The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tears for Fears "Song from Big Chair" and "Sowing the Seeds of Love"
Old 6th March 2020
Lives for gear

thnx for the heads up dude
Old 6th March 2020
Here for the gear

Loving this thread guys; both the tech insights and the music. This was the first CD I ever bought...and now my first post on GS

Anyway, check this RO interview that's just surfaced: more revealing on the inter personal relationship stuff and some new songs to come...

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/i...sde-interview/
Old 7th March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
thnx for the heads up dude
That 'Happy Ending' CD is currently my favorite record. It never gets old!

I'm still a bit surprised I've never heard any buzz about it, no songs on the radio, etc.
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear

Shortly after the boys broke up...
I got a call from Curt Smith about working on a new solo project with him.

Obviously Roland wasn't going to be involved, but he said he was basically going to bring in the entire Tears for Fears
live rhythm section with him.

Being a huge fan myself, I got to ask loads of questions about all their previous productions, how things were cut, who did what, the gear, etc, etc..

What I learned, and didn't know up to that time.
Is that Roland was micro managing everything in minute detail.

For example:

Manu cutting drums on Woman in Chains.
This could take 1 day, and or a week, depending on what Roland was searching for in that tune?

Now after that was done, Roland would then load the tracks into the Fairlight or Synclavier,
(I don't remember which one he used) and edit for another week or so.
(All this just for the first part of the drums for that particular song.)

According to Curt this was pretty much standard procedure for Roland.
So 2 weeks for a drum track wasn't that unusual.

Now remember where this all was taking place, and the cost of that studio time was a big deal $$$,
Especially Real World.
Multiply this for all the overdubs.
You get the deal

Apparently this work ethic, put the boys into serious debt with the label, and was also part of the reason they split shortly thereafter.

That said, I'm sure the label after it's release knew the guys had created a masterpiece, and made their money back 10 fold.
Looking back, what an achievement. One of the greatest records of all time.
A milestone in POP record production, and songwriting.

As for Curt and the band.
We had a blast, as we spent a few weeks together over the course of about 2 months.
He was one of the nicest people I ever met in this business, as was the band
What a great experience, one I will not soon forget!

Last edited by nobtwiddler; 7th March 2020 at 10:58 PM..
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

Great stories Paul, thanks for sharing.

I wonder how much Roland's perfectionism contributed to the overall quality of the music.

Speaking of which, Richard Lush described Paul McCartney as a perfectionist:

Last edited by Tubthumper; 8th March 2020 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: added video
Old 8th March 2020
Gear Maniac

I distinctly remember reading an article in Mix magazine or Keyboard about TfF tracking in their apartment to tape. They had cables running throughout the apartment to the machine. I couldn’t believe the sound they got on the drums from an apartment recording. I think this was for the Songs from the big chair album but I could be mistaken.

I heard them do Billie Jean love and it was phenomenal. Roland Orzabal is a character I hear but a creative guitarist, song writer and quite a singer, too.
Old 11th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Bill View Post
Clearmountain mixed not only "Woman in Chains" but also "Year of the Knife" from STSOL (apart from the bridge). Ridiculously good mix.
My favourite song on the album, Year of the Knife. Just sensational work.. the guitar work in particularly.
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
My favourite song on the album, Year of the Knife. Just sensational work.. the guitar work in particularly.
Yes! And the drums too. Simon Phillips. Stellar.
Old 12th March 2020
Gear Guru

"What you going to choose the poison or the knife?"

Old 15th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1064 View Post
I distinctly remember reading an article in Mix magazine or Keyboard about TfF tracking in their apartment to tape. They had cables running throughout the apartment to the machine. I couldn’t believe the sound they got on the drums from an apartment recording. I think this was for the Songs from the big chair album but I could be mistaken.
Would have been a drum machine me thinks - any live drums on that album??
Old 15th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Would have been a drum machine me thinks - any live drums on that album??
Tons of programed drums. But there is live drumming too. The huge sound often is something like the AMS RMX reverb
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Some cool new insights on the synths used in "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" in this article - https://reverbmachine.com/blog/tears...-world-synths/

Always thought this track was mostly Prophet, didn't know most of it was Yamaha DX7
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Steven Wilson has apparently remixed ‘sowing the seeds’. Would love to hear that if and when it comes out
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

"The Working Hour" is a sprawling, beautiful 80's opus with sax galore. Love that effing song so much and easily one my top 5 favorites from them. Lyrically it's very dark even though it doesn't sound it.

The reverbed synth stabs in both "Mother's Talk" and "Head Over Heels" are incredible. When the beat drops in "Mother's Talk" it's bananas how big that sounded then and to some extent even now within the context of the mix.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

I've often wondered if TFF were influenced by Peter Gabriel.... they hail from the same town, the music is not dissimilar in terms of genre and sophistication.

Exhibit A: check out the piano intros on these tracks (the audio on the TFF video takes a while to kick in)...

Old 19th September 2020
Gear Guru

I'm sure of it.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
"The Working Hour" is a sprawling, beautiful 80's opus with sax galore. Love that effing song so much...
👍🏻+1
Old 21st September 2020
What an astounding and outstanding thread! Thank you everyone, especially @ knobtwiddler , for the stories and keen insight into an incredible group and body of work.
📝 Reply