The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 4K and outboard
Old 22nd July 2016
SSL 4K and outboard

Hey slutz,

Mainly for SSL users, but how do you run your outboard compressors? I've been using them as inserts on channels, but I've recently been watching Scheps on Mix With The Masters talk about using parallel compression for a lot of his mixing. He's been mixing ITB, but I thought I could apply that to my SSL and workflow.

Would you run it from the Aux Sends and blend the signal into the Compressor?
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Guru

Use your output busses to send to a compressor and bring the returns up on open channels.
Old 22nd July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Use your output busses to send to a compressor and bring the returns up on open channels.
what he said, or you can duplicate tracks in pro-tools, bring it back into the ssl on different channels and apply compression and filters as needed and blend back into the mix
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

I do the same as Tony suggests on my raindirk symphony which has the same online setup as an SSL .

Sometimes I'll buss out analogue from source Channel say of a snare and then bring back line in on a new console Channel.

Or..

I'll take a buss send from the source Channel in tools and create an aux channel in tools and then bring this back on a new console Chanel. This allows me to automate the send level when I add another buss Chanel sending to a new track in record. This gives me an aux from pt and another recorded track from the source channel that is audio that I can run automation on and then send out same DA into the new console Chanel.

Allows me to automate a bit more "push" when required from the parallel.

Obviously like an SSL I can insert a comp on the new paralell channel to taste.. Boom!
Wiggy
Old 23rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Another way, which I use is to make let say ch 1-2 to subgroups, send whatever there with matrix and use comp on 1-2 inserts, blend with fader to taste.
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Addict

I'm forgetting the SSL console bus compressor and have a Red 3 (with side chain filter) pre VCA insert, and an A-Designs HM2-Nail in the post VCA insert.

The Red 3 is for the sound of the transformers, and it will do a small amount of compression If I'm hitting the two bus too hard.

The Nail sits after the Master Fader, so I use that to push into the compressor, as it quicker than adjusting the input on each side (that I've toned to be the same)

The Nail has a wet/dry blend control, so you just dial it for Parallel compression as desired, think it's actually one of the best bus compressors ever.. with the two threshold controls :-)) variable side chain filter :-)
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Addict

Just plug a patch cord out of the channel into an open channel. EQ and compress the snot out of the new channel and blend in to taste.
I would never use an Aux send for this.

Great for adding some hi end to a snare. You can gate the crap out of the new channel and add sizzle to a dull snare without affecting the low end punch.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search