The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Burl ADC techniques discussed....
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Head

Burl ADC techniques discussed....

I've had the Burl for a couple years and have played around with driving the signal in many ways. I'm never dead set on one method... sometimes I'll start with the knob turned high at say -14db for a cleaner mix, and others at 18 or 20db to drive the analog stage a bit hotter. I recently tried -22db with some great results. I pushed it almost to the point of distortion on the transformers, backing off just at the point of no return. The saturation isn't really audible but it definitely sounds awesome.

Figured I'd throw up a thread to see what ways you other guys are using it. Cheers
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Head

221 views and no comments? What's the deal? I know someone has a B2 bomber. come on now.
Old 18th August 2016
Here for the gear

Hi
I use it just for tracking and its set to -18 (the same as my interfaces) and sometimes I run my mixes through it (then its also set to - 18). So nothing special about that.
For me its a great converter and I use it all the time.
Old 18th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchildren View Post
I'm never dead set on one method...
Well…that is sort of the intention of the box. It seems like you can do a lot with it. And it was the designers intention that you might find a "sweet" spot when using it. Much as you would a Microphone or Instrument Preamplifier.

Finding a preference is as easy as deciding how your record should sound on every single track. You know...I typically go for it when in the heat of battle and ask my clients if I can getting the track where they think it should be. No complaints usually. I always use my ears with the program material. All material is different, you simply have to listen and use your intuition and make a final judgment.

Record levels are nothing more than a Math Equation. Provided A) You know how the gear reacts with high levels B) You know what you are doing with the headroom of your system C) Understand just how far you taking signal over 0VU with your analog equipment, and what that sounds like.

Reference to Digital 0dbfs. You have two options.

Less Digital headroom-More input gain // More Digital Headroom-Less Input gain.

The reality of my world, is that different signals require this reference level to move around. Some audio doesn't sound good when pegging 0VU. Some Audio ONLY sounds good at 0VU. Some audio sounds amazing floating just above 0VU. I personally think everything sounds like crap when its overdriven and distorted. But thats just me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search