The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
QUESTED V2108 users - question ?
Old 10th August 2016
QUESTED V2108 users - question ?

Hello,

I bought a pair of quested v2108 1 year ago --- i love the midrange very very much but stopped using them cause I couldn t get any proper feeling of the low ends.

In my room (small : 3 x 4m), the low ends exist at the very end of the room but not where I seat (1,50m from the speakers).
It sounds those speakers are definitely and exclusively MIDFIELD speakers.

I have had to put my dynaudios bm12a back since unfortunatelly ! :(¨

Do you guys have the same issue ?

if yes, any tricks to help out ? I m sooooo sad to have those speakers back in their box and not being used

thanx a lot

cheers

Ben
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Guru

If you want to sell for a good price I might know someone to take the buggers off you...... ;-)
Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhunk View Post
It sounds those speakers are definitely and exclusively MIDFIELD speakers.
No.

I've used them thousands of times over many years and the VS2108 before that. They are definitely nearfields.

You literally are sitting at near center of your room and don't expect to have a massive null of low frequencies? This is your problem. For small rooms, you'll need to aggressively trap low end. You also make no mention of height of your room or the vertical placement of the speaker. I'm betting that's an issue too. Probably close to 3m as well and your speaker driver is probably at the 1/2 or 1/4 height point. All bad.
Old 11th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
No.

I've used them thousands of times over many years and the VS2108 before that. They are definitely nearfields.

You literally are sitting at near center of your room and don't expect to have a massive null of low frequencies? This is your problem. For small rooms, you'll need to aggressively trap low end. You also make no mention of height of your room or the vertical placement of the speaker. I'm betting that's an issue too. Probably close to 3m as well and your speaker driver is probably at the 1/2 or 1/4 height point. All bad.
yes, all of what you just wrote seems to be the situtation --- i m pretty much sitting in a middle of the room, the ceiling is 3,10m high, the speaker driver at 1,20m and i m sitting 1,15m from them and the speakers are 60cms from the back wall

the only thing that I found a little strange is that feeling is much less hearable using my dynaudios bm12a

what could i do to help out ? make better bass traps as you wrote or it s hopeless in a "small" room

thanx again
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Move yourself and the speaker closer to the front wall by 0.5 m. The speaker is front ported and more forgiving about sbir than you'd think. Use the switches on the back to cut low freq (there's a setting more or less for placing the speakers against a wall.)

If the acoustic axis has been right so far (mid point between the two drivers aligned with your ears), flip the speaker over so the woofer is above the tweeter and raise the whole speaker by a little to put it again on-axis with your ears. That should get the low range out of the midpoint of the vertical axis. Then trap as much as you can with a variety of absorbers and possibly tube-style traps for your room corners. The reason the 12a works better is because they don't go as low and their smaller cabinet positions them at a different point in the room vertically and length-wise.

Whatever you do, don't sit in the center of the room. 1/3 from the front or back and adjust from there (but don't hit 1/4 either.) Also play with height if your head is sitting 1/2 the room's vertical length. Go up.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Head

Curious, Once you had placed your Dynaudio bm12 back , how they supposed to sound in that position. Do they suffer from same thing ? Being /rear ported/ they must go even lower than Quested, which means even bigger peaks,dips etc. . You have to experiment with the hight of them as it was mentioned above. Sometimes, enviroment could overcome ruls and you have to take a lot of effort to find the key ....and sometimes you have to do nothing but calm down. In our ex control room /it was almost same size/ the only position that produced /almost/ flat response down to 40 hz, was against longest wall and we had used unusual sub placement for that.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESH_STUDIO View Post
Being /rear ported/ they must go even lower than Quested, which means even bigger peaks,dips etc.
Whether the speaker is rear or fronted ported has no bearing on frequency or power.
Old 11th August 2016
I also have V2108's and have a similar size control room.
If you run tones through your system you can pin point the exact frequencies that are missing and adjust your room treatment from there.
They're great speakers IMO.
Old 11th August 2016
thanx to all of you and especially to PENTAGON for his very constructive feedbacks

i ve never seen the quested upside down but i ll try all you just wrote in a few hours and wil get back to u right after
Old 11th August 2016
it s better but still missing some bass and lots in the back of the room

but it s better for sure

any clue what i could do better ?

I put some pixs of my studio

thanx again
Attached Thumbnails
QUESTED V2108 users - question ?-quested-upside-down.jpg   QUESTED V2108 users - question ?-back-wall.jpg   QUESTED V2108 users - question ?-corridor.jpg   QUESTED V2108 users - question ?-front-wall.jpg  
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
lots in the back of the room
That is the standard effect of low frequencies. It's the boundary effect. It's also causing the cancellation to the front. You need to acoustically bass trap those rear corners as much as possible.

Also put your head to the floor and see how much bass build up is there. Most likely you'll need to do 4" of insulation with a 2" air gap on the ceiling above you. Screw two 2x4 cut two feet long, 4 ft apart (measure from the outside edges) directly above you ("4 inch" side flat to the wall.)

Then take two sheets of 2" thick OC 703/705 insulation (with kraft paper backing even better; have that facing out) which are standard-sized 24" x 48" and screw through both layers into the 2x4 (put a wide washer on the screw.) Only need two screw for either side. That'll give you 4" thick insulation with a 1.5" air gap and only 4 screw holes into a wall. Shouldn't cost much and you can repeat the process on the back walls (I'd do 4 ft vertical instead of 4 ft wide based on what I see -- including on the door.)

Cover with fabric later and a staple gun to make it look nice.
Old 11th August 2016
Quote:

any clue what i could do better ?
Treat your room.
Old 11th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
That'll give you 4" thick insulation with a 1.5" air gap and only 4 screw holes into a wall. Shouldn't cost much and you can repeat the process on the back walls (I'd do 4 ft vertical instead of 4 ft wide based on what I see -- including on the door.)

Cover with fabric later and a staple gun to make it look nice.
for the back walls, should I follow the shape of the walls or do a / shape in the corners ?

is that (K) useless for the corners ?

thanx again
Old 11th August 2016
sorry the link didn t work but i was referring to "Auralex Acoustics Lenrd Bass Traps" for the corners - are they useless ?
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry the link didn t work but i was referring to "Auralex Acoustics Lenrd Bass Traps" for the corners - are they useless ?
No. Not useless. You could use them in the lower and upper corners (where 3 surfaces meet: 2 sidewalls and ceiling or 2 sidewalls and floor.) The biggest low-end build up is there.

To use OC 703/705 (or any other rigid fiberglass) to absorb low freq, have them straddle the corner. The air gap behind the material increases its efficiency. Plus the varying depth makes it a slightly broader absorbtion range.

You could put the auralex in the top and bottom of each corner and then put the rigid fiberglass over the center areas where two sidewalls meet.
Old 12th August 2016
what about using "Auralex Acoustics Lenrd Bass Traps" from the floor to the ceiling in the 4 corners ? they seem very easy to put on

would that make sense or the "rigid fiberglass over the center" will be much more effective ?

kind regards
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Honestly, I'd need to know the density of the material/STC coefficients they are using and I don't see that published. You should probably take this question as a new post to the "Studio building/acoustics" forum here. There are bound to be those who have used it and know if it is cost effective.

Building straddling OC703/705 corners is very easy and relatively cheap. You just put 2x4 vertically on either wall positioned so the spread, when double layered, is 2 feet across and then put screws through both layers into the wood cleat you created (you have to cut the back layer a little to fit the angle while the front layer stays 2 feet wide.) The air gap behind the panels is key to making them almost twice as good.
Old 25th August 2016
I finally got the quested much closer to me --- now they stand just 1m away from my ears so totally like nearfields --- it sounds much better than where they were just before (1,6m)

i m having a "pro" to build proper basstraps in all the corners and right behind

it will get even better then hopefully

thanx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search