The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
That 'Swiss Army' Compressor
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Addict

Dcl 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Summit dcl 200... possibly the most underated compressor around IMHO.

Can be found online for good prices.. i think i need a second

Failing that you cant go wrong with a distressor.. fact! It covers more bases than CNN!

Buzz soc us no slouch either and can certainly see one in my rack at some point. Possibly the most versatile opto around . Fact!
I LOVE my DCL on vocals and bass. On the off chance I am not using it on vocals and/or bass btr then I will use it on my mix buss and it makes me very happy there as well. I did replace the stock tubes with Sovteks and the unit came to life, just FYI.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Cranesong Trakker. Truly versatile.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

You might look at getting a pair of Chandler RS124 compressors. They are great for tracking (especially vocals) but in pairs they are also used for mixing and mastering. They even have a mastering edition.

Very versatile and also easy to use /hard to screw up. Everything that goes through them sounds better. Just barley kiss them with a couple db of gain reduction and they give you a nice clean compression. (not as clean as say a Dangerous compressor - but pretty darn clean). As you hit them harder they give you a little more beautiful rich tube tone - adding depth and dimension to the signal. Hit them really hard (30 db gain reduction) and you get a lot of color and texture but still musical and very low on compression artifacts. I say a "low" amount of artifacts because they must be there but I cant hear them. This makes them very forgiving to work with.

This is a Vari-Mu compressor so the amount of gain reduction is dependent on how hot the signal hitting the compression circuit is. Yielding very natural and musical outcomes. Gain reduction then is controlled by input gain staging (how hot is the signal coming into the box) and by the Input dial on the unit. So there's a built in compression slope that determines the amount of gain reduction based on the level of signal coming in.

The unit has a semi-hidden mode called 'Super Fuse'. Flip it into Super Fuse mode and the whole box assumes a more aggressive color-rich stance - a bit of a "don't fu-k with me" mode! This speeds up all the time constant settings in the box making it more aggressive. For some things Super Fuse is great.

The original RS124s at Abbey Road Studios are each modified and have some hardwired settings and slightly different circuits and sound. The Chandler version has an Attack dial for setting attack times - but this dial also offers options to select (the customized circuits and sound) of three different original RS124 units (designated by serial numbers as options on the dial) that are still in use today at Abbey Road Studios. They each have a different character.

Great sound, a lot of options but packaged in a way to keep the box simple to use and forgiving.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'd say, if you're setting up your first studio:

Keep It Simple

Manley ELOP or ELOP+ is great because it has few controls to mess with, so you'll end up making more music.
Old 13th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
-Anything Foote Control Systems. : p3s, p3ex, p4s
+1 on the Foote P3s Series, or P4s. Versatile and affordable. .

http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/78/p3...eo-compressor/

Good luck.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

A pair of distressors is very flexible. Add an LA2A or good clone/variation and everything is covered in a decent way.

But of course there are other options... It's just what i would do in your situation.
Old 15th August 2016
Here for the gear

I have been using a Universal Audio 6176 for several years now, and the only thing I would trade it for is my Manley Vox Box. The 6176 combine the features of a 610 preamp with EQ and the classic used-on-a-million recordings 1176 LN. I also have a couple Neve 2264's and an ancient Altec 436C, and while they have their applications, the UA is the one I will sell last if push ever comes to shove. The Manley has Pultec-like EQ, (I still cant believe I sold my two Pultecs years ago for what I paid-$500 for both), but it seems to shine best as a vocal device.
Old 28th August 2016
500 series nutjob

I have a number of compressors, and of all them what gets the most use would be the A-Design HM2 Nail, AML 54F50, the elysia xpressor. but I would not part with my others I have a pair of API 527 copm's and RETRO Doublewide that I absolutely love, as well as a BAC.
Also have several others.
Just my likes and there are more I say try it fist, work with a dealer that will work with you!!! build a relationship, thats the best thing you can do IMHO!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search