The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES Roll Call: Who's Going? What's Happening?
Old 7th August 2016
  #1
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

AES Roll Call: Who's Going? What's Happening?

I just got my tickets and hotel. Pretty excited to see all you guys. I missed last year because I was moving to Nashville. I go more for the friend hang these days then anything. I'm also going to be filming a full gearslutz series of everything AES from the floor to the parties! I will post up all the videos after the show.

Who's goin? What's everyone excited about?

James

P.S. On a personal note, 2 years ago at AES I was in rough shape. I weighed nearly 300 lbs, had just had knee surgery, had chest pains, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, psoriasis, etc... You name it. I was hobbling at AES and was f**kin miserable and walking that trade show floor was nearly impossible. I was in hell and very depressed. My friend Tony Shepperd pulled me to the side at the show and gave me the honest come to Jesus moment and told me I was killing myself and I needed to change or it was all but over. I have since lost nearly 100 lbs and am in perfect health, BP is 116/62, no meds. I'm running and doing CrossFit, my knees and body have healed. Tony has helped me along the way too, more then he will ever know. That is what gearslutz is all about, people helping people. Thanks Tony and thanks Jules for having us all.
Attached Thumbnails
AES Roll Call: Who's Going? What's Happening?-b-11-months.jpg   AES Roll Call: Who's Going? What's Happening?-fat-face-1-year.jpg  

Last edited by James Lugo; 7th August 2016 at 12:24 PM..
Old 7th August 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Right on James I remember meeting you at AES SF and ya you were big. I am glad you were able to drop the weight and get your health back. We only get as much time as we are healthy. So being fit definitely extends that time.

Ya I wil be at AES and I am looking forward to it should be a lot of fun.
Old 7th August 2016
  #3
Hell yeah!
Old 7th August 2016
  #4
The Rupert Neve Designs and Fingerprint Audio Team [sE Electronics, BEL Digital, Van Damme Cable] will be at the AES in full force! Might have some fun things to show... ha!

Congrats on the life change, lost weight, and Nashville skyline.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 7th August 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Bryce's Avatar
I'll be there with Amphion, Cloud, elysia and Kush. Looking forward to seeing you, my brother...and congrats on getting healthy!

dB
Old 8th August 2016
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Congratulations, James. That's not a easy road. Good for you!!!
Old 9th August 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
toneguru's Avatar
Hi James,

Glad to hear you are in good health. I just emailed you about a vocal session when you are in town. I figure you'll be busy and all, but if there is any chance I can kidnap your voice for an hour that would rock!

Keep up the good work, stay cool and I look forward to seeing you AES week.

- Cheers
Old 10th August 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Hi

We'll be there on Booth 611... look for our blue neon sign as you come down the stairs. We are near center, one row back.

On the booth you'll find four new products (five if you include the stand for the sidecar!) and it will be all fully functioning so you can sit down and play with all of them.

Two sets of speakers and headphones if the music gets too loud.

Also on the booth will be photos of my dear friend and business partner Alan Dickson that died on June 1st after a long and painful battle with cancer. He was so hoping that he would be around for the show and this is my way of giving him a presence there.

I hope he will approve!

Attached Thumbnails
AES Roll Call: Who's Going? What's Happening?-611.jpg   AES Roll Call: Who's Going? What's Happening?-young-alan.jpg  

Last edited by Geoff_T; 11th August 2016 at 06:58 PM..
Old 11th August 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
timtoonz's Avatar
I sure wish I could go one of these times just to meet all you cool GS dudes that I only know from your smartass posts and wacky avatars.

Congrats James on fighting your way back to health. It can be a hard climb but it feels great when you stick with it... Makes me feel like I should go running right now dammit - I've fallin' off the wagon a bit after working my way back from open heart surgery a couple years ago. It's the GEAR that keeps us GOING! (and more importantly, the fellow Gearslutz that inspire us)

Old 11th August 2016
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

We'll be there on Booth 611... look for our blue neon sign as you come down the stairs. We are near center, one row back.

On the booth you'll find four new products (five if you include the stand for the sidecar!) and it will be all fully functioning so you can sit down and play with all of them.

Two sets of speakers and headphones if the music gets too loud.

Also on the booth will be photos of my dear friend and business partner Alan Dickson that died on June 1st after a long and painful battle with cancer. He was so hoping that he would be around for the show and this is my way of giving him a presence there.

I hope he will approve!

Geoff-
Very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and all his friends and family.

I look forward to seeing you in LA! I quite enjoyed our walk around the show last time.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 12th August 2016
  #11
Gear Nut
 
DeyeYguy's Avatar
 

Great Job James, glad to see you looking fit man! I'll be there, if i see you I'll come up and say Hello, remember my GS name.

Also Geoff, sorry to hear about your partner man, I will come see you as well, loving my AES16e cards and lynx mixer, great stuff man! Thanx
Old 12th August 2016
  #12
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

We'll be there on Booth 611... look for our blue neon sign as you come down the stairs. We are near center, one row back.

On the booth you'll find four new products (five if you include the stand for the sidecar!) and it will be all fully functioning so you can sit down and play with all of them.

Two sets of speakers and headphones if the music gets too loud.

Also on the booth will be photos of my dear friend and business partner Alan Dickson that died on June 1st after a long and painful battle with cancer. He was so hoping that he would be around for the show and this is my way of giving him a presence there.

I hope he will approve!

I'll come by and say hi. Sorry about your business partner.
Old 13th August 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
mattcollen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
I just got my tickets and hotel. Pretty excited to see all you guys. I missed last year because I was moving to Nashville. I go more for the friend hang these days then anything. I'm also going to be filming a full gearslutz series of everything AES from the floor to the parties! I will post up all the videos after the show.

Who's goin? What's everyone excited about?

James

P.S. On a personal note, 2 years ago at AES I was in rough shape. I weighed nearly 300 lbs, had just had knee surgery, had chest pains, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, psoriasis, etc... You name it. I was hobbling at AES and was f**kin miserable and walking that trade show floor was nearly impossible. I was in hell and very depressed. My friend Tony Shepperd pulled me to the side at the show and gave me the honest come to Jesus moment and told me I was killing myself and I needed to change or it was all but over. I have since lost nearly 100 lbs and am in perfect health, BP is 116/62, no meds. I'm running and doing CrossFit, my knees and body have healed. Tony has helped me along the way too, more then he will ever know. That is what gearslutz is all about, people helping people. Thanks Tony and thanks Jules for having us all.
Awesome transformation! Congrats on getting your health back!
Old 16th August 2016
  #14
Wish I could come this AES, but I have other obligations. I'll for sure be seeing you guys at NAMM though in January!
Old 16th August 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 

I will be there with two friends, BTW we booked an AirBNB apartment across the street form the convention center that sleeps three for the same price as a single convention hotel room

Does anyone know what the tours will be this time? Two years ago I attended the Disney Hall tech tour, it was great. This time I am hoping to do one of the big classic studios like capitol if they offer it
Old 16th August 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

We'll be there on Booth 611... look for our blue neon sign as you come down the stairs. We are near center, one row back.

On the booth you'll find four new products (five if you include the stand for the sidecar!) and it will be all fully functioning so you can sit down and play with all of them.

Two sets of speakers and headphones if the music gets too loud.

Also on the booth will be photos of my dear friend and business partner Alan Dickson that died on June 1st after a long and painful battle with cancer. He was so hoping that he would be around for the show and this is my way of giving him a presence there.

I hope he will approve!

Sorry to hear about your partner, will stop by the booth for sure

Last edited by SteveGTR; 16th August 2016 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th August 2016
  #17
Booked my flight

Now just waiting on hotel

Be great to hang again James and everyone..

yeah I remember you were in a bad way and split from the show..

I am PMing you to see what Hotel you are in

Old 20th August 2016
  #18
Gear Nut
 
Jesse Miller's Avatar
I'm going. Arrive the day before and leave a day after.. Gotta network, ya know.
Old 21st August 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Booked my flight

Now just waiting on hotel

Be great to hang again James and everyone..

yeah I remember you were in a bad way and split from the show..

I am PMing you to see what Hotel you are in

Jules,

Most of the hotels were not available, do you know if that is because they weren't opened up yet, or, they were already sold out?

BTW- I booked an AirBnB across the street that sleep 4 and is the same cost as a single hotel room at most of the ones listed on the event site
Old 22nd August 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
I just got my tickets and hotel. Pretty excited to see all you guys. I missed last year because I was moving to Nashville. I go more for the friend hang these days then anything. I'm also going to be filming a full gearslutz series of everything AES from the floor to the parties! I will post up all the videos after the show.

Who's goin? What's everyone excited about?

James

P.S. On a personal note, 2 years ago at AES I was in rough shape. I weighed nearly 300 lbs, had just had knee surgery, had chest pains, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, psoriasis, etc... You name it. I was hobbling at AES and was f**kin miserable and walking that trade show floor was nearly impossible. I was in hell and very depressed. My friend Tony Shepperd pulled me to the side at the show and gave me the honest come to Jesus moment and told me I was killing myself and I needed to change or it was all but over. I have since lost nearly 100 lbs and am in perfect health, BP is 116/62, no meds. I'm running and doing CrossFit, my knees and body have healed. Tony has helped me along the way too, more then he will ever know. That is what gearslutz is all about, people helping people. Thanks Tony and thanks Jules for having us all.
Congrats,

Does it help not being in LA??
Old 22nd August 2016
  #21
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Congrats,

Does it help not being in LA??
Probably not. It was just time.
Old 22nd August 2016
  #22
Moderator
 
James Lugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Booked my flight

Now just waiting on hotel

Be great to hang again James and everyone..

yeah I remember you were in a bad way and split from the show..

I am PMing you to see what Hotel you are in

Can't wait to hang man. Did you find a hotel?
Old 22nd August 2016
  #23
Ace hotel.. Was recommended by a chum.

Rooms for Standard also became available

Booking.com has a sale

Still v f expensive.
Old 23rd August 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Nope--won't attend this year. Other travel at the same time--France.
Old 24th August 2016
  #25
Gear Addict
 

congrats James!

I just registered for the exhibits only pass. Dont really have 525.oo ( early bird) lying around, if I did I'd probably feed my gear habit with it.

Is there a kind soul out there with an extra all access pass? I would love to check this out while it is in my hometown...

I see that registration is only 99 per year. I will definitely be joining before years end..


Thanks!
Old 24th August 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Hi

In my email inbox today.....

Last Friday all exhibitors should have received an email with their FREE Exhibits-Plus Badge Link/Code.

In case you didn’t see it your Link is: AES Los Angeles 2016 » Registration

Invite your clients and friends to receive a free Exhibits-Plus registration at no cost to you and no cost to them. The registration is good for the Exhibits and many of the AES Special events. Put your link in all correspondence, on your website, on Facebook, and all social media! It’s a Win/Win!!!






Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz1der View Post
congrats James!

I just registered for the exhibits only pass. Dont really have 525.oo ( early bird) lying around, if I did I'd probably feed my gear habit with it.

Is there a kind soul out there with an extra all access pass? I would love to check this out while it is in my hometown...

I see that registration is only 99 per year. I will definitely be joining before years end..


Thanks!
Old 24th August 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Lumbergh's Avatar
 

Hey James, I followed your SSL install on the Toob a few years back and thought it was great (Ive done a few myself!) Cant believe I'm looking at the same guy, you look in great shape man

Look forward to the AES film.
Old 31st August 2016
  #28
Kerri and I will be there. Looking forward to seeing you all again!
Old 31st August 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Ribbonmicguy's Avatar
I am going to the US, but have a gig in the bay area on the 1st. I hope I can at least go for a day on the 29th and go back on the 30th to SF and ready for my soundcheck.
Old 1st September 2016
  #30
Well i managed to squeek out my other plans. Booked my flight for LA. Ill see you guys there! Wont have a booth setup this time, but ill be rocking an aps shirt if that counts!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump