The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U67s on overheads - x/y or spaced pair - pattern?
Old 7th August 2016
U67s on overheads - x/y or spaced pair - pattern?

To any of you gents or ladies who have a pair of u67's

I've had one u67 (ioaudio aka max mod) for a while now and recently got a second. Will be using them for drum overheads soon.

I usually go for an x/y overhead setup with eithe beyerdynamic mc903's, akg c414xls's, or cascade Vinjets.

This will be my first time using the u67's on drums.

My instinct is to stick with my x/y setup in cardiod but I'm wondering what other setups you guys really like?

This will be a modern rock/worship album.

I will close mic everything and have several room mics.
Old 7th August 2016
add a ribbon and go weathervane style!
Old 7th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsteeno View Post
add a ribbon and go weathervane style!
go on...
Old 7th August 2016
Old 7th August 2016
I've tried both many many times and couldn't come to a definitive preference. Spaced sound bigger and wider, xy collapses to mono better. I think what it mostly comes down to for practical reasons is the balance of the drummer's playing. If they are a great player then it's easier to get away with xy. If their setup or playing style causes them to bash one side of the cymbals/hat/ride a little more than the other it's not a crime to help that along with mic positioning.
Old 8th August 2016
Lives for gear

I use the Recorderman technique with my U67 pair on overheads. That's my favourite way to mic overheads regardless of the mics used. I like it because it keeps the kick and snare centre, while still providing a nice amount of stereo width. And because it requires you to keep the mics relatively low, it also gives a nice dry punchy sound with understated cymbals.
Old 8th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Glynn johns used 67s I think (may have been 87s ) in.... Glynn johns setup. Sounded good to neon all his stuff
Old 9th August 2016
Here for the gear

I've had great results from ORTF and Glyn. It really depends on the spread of the kit and cymbals as to which I start with. I find the over all tonality a little more focused and clean sounding in ORTF. If I'm going for a more precise drum sound these work very well. Not as vibey as Coles but with the right set of brass it can provide a wonderful three-mic sound.
Old 9th August 2016
Thanks guys.

I don't own a pair of Coles yet. I do have the vinjet with lundahl transfos which is my normal go-to on overheads and has been compared to the sound of the 4038's (although the ribbons are very different).

I will most likely NOT be going Glyn Johns or Recorderman because I will have close mics on all drums and several room mics.

I guess I will take the time to try both x/y and spaced pair with the u67's (producer has requested LDC for overheads and my only other choice is 414's).

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear

If this is a light handed jazz session then maybe you'd prefer 414's.

But whatever you normally like applies with 67's, they're just more forgiving on the top end without sounding dull. I don't know how your mics compare to real 67's but that is a good reason they work well for drums and putting them spaced closer to cymbals can yield a nicer sound than brighter mics.
Old 9th August 2016
Gear Head

Hi,

I haved used them quit low ( only one ) on the side of the hi hat and a meter or so away from the kit , I put them lower then the bottom of the snare so you get the bottom snare sound also, I put it on the side a bit pointing towards the kick drum, this way it picks up all the "dirt" from the kit. I also often use a 47 for this ( more bottom end )
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
To any of you gents or ladies who have a pair of u67's

I've had one u67 (ioaudio aka max mod) for a while now and recently got a second. Will be using them for drum overheads soon.

I usually go for an x/y overhead setup with eithe beyerdynamic mc903's, akg c414xls's, or cascade Vinjets.

This will be my first time using the u67's on drums.

My instinct is to stick with my x/y setup in cardiod but I'm wondering what other setups you guys really like?

This will be a modern rock/worship album.

I will close mic everything and have several room mics.
I'd never do an XY with large diaphragm mics. Its such a closed sounding image. Small diaphragm you can get away with it if you have to. Depends on how small your room is but I wouldn't go there at all with 67's, such an underuse of the mic. I'd highly recommend the Glynn Johns method with 67's. Best represented in my opinion with those mics. 160's he did with Bonham some but I think the 67's sound better for it.
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Head

Recently I've been loving the Royer SF24, so simple and phase perfect. It's nice for louder drums with sticks, I'd recommend switching up to condensers for lighter stuff.

The trick to overheads is to place them just over the head of the drummer and centered on the snare sonically. I am personally a fan of XY and other phase coherent overheads then supplement with spaced and various room mics. Too many people place overheads super high in the air and super spaced out which causes some weird phase stuff and messes with the snare too much.

Just my $.02
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Addict

Overheads

Because of Phasing, transients and reflections Shane (the owner of or studio space) has convinced me of MONO overheads with a lot less processing and filtering. Before you cringe and scream about the panning I am missing, remember that I can pan individual crashes into place, I don't deal with as much Phasing or reflection noise and my drums just sound tighter.

It goes against all my principals but it just keeps working to my advantage.

BTW we are using a Mojave LDC MA 300 or MA 200 as overhead...can't rave enough.

Thanx,
Jack
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
I'd never do an XY with large diaphragm mics. Its such a closed sounding image. Small diaphragm you can get away with it if you have to. Depends on how small your room is but I wouldn't go there at all with 67's, SNIP .
OTOH...There was an Andy Johns drum sample pack a while back, and the pictures from that sesh showed him using coincedent 414s as his OHs.

I tried his side by side placement, and it worked nicely.

best,
Sean
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search