The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tears for Fears "Song from Big Chair" and "Sowing the Seeds of Love"
Old 11th August 2016
  #31
Gear Addict
 

tff has some really good deep cuts "standing on the corner of the third world" from seeds of love "when in love with a blind man" from Saturnine martial and .... "falling down, I choose you, lots Reyes catolicos" from Raoul and the Kings of Spain. these are some of my favorite songs ever though I don't necessarily feel all of their other material is up to this standard but if anyone is reading this wants to hear some deep cuts these are the ones I recommend
Old 12th August 2016
  #32
Lives for gear
 
burns46824's Avatar
Songs from the Big Chair has fantastic songs, but it's actually a pretty disappointing record in terms of sound quality. They recorded it in a bedroom and it sure sounds like it! Sowing the Seeds of Love is much more highly regarded in terms of sound quality, but I cannot speak upon the subject because I've only heard a few songs off of it.
Old 12th August 2016
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Lumbergh's Avatar
 

There was a period in the 90s in the UK when it was illegal to run a PA over 20k before audioning it with Seeds Of Love
Old 12th August 2016
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
One of my favorites. It's such a feel good song.
Mad World is also great.
Mad World is EPIC
Old 12th August 2016
  #35
Lives for gear
'JUST SAY NO' - I remember having a summer job working in a high end stereo shop - and this pregnant couple came in and wanted me to play the 'sowing the seeds' song to demo an amplifier... I played it for them and I think i walked out before the song was finished... nauseating.. ha. Can't stand that song to this day...
Old 12th August 2016
  #36
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Tears For Fears records are just straight up amazing. Classic stuff for sure.
Old 12th August 2016
  #37
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmith View Post
I played it for them and I think i walked out before the song was finished... nauseating..
Well the song is a trip, like an amusement park ride. So, ya... Some people might have that reaction.
Old 12th August 2016
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

I'm liking 'everybody loves a happy ending' at the moment.

Nice Tim Palmer mix

Wiggy
Old 13th August 2016
  #39
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I'm liking 'everybody loves a happy ending' at the moment.

Nice Tim Palmer mix

Wiggy
Thanks for the heads up, never heard it before and just listened to the album on YouTube. Fantastic!

Buying the CD now (apparently there's no vinyl).
Old 13th August 2016
  #40
Lives for gear
 
druhms's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Thanks for the heads up, never heard it before and just listened to the album on YouTube. Fantastic!

Buying the CD now (apparently there's no vinyl).
I'm telling you guys!....this album is a lesson in pop song writing / production!
I was a rabid donkey forcing it upon my friends every time we got in the car. I kept yelling at them to shut and listen....they don't ride with me anymore
JJ
Old 13th August 2016
  #41
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhms View Post
I'm telling you guys!....this album is a lesson in pop song writing / production!
I was a rabid donkey forcing it upon my friends every time we got in the car. I kept yelling at them to shut and listen....they don't ride with me anymore
JJ
Yeah man i also think they were a highly "progressive" pop band.
Definetly pop , but there are sofisticated ideias inside those songs, production and composition wise!
Old 13th August 2016
  #42
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I dunno, I watched this last night and I was blown away by how good it sounded. And how close to the sound on the records. Very impressive in my opinion:


Thanks so much for posting this video link. Made my night.
Old 14th August 2016
  #43
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Damn that live video sounds good!
Old 14th August 2016
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
Thanks so much for posting this video link. Made my night.
Mine as well. Huge fan and love the hi-res pono version of Songs (not to get in that argument whatsoever).

Video felt half-baked though. Drummer not playing the off beat hat on World and not playing snare at all on Shout was just limp. Vocals were at least sort of live, but would have been more enjoyable if they had just let it all out.
Old 19th August 2016
  #45
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Today I received my 'Everybody Loves a Happy Ending' CD. To think this came out 12 years ago and I've been without it all this time!

Stunning sound. I'm still sorting it out, but I do love it. Not sure where to rate it yet, the only down side, it is a little uneven and there are some songs that didn't work as well for me, but when it is on it is beautiful.

Roland and Curt are such chameleons, you just can't peg them down. Immediately I heard the Beatles, so much so some sounds could have been on the next Beatles record. But then I heard Queen, the ghost of Freddie was haunting them for sure. And out of the blue Alice Cooper! I was then hit with the Goo Goo Dolls, spot on. And closing out, a definite David Bowie influence. Such flavors, and such beautiful sonic landscapes.

I'll be playing this lots more.
Old 25th August 2016
  #46
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Did I mention a bit of Badfinger, and Scissor Sisters?

And what a great song this is:

Old 3rd February 2019
  #47
Lives for gear
 
maestro's Avatar
Saw TFF live for first time at beginning of European Tour this week. Best live band I have ever seen by a long shot. Absolutely breathtaking musicianship. Was I surprised? Yes. Just thought I was going to catch 5 or 6 hits. I was stunned.
Old 3rd February 2019
  #48
Lives for gear
 
santibanks's Avatar
There is an interview with Steven Wilson in the january SOS. He goes into detail about the album (as he remixed it) and there are some screenshots from the sessions as well: Steven Wilson: Remixing Classic Albums |
Old 3rd February 2019
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks View Post
There is an interview with Steven Wilson in the january SOS. He goes into detail about the album (as he remixed it) and there are some screenshots from the sessions as well: Steven Wilson: Remixing Classic Albums |
I’m curious to see what Steven does with this album. I mean listen to “women in chains” and I just don’t think it’ll be easy to top Bob’s mix. The doyen at the top of his game deleriving amazing mixes!
Old 4th February 2019
  #50
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I dunno, I watched this last night and I was blown away by how good it sounded. And how close to the sound on the records. Very impressive in my opinion:

Well, that's the diff between now and 1962. You record a live gig now with the drums behind plexi baffles, everything tapped direct off the console into 128 separate tracks on the daw, and do some great post-production mixing.

In a way, I bet the people in the room experienced a much different sound...albeit, fun and exciting.

By the way, the end moments of "rule" are yet another example of why every guitar player will/must add a telecaster to the collection.

As an aside, my two favorite tff tracks remain (since the days they were on the radio) "change" and "pale shelter". Esp pale shelter.
Old 4th February 2019
  #51
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
way too much digital reverb
What? That reverb is my favorite part!
Old 4th February 2019
  #52
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

I saw TFF live in 2017 opening for Hall & Oates. The sound was not so good, kind of boomy. Though the playing was spot on and I still enjoyed it.

Kind of surprising as the sound for Hall & Oates was as good as I've ever heard in a large stadium. Outstanding show, they played like it was still the 70's!
Old 4th February 2019
  #53
Lives for gear
 
myles's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I saw TFF live in 2017 opening for Hall & Oates. The sound was not so good, kind of boomy. Though the playing was spot on and I still enjoyed it.

Kind of surprising as the sound for Hall & Oates was as good as I've ever heard in a large stadium. Outstanding show, they played like it was still the 70's!
Big Bam Boom. Frequently alternating with Songs From the Big Chair at the time, along with Big Express. Great songwriting, production, arranging, playing.
Old 4th February 2019
  #54
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Songs from the Big Chair has fantastic songs, but it's actually a pretty disappointing record in terms of sound quality. They recorded it in a bedroom and it sure sounds like it! Sowing the Seeds of Love is much more highly regarded in terms of sound quality, but I cannot speak upon the subject because I've only heard a few songs off of it.
Actually, they renovated a large historic building and turned it into a residential commercial studio. I'm guessing there was a bedroom..

Wool Hall Studios now closed

The Wool Hall - Wikipedia
Old 5th February 2019
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Tubthumper's Avatar
 

I don't know if this rumour is true, perhaps I read it here, BUT, the story goes that TFF had Bob C mix the entire Sowing The Seeds of Love album, they were unhappy with the mixes and ended up keeping just one, Woman in Chains.

I cant imagine listening back to a Bob mix of one of my productions and thinking "Hmm, I'm disappointed".

To each their own I guess, and it's a reminder that, when it comes to art, subjectivity rules.
Old 5th February 2019
  #56
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

As an aside, my two favorite tff tracks remain (since the days they were on the radio) "change" and "pale shelter". Esp pale shelter.
Have you listened to all the tracks on 'Everybody Loves A Happy Ending'?

This record is among a small handful of my very favorite records. And it isn't even on vinyl. Just beautiful.
Old 5th February 2019
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
I don't know if this rumour is true, perhaps I read it here, BUT, the story goes that TFF had Bob C mix the entire Sowing The Seeds of Love album, they were unhappy with the mixes and ended up keeping just one, Woman in Chains.

I cant imagine listening back to a Bob mix of one of my productions and thinking "Hmm, I'm disappointed".

To each their own I guess, and it's a reminder that, when it comes to art, subjectivity rules.
Interesting.. “Women In chains” has Bob all over it.

So mixed mixed the rest Dave Bascomb?
Old 5th February 2019
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Tubthumper's Avatar
 

I believe so Wiggy, can't recall where I read it but it's stuck in my mind ever since.

I love the bass guitar (fretless?) and drum machine part at the start of Woman In Chains, fabulous reverb on the hats, then very dry snare hits. Then the song starts, and builds, it's typical Bob, monumental.

Dave Bascombes' mixes on the remaining tracks are great IMHO.
Old 5th February 2019
  #59
Too much lexicon 224 and AMS reverbs. To much of an SSL 4k thinness and screech. Many 1980's records deserve a re-mix. Hope springs eternal...
Old 5th February 2019
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Lumbergh's Avatar
 

The verb is definitely of its time, sadly the CD master was also of its time (mixed for vinyl, direct conversion using period ADC.) Seeds of Love sounded amazing to me through a decent turntable system. And pretty great through a big TurboSound rig at every soundcheck in the early 90s UK

Interesting about the mixing, Woman in Chains sounds like its from a different album next to the rest of it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump