The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tears for Fears "Song from Big Chair" and "Sowing the Seeds of Love"
Old 31st July 2016
Gear Nut
Tears for Fears "Song from Big Chair" and "Sowing the Seeds of Love"

I always loved the sonics of those two albuns.
Checking in "AllMusic" they credit Dave Bascombe as engineer, mixing, producer.
But i guess i read somewhere that Bob Clearmountain was involved in those two albuns.
I know a lot of people dont like that 80s sound, but, at leats in my opinion, both of these records are kind of "one of a kind 80s" records, sonic and music wise.
Besides the obvius gated reverbs snares and etc, i think that they managed to have a kind of timeless and 80s sound at the same time
Anyone with particular insights of those two albuns?
Credits, gears used, process, anything!
I REALLY love the sounds of these 2 records!
Old 1st August 2016
Gear Addict

no insight, but Everybody Wants to rule the World is a classic
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

Love both albums!

'Woman in chains'.. What a song and mix!

Bob mixed 'sowing..' I believe and it's a stellar mix.
Old 1st August 2016
Deleted be25781
224XL, RMX-16 without a doubt, massive rooms, Fairlight sampling, and SSL

I talked to Dave Bascombe
Old 1st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumumano View Post
But i guess i read somewhere that Bob Clearmountain was involved in those two albuns.
The main producer on both albums was Chris Hughes though. He played drums and produced Adam and The Ants. he played some of the drums and did a lot of the programming on these TfF albums.
I was in the studio next door to them at Mayfair when they were working on 'The Seeds Of Love'. It was taking them a week to do a drum track for one song. A lot of programming and editing going on.
Old 1st August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzBass View Post
Isn't it just.

It seems this tune was sped up considerably, somewhere along the line. It doesn't conform to standard tuning.
Old 2nd August 2016
Lives for gear

way too much digital reverb
Old 2nd August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
way too much digital reverb
In 80s pop..? Nooo........ Never.

Old 2nd August 2016
Gear Head

If I'm not mistaken, Bob Clearmountain only mixed "Woman in Chains" and Dave Bascombe mixed the rest of the Seeds of Love album (I think he mixed Songs from the Big Chair also). I remember reading somewhere that Roland Orzabal didn't like Clearmountain's mixes for the rest of the album.
Old 2nd August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrand View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Bob Clearmountain only mixed "Woman in Chains" and Dave Bascombe mixed the rest of the Seeds of Love album (I think he mixed Songs from the Big Chair also). I remember reading somewhere that Roland Orzabal didn't like Clearmountain's mixes for the rest of the album.
Well, i saw in Spotify version of a song "Mothers Talk" that says its a Clearmountain mix.
Amazing song, amazing mix, one of the coolest, fatest bass lines ever!
Old 2nd August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, i saw in Spotify version of a song "Mothers Talk" that says its a Clearmountain mix.
Amazing song, amazing mix, one of the coolest, fatest bass lines ever!

You´re right! I think Chris Hughes also mixed some of their songs. They have some really great stuff.
Old 3rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
In 80s pop..? Nooo........ Never.

I guess it's ok then
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Guru

I think I recall them using Mitsubishi X-850's.
Old 3rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Seems like a lot of people like to dog on those 80s gated drum sounds but I can't imagine some of these songs sounding better any other way.

Songs from the Big Chair is a great, well layered album. So much going on in those songs.
Old 3rd August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
I guess it's ok then
It's a question of taste and fashion, at the time, isn't it.
Old 3rd August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
Seems like a lot of people like to dog on those 80s gated drum sounds but I can't imagine some of these songs sounding better any other way.

Songs from the Big Chair is a great, well layered album. So much going on in those songs.
Agreed.

Actually, I think I like this sound better now that I don't have to hear it all the time anymore.
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Guru

These two records see regular rotation on my turntable. Songs are not defined by a ten year period. The 80's were just 10 years of a huge variety of music. There were some trends because of the developing technologies, but that is true of every period. Reverb does not define the song. 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress' has huge reverb, and it is from 1971.

I have always thought that listening to the song 'Sowing the Seeds of Love' was a mind blowing experience and really like nothing else. However I have discovered it isn't even the best song on the record!
Old 3rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Love TFF.
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

If you're interested in some live concert footage of TFF circa the albums referenced by the OP, check this out.
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

'Woman in chains' is a study in mixing much like 'Avalon' from Roxy Music which was also another Bob mix.
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzBass View Post
One of my favorites. It's such a feel good song.
Mad World is also great.

Last edited by chrisdee; 4th August 2016 at 12:30 PM..
Old 4th August 2016
I haven't been able to get into Seeds of Love. The Hurting and Songs from the Big Chair are classic albums though. Chair was on constant play in the mid '80s and I never picked the album up at the time, but since I picked it up about 5 years ago it's been getting regular play. The way the tracks segue together and the production is brilliant. The Hurting is rougher but full of great tunes.
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

I think Tears For Fears is one of those bands that made a significant impact on the radio pop music scene, yet they are rarely drooled over by the techy engineering world due to the lack of "names" associated with their albums.
But from a creative standpoint....c'mon!!! They were awesome! They were that "ahead of their time" kinda band, yet many of us couldn't imagine that period without their influence.
AND, for any of you that aren't aware, their latest effort, "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" is one of my top 10 records ever! It came out in the earlier 2000's. L.A. Reed signed them to an Arista deal, but then he left the label soon after....the record came out with little fanfare, and to top it off, I believe the label was in the middle of dumping everything except chart raging teen bop! Ugh. Bummer. But my god! That record is THE lesson in mature pop songwriting AND production!
JJ
Boogie Tracks Recording Studio Boogie Tracks
Old 4th August 2016
Really?
I have to disagree.
I was around at the time. I had the same management as TfF.
They were considered by other musicians as 'a good band'.
There wasn't anything really revolutionary in what they were doing.
Good pop songs, well played and produced. That was it.
They didn't have a killer live show (I saw them a couple of times) and they only had a couple of albums that really impacted the scene.
There was so much amazing stuff that really was revolutionary going on in the 80's, for me, and i think a lot of others, Tears were just a good band. Nice tunes, nice production.
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

Hey Chrisso,

I concede their live performances are a bit lack luster. I do love their records, but when I finally saw them a few years ago, it was pretty much "ok". Certainly not on the level compared to many of today's live productions. They had a lot to be desired. I had seats 5' from FOH and was losing my mind over the incompetent sound guy. The mix was horrible, but he would never take his headphones off! What the?!?! He seemed to have an awesome mix in his phones though....idiot.
The most exciting part of the show was Roland covering "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson! ooof! awesome!
I remember years ago at the Knebworth Festival show. They were still pretty excited and the band was much more energetic. I guess we all get burnt out.
JJ
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Guru

I dunno, I watched this last night and I was blown away by how good it sounded. And how close to the sound on the records. Very impressive in my opinion:

Old 4th August 2016
Gear Nut
Pale Shelter 2nd version is also amazing mix!
I really like tha song, composition and production.
I was born in the 85, both my parents are really musical
Dad is really into jazz and 60s 70s rock.
Mom is more Motown, Police, TFF.
A lot of good music in my house when i was a kid.
I liked them all, but i had a special thing with synths stuff. I remember a Quincy Jones record, "Back on the Block" i was tottaly amazed at thr sounds.
Tears for Fears also, it wasant just the songs, it was the sonics.
I did not understand at the time how those sound were made.
To me it was kind of magic stuff.
Now i know how its done, and now i know also that it was not only the synths stuff.
It was the amazing modern mixes that my kid brains knew it was special.
I also include MJ "Off the Wall" and "Thriler" in the group of albums i used to listen as a kid that blew my mind not only for the songs, but for the sonics.
Another one that i remember, and i remenber asking a lot to my father:
"How was that sound made" it was that "Top Gun" song by Kenny Loggins "Danger"
There was some specific sounds i was really scratcging my head.
But the mixes also were doing something knew at that period right?
I mean for someone listening only bebop jazz, motown, 60/70s rock, i guess there is a big leap in therms of sonics comparing to 80s pop.
The space, stereo placing, that also changed radiccaly in the 80s, and my child brains really noticed those diferences.
Old 7th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I've seen Allmusic has a lot of inaccuracies on their site. I don't trust what they list in the credits at all.
Old 7th August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
From what I've seen Allmusic has a lot of inaccuracies on their site. I don't trust what they list in the credits at all.
Yep, i guess that for mixing and engineering credits its not the more reliable one.
But a lot of records also dont have the whole credits inside, so maybe even them
dont know!
Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, i guess that for mixing and engineering credits its not the more reliable one.
But a lot of records also dont have the whole credits inside, so maybe even them
dont know!
Story of my life! HaHa! Seriously though, the way charting records are made these days, there are dozens of people not getting their deserved credit. It's a shame that our standard of competency is based on a website that posts half azzed credits!
Remember to get something in writing if you have to get a P.O. for the project! Trust me, that alone has helped more than anything else. but don't think that's all it takes....it takes a completely new thread to discuss our bizz and our attempts to get what WE think we deserve compared to what everyone else thinks. You MUST pay your dues! Sadly though, you will still get screwed over!
Good luck everyone!
JJ
Boogie Tracks Recording Studio Boogie Tracks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search