sampled", and the multiple different analog characteristics "sampled" for different "presets" in some cases... IMHO. There are many different combinations available, all with total recall, at your fingertips, for a fraction of the cost and maintenance of having the real hardware units.
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Javahut- all good info, but I believe yer missing the point I was trying to make, with regards to the creative process. But I do agree some of the samples do sound great and sound good in the mix

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search