The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sound anchors wow.
Old 12th August 2016
sound anchors wow.

Was using proline with ISO acoustics stands. My monitors are Unity rocks mk2 Anyway I took the jump and bought sound anchors. The bass got deeper and the details wow. Great buy but its not cheap. And man are they heavy almost broke my back talking it downstairs in the basement.

Last edited by spektor; 13th August 2016 at 08:30 AM..
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Addict

love mine
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Great post!!!! And Reassuring! I just ordered a pair two days ago!
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Great post!!!! And Reassuring! I just ordered a pair two days ago!
Just chiming in to say I like your user name "Gringo Starr". That's clever.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

I've had 10 pairs ordered from Sound Anchor over the last 11 years (mostly ADJ2, but a trio motorized, and now another ADMID.) My current home set are a little over 200 lbs each -- 150 lbs steel and 50+ lbs sand per stand.
Needless to say they don't get moved much. (That weight plus the speakers they'll hold puts them at around 500 lbs a stand)
The ADMID are always a bit custom but I've also had most of the ADJ2 models customized whether the top plate cut a different dimension or the post height or even the base to fit a tight space. Bob/Sound Anchor have been great about making things work (even though it feels like forever to receive them.)
And trust me, unless you're a metal worker yourself or in your family, the prices are reasonable in the US. Doing small manufacturing runs to make stands is expensive if they are designed like the Sound Anchors. I've checked with my machinist and there wasn't a way to get within 150% of the price of the Sound Anchors doing a custom job from scratch. The quantity of scale just balloons the cost. We decided that it'd be better for Sound Anchor to do the initial stands and if I needed more modifications, my machinist would take care of it.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
Just chiming in to say I like your user name "Gringo Starr". That's clever.
Thanks!!! Clever is a rare compliment! The compliments I get usually start with "kind of".
Old 13th August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
The compliments I get usually start with "kind of".
Oh... I think that's kind of unfair.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'm sure Sound Anchors makes good products but to think you can't DIY or have the local Steel fab / Welding shop make something similar for less money seems far fetched (unbelievable in my mind, at least here in the USA).

Just a quick search on ebay had 4" x 4" x 1/4" x 72" heavy wall steel tubing for $64 (need one for both stands) and 8" x 12" x 1/2" steel plates for $12 each (need 4 for both stands). Cut the steel tube with a $1 steel thin cut wheel on a chinese hand grinder ($20) to stand height size (two 90 degree cuts) and weld to a top and bottom plate (4 welds for both stands - probably $20 labor at the local welding or auto body shop). Use a couple cans of spray paint ($2 each at the big box store) or get fancy with powdercoating at the local auto paint shop. Now add spikes to the bottom plate and sorbane half spheres to the top plate / bottom of speaker if you want isolation with minimum contact points or simply cut up a recycled rubber "welcome" door mat from the big box store to do the same function and not put holes in your floor. I'm also sure that with some shoping around / bargaining, the local steel shop will likely match or be lower than the ebay steel price and you won't have any shipping charges. By the way, Sound Anchors is using both smaller / thinner steel tubing and thinner steel plate.

If you are looking for the largest mass with minimum footprint, a simple cardboard concrete column round tube form that you can pickup at the big box store, cut to height needed, use with a top and bottom wood plate, paint, then filled with dry sand bags will do the trick for even less money.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
I'm sure Sound Anchors makes good products but to think you can't DIY or have the local Steel fab / Welding shop make something similar for less money seems far fetched (unbelievable in my mind, at least here in the USA).
Put it all in a spreadsheet. Factor in shipping costs/travel time/labor costs (unless your time is "free" -- ie you couldn't make money with that same amount of time or the cost of who is doing the work.) Factor in that the adjustable stand has more parts than you've mentioned and the base is more than a flat plate.

Raw materials are rarely the expensive part and it all looks cheap until you start actually getting real prices including everything. Time, labor, equipment, and mistakes are the expensive part. If it takes more than 4-6 hours to build 2 stands completely, it's already a losing situation from my POV. That's the problem with small scale production in that you can't distribute the costs over quantity.

Maybe in your part of the US things are cheaper. In LA, I had to buy some cold rolled steel plate for fabricating a mounting plate and, checking the 3 largest suppliers in the LA/OC area, the cheapest plate was $45 and I spent 2 hours driving. My machinist is $80/hour. Taking the ADJ2 at $670/pair retail (you can get it cheaper from any dealer who has a professional accounts dept), it's cheaper and less of a headache to order from Sound Anchor. The bonus is that if there is anything wrong, I don't eat the costs -- that becomes their issue.

And yes, a fixed stand of poured concrete is a cheap way to go if you don't have any other requirements for the stand. I've done that too.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

I love mine too.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!!! Clever is a rare compliment! The compliments I get usually start with "kind of".
Sounds like you make really interesting music. I wanted to put Kind of in there, but someone else already beat me to that joke.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

A few years ago I went to buy some left over mineral wool at a studio and came home with a pair of Sound Anchors that they were about to list on craigslist. I think I paid $400 for them if I remember right. I'll never have to buy speaker stands again.
Old 15th August 2016
Lives for gear

Pentagon, here is a link to the above listed $12 each, 1/2" x 8" x 12" steel plates on ebay I mentioned for your future use: sound anchors wow.1 2" 500 HRO Steel Sheet Plate 8" x 12" Flat Bar A36 | eBay

They are out of Houston and the ebay listing has their phone number for future contact as they will provide any size you need via plasma cutting. With a little more digging you should be able to find others selling retail at near wholesale price too. Additionally as a business you should have a tax number and likely can get a wholesale price.

If you need an adjustable stand (many won't though) you simply buy two sizes of tubes and nest one tube over the other, then provide a series of through holes to use with a pin for adjustable heights. There are online steel manuals that give the exact dimensions of steel shapes and it should not be hard to find many options as the standard sizes are specifically engineered to nest / couple. As for what you would pay in LA for welding labor . . . I'm in the suburbs of Chicago and wages in some of the trades is actually higher here. You are talking about a half hour of welding for my above listed project and it's not uncommon to find someone who will do some simple welding for $40 hour (the above is quick tacking and 4 horizontal filet welds, about as easy as it gets for welding, so 1/2 hour labor for even a beginner welder). Union Ironworkers get around $80 hour in Chicago and many are Certified Welders. In LA they make about $5 less per hour. You should not need a Union Ironworker as many local auto repair and gereral fix it shops will have welding equipment with non-union workers going for half or less Union wages.

I didn't look at what a pair of new Sound Anchors stands go for but the above poster bought a used pair for $400 so I'm assuming they charge over that. The above listed project is under $200, add the value of your time or a subordinates to that and you are still under the used Sound Anchor price posted above. The project I listed will be of heavier material than the Sound Anchor's stand and having a flat plate base may be of additional merrit with the placement of other control room items.

Having premade items of any kind in the studio like acoustic treatment panels or in this case, speaker stands is of most benefit for those that just wish to buy an item and don't mind the cost premium that goes along with it. Again I have no problems with Sound Anchor products or the people who choose to buy them. I was just chiming in about the notion that you could not make something of equal function and equal or more mass for less money.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Yep love mine

Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
...I took the jump and bought sound anchors. The bass got deeper and the details wow. Great buy but its not cheap. And man are they heavy almost broke my back talking it downstairs in the basement.
They're great stands, and a really good value I think -- a one-and-done long term investment. If installing them strained your back a bit, at least you can know you probably won't have reason to move new speaker stands into your studio ever again.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Is it normal for the monitors to extend past the front of the platform? Just got them and a good 2-3 inches on the front of the monitor is not supported. Is that right?
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Still boxed waiting to be installed with MM-27's.

J u s t _ c a n ' t _ w a i t !

For those of you with wood floors, do those little metal thing-a-ma-jiggies that go over the metal spikes that are installed at the base of these stands (by default) work well? I cringed a little when I saw them... they ain't messing around if you've got carpet! They're digging in and staying put. But, they'd tear wood apart.

I need to be able to maneuver them, certainly until they're in their best spot. The spike covers seem a little small. They working?

Old 1st September 2016
I have then on tiles in the basement. The spikes work real well.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it normal for the monitors to extend past the front of the platform? Just got them and a good 2-3 inches on the front of the monitor is not supported. Is that right?
Did you get the right size platforms (there are different sized stands and they'll custom cut platforms to fit "non-standard" sized speakers)? Do you need to turn the platforms 90 degrees (that can be done)? (do you have a lot of space to the left and right?)

A 1/2 inch to 1 inch over the edge I get as it prevents edge diffraction from the front baffle of the speaker. 2-3 inches seems to be too much though.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
For those of you with wood floors, do those little metal thing-a-ma-jiggies that go over the metal spikes that are installed at the base of these stands (by default) work well?
Are you talking about the "cone coasters"? Little confused as they don't come by default; they have to be ordered in addition. And they're about the size of a half dollar coin and thick -- I don't think you'd be worried about those if you had them.

There's nothing that comes as a wood protectors for the spikes by default as far as I've seen for about sixteen pairs now. Do you have a picture?
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

That's them thanks for the response guys!

Oh, I meant the spikes are installed by default, not the cones.

It would just be nice to be able to "install" flat feet to the stands for a hard wood floor, rather than using these little saucers, but if they're working, that's good to know!

Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
It would just be nice to be able to "install" flat feet to the stands for a hard wood floor, rather than using these little saucers, but if they're working, that's good to know!
You can get furniture leveler pads with stems to fit. You need to lookup 3/8"-16 with 1/2" stems and make sure they are rated for:
(the weight of your stand + speaker) x 1.2 at least
...and divide all that by 4. I'd look for at least 3/4" to 1" diameter pads.

Sound Anchor will provide these on request (I guess this is little known) but you can get them from any hardware store. All the bolts and threading are standard measurement stuff so they can be picked up at any place. Use a jam nut (the one that came with the spikes) if the levelers don't have a flange/nut.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because my Amphions are fairly deep and the platforms are wider then they are deep I simply put the stands on the outside instead of behind the speakers . As per the photo above in post #14
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You can get furniture leveler pads with stems to fit. You need to lookup 3/8"-16 with 1/2" stems and make sure they are rated for:
(the weight of your stand + speaker) x 1.2 at least
...and divide all that by 4. I'd look for at least 3/4" to 1" diameter pads.

Sound Anchor will provide these on request (I guess this is little known) but you can get them from any hardware store. All the bolts and threading are standard measurement stuff so they can be picked up at any place. Use a jam nut (the one that came with the spikes) if the levelers don't have a flange/nut.
Very helpful, thanks pentagon! I'll look into these.

Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

My amphions hang over a few inches. Doesn't bother me at all. They still feel solid. I like to place the stand parallel to the wall, using a tape measure to make sure it's square with the wall. Then I toe in the speaker using a speed square. Makes it really easy to get the angles precise, and it's easy to experiment with different angles.
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Because my Amphions are fairly deep and the platforms are wider then they are deep I simply put the stands on the outside instead of behind the speakers . As per the photo above in post #14
You can rotate the platform so the posts are behind the speaker. There are just two equally spaced bolts. Unbolt to top plate, rotate 90 degrees, replace the bolts.

The real reason to have the posts to the side would be so you can rotate the speakers acoustic axis up and down. Especially if you need to clear something like computer screens or need to project further into the room.
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You can rotate the platform so the posts are behind the speaker. There are just two equally spaced bolts. Unbolt to top plate, rotate 90 degrees, replace the bolts.

The real reason to have the posts to the side would be so you can rotate the speakers acoustic axis up and down. Especially if you need to clear something like computer screens or need to project further into the room.
Na the real reason I did it is that is the way I prefer it

Last edited by KevWind; 11th October 2016 at 04:42 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search