The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Incredible ZOD Bass DI saves the mix(and the day) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th August 2016
Gear Addict

Incredible ZOD Bass DI saves the mix(and the day)

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to post about a incredible Bass DI I used recently that I feel more people need to know about, because it is so good.

It's called the ZOD ID Bass DI...it's hand built by fellow Gear Slut member Dan Deurloo up in Minnesota. I was finishing a heavy metal album recently when I got that sick feeling in my stomach when you know your bass tracks are not there yet...after some research I reached out to Dan and I am glad I did.

Dan's DI is tube driven and I believe there are transformers as well inside that provide a huge, warm and fat bass tone. After re tracking the Bass through this DI the mixes immediately were taken to another level and everything gelled. The DI track ended up being the only bass track we used in fact and it had a growl to it that is incredible for a DI.

Anyway, I just wanted to let any fellow Slutz know about Dans DI because I know first hand how hard recording bass can be, and also because Dan is a super cool guy who deserves the business!

Here is a link to ZOD--
Zod Audio – ID instinctual, untamed tone- the opposite of your average di.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Guru

It's an awesome DI. Priced well for a heavy iron / tube DI, and just MAY be the best DI on the planet. There are several guys here on GS that are using them. Maybe they will chime in. I want another so I can use em in stereo..... :-)
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

Avalon m5 di. Really good
UA 610 di. Very good
Dan's ZOD ID DI... In a different league.
I've used piles of different DIs and none of them were even close to Dan's. Super nice!
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Addict
It's next on my buy list, to me it sounds like a Reddi on steroids jmo
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Guru

The amount of iron in this baby is ridiculous. I think the transformer is as big as my fist.

Righteous DI!! Can't say enough about it. Loving it since day 1.

Shot it out with a good bass player / producer and the only thing that came close was a Neve 1073, and even that was a pretty far distance behind.

And it's not just for bass. Synths benefit massively from this DI. I think RobS uses one to mangle his moog. I've used it on guitars and it's great there as well. Really sets them up nice for re-amping, although for clean tones, I've used just the ZOD by itself and it's great.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Guru

Oh, and BTW - Mic into ZOD into LA2a = great tube mic pre / front end. (It's got both XLR and 1/4" inputs) No pre needed with the Zod and 2a gain structure.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It's an awesome DI. Priced well for a heavy iron / tube DI, and just MAY be the best DI on the planet. There are several guys here on GS that are using them. Maybe they will chime in. I want another so I can use em in stereo..... :-)
Yeah that would be incredible for stereo keyboards and synths...no more more sterile digital sound....hello velvet and iron.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Maniac
I have only had some limited time with it, but so far I am really liking how the ZOD DI sounds. It sounded just as "real"and huge as what we got out of the Ampeg 8x10, and we even heard some extra harmonic stuff happening with the ZOD that was very cool. I can't wait to record with this thing more in the future. Also major props to how friendly Dan was to deal with, and the meticulous care that was given to wrapping the item and making sure I received it in perfect shape.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Guru

Had a Reddi.
Dan killed it.The Zod rules it.
Best DI ever tube or otherwise.
Big sonically but has the detail and depth. too.
Tubes and big trannies always rock.
I love it for bass but excels as a keyboard DI.
I also sometimes run in into mic pre's for various added harmonics.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Addict

The ZOD was a game changer for me. I'm using it on Bass tracking and mix.
Makes bass so easy and fkn satisfying. It's like a "that's what bass should sound like!" kind of vibe.
Stupid good.

Check it here:
https://soundcloud.com/skatemountain...ivival/s-cWIVI
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

Tubes are cool. Awesome soundclip!
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah90210 View Post
The ZOD was a game changer for me. I'm using it on Bass tracking and mix.
Makes bass so easy and fkn satisfying. It's like a "that's what bass should sound like!" kind of vibe.
Stupid good.

Check it here:
https://soundcloud.com/skatemountain...ivival/s-cWIVI
Damn that's the stuff you played me.
Amazing.
I want that record.
That guy is an insane singer!
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Oh, and BTW - Mic into ZOD into LA2a = great tube mic pre / front end. (It's got both XLR and 1/4" inputs) No pre needed with the Zod and 2a gain structure.
It also sounds nice going bass>Zod>LA2A. There is more than enough gain with that setup.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Damn that's the stuff you played me.
Amazing.
I want that record.
That guy is an insane singer!
Haha! Thx RB! I'll send you a copy when it's out for sure! Thats the sound of our consoles too.
Worth adding that a bunch of the more Memphis sounding gtrs are DI through the ZOD as well.
Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'm sure this is a very good DI, but some of the hyperbole ("DI saved the mix") doesn't help the manufacturer.

I have the last, best of all time DI- REDDI.

Hopefully, I won't lose my well deserved Grammy because I use it.
Old 10th August 2016
Here for the gear

I dont think the hyperbole of the zod is undeserved. I put it up against my REDDI and can point out a definite improvement in low end response of both bass guitar and synth (Moog sub phatty). Im not selling my REDDI, but I am also not parting with my ZOD.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

Hi, I posted this in the other DI thread, I have the Zod DI here, it is indeed a beast and smokes all the other DI's ive personally ever owned, including the REDD....
Here are some samples my locally infamous brother posted on his soundcloud...

Old 10th August 2016
Gear Addict

I guess I should address the "hyperbole" sense I posted it. Literally the mix couldn't be dialed in on the low end and tightened how we wanted it....as soon as I re tracked the bass through the ZOD, it was right there..bam. Hence the save the mix comment.

Just my experience that I wanted to share
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

[QUOTE

Hopefully, I won't lose my well deserved Grammy because I use it. [/QUOTE]

If you would have used the Zod they would have given you two Grammys.
Old 10th August 2016
Here for the gear

It is hard to overstate the impact the ZOD ID DI has had on my bass tracking. We've all been there, where you decide to retrack something due to a new tone, or piece of gear you got. I actually felt that I had some really good options for bass, that is until I decided to give the ZOD a shot. Simply put it is worth every penny...the reamp option is crucial as well, I've used both on guitars and Pedal Steel to great effect. I blend different tones and I've had many people ask how I achieved those sounds. Usually the first thing other musicians/engineers ask me about is the bass tones I've tracked. They want to know what my "secret" is. I almost never join in on threads, but the ZOD is that good...

One reason I don't think any of the above comments are hyperbole, is because frankly, you can't have a "killer mix" without a killer bass track. This thing pretty much guarantees that all your bass needs will be addressed (assuming of course you're working with a solid player).

One last note: The build quality on the ID DI is incredible. I haven't done it yet, but I would definitely feel comfortable playing out with it live, it's just a tank! Dan is very friendly and helpful, and it's obvious he's poured his knowledge and passion into this DI. Just my two cents...
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Guru

have one sitting right here .. love it .. so happy to see it is getting some GS Love !! a stereo version would be very nice ..
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Nut

it's one of those pieces that you want to stay quiet about because it has that much of an impact, but alas, we all have to share our **** right haha! I went skeptically from what i considered to be a very good 'go to" bass rig utilizing my only other DI that was worth keeping(Bo Hansen DI), as soon as i plugged the Zod in, the low end on an already great sound, bloomed and got surprisingly heavier, the mids focused on a whole other level as well, can't say enough about this thing, at this point if i had to do a session without it, i'd literally be distressed over it, because i'd KNOW I was leaving some sonics on the table, and that isn't acceptable, there is no going back once you try it...., and that is NOT hyperbole.
Old 10th August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
I'm sure this is a very good DI, but some of the hyperbole ("DI saved the mix") doesn't help the manufacturer.

I have the last, best of all time DI- REDDI.

Hopefully, I won't lose my well deserved Grammy because I use it.
Not really sure what the intent of your post is? The OP stated positive things about the sound of the ZOD. I can't see how that wouldn't help a manufacturer?

That's great you like your REDDI. I know of a couple people that put the ZOD next to their REDDI and got rid of the REDDI immediately.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyeYguy View Post
it's one of those pieces that you want to stay quiet about because it has that much of an impact, but alas, we all have to share our **** right haha! I went skeptically from what i considered to be a very good 'go to" bass rig utilizing my only other DI that was worth keeping(Bo Hansen DI), as soon as i plugged the Zod in, the low end on an already great sound, bloomed and got surprisingly heavier, the mids focused on a whole other level as well, can't say enough about this thing, at this point if i had to do a session without it, i'd literally be distressed over it, because i'd KNOW I was leaving some sonics on the table, and that isn't acceptable, there is no going back once you try it...., and that is NOT hyperbole.
I tried a demo ZOD, got hooked and bought one.
I passed the demo to a buddy here in LA, he bought it.
While I was waiting for mine I booked a record and had to drive to my buddy's house and borrow his ZOD because I couldn't track without it. I panicked.

Haha

It's a fkn good DI
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I tried a demo ZOD, got hooked and bought one.
I passed the demo to a buddy here in LA, he bought it.
While I was waiting for mine I booked a record and had to drive to my buddy's house and borrow his ZOD because I couldn't track without it. I panicked.

Haha

It's a fkn good DI

The Zod must be most most unknown "for those in-the-know " secret weapon out there.... Everybody's using one, but no one knows anything about them.....
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

The Zod must be most most unknown "for those in-the-know " secret weapon out there.... Everybody's using one, but no one knows anything about them.....
Doc! You have one right?
You must have one. Please..get one.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Doc! You have one right?
You must have one. Please..get one.
I have one. I want another one.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

No one DI will cover all the basses out there, none, period end of story.

Don't believe me, come to my place and I will prove it to you.

I'm sure the ZOD is great and a worthy addition to the locker but my like mic's or preamps there is no single one that works well on every source.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
No one DI will cover all the basses out there, none, period end of story.

Don't believe me, come to my place and I will prove it to you.

I'm sure the ZOD is great and a worthy addition to the locker but my like mic's or preamps there is no single one that works well on every source.
"period end of story" that takes some big balls to say !!! you must be running your balls through a ZOD ... please, this is all in Fun !!!
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search