The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I a Gearslut
Old 20th July 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

Am I a Gearslut

Saw an original Telefunken U47 with a VF-14 tube in excellent condition on Reverb for 20k and thought it was reasonable. In fact, I thought if I had the money I used to have I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, its a little pricey but people buy cars for much more and they depreciate the minute you buy them. This mic arguably, if kept in good condition, will on appreciate in value.

So, am I a Gearslut?
Old 20th July 2016
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Saw an original Telefunken U47 with a VF-14 tube in excellent condition on Reverb for 20k and thought it was reasonable. In fact, I thought if I had the money I used to have I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, its a little pricey but people buy cars for much more and they depreciate the minute you buy them. This mic arguably, if kept in good condition, will on appreciate in value.

So, am I a Gearslut?
More like a gear collector. I'm not sure I know any working engineers that would pay that.
Old 20th July 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
only if you buy five of them and then a dozen pre amps to determine which combination sounds best for your project studio's first music project.
Old 21st July 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Saw an original Telefunken U47 with a VF-14 tube in excellent condition on Reverb for 20k and thought it was reasonable. In fact, I thought if I had the money I used to have I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, its a little pricey but people buy cars for much more and they depreciate the minute you buy them. This mic arguably, if kept in good condition, will on appreciate in value.

So, am I a Gearslut?
That's kinda like asking if you're an alcoholic. If you think you might be you probably are. Nice acquisition though. My dream
Mic.
Old 21st July 2016
  #5
Gear Nut
 
renaker's Avatar
11k-ish is the absolute max I go, knowing they can be brought back to tippy top sonic (and aesthetic if one is so inclined) order... and that's if they're not already sounding absolutely gorgeous. In my head, 20k seems like giving money away; not so sure about recouping your cost at that price tag in the near future either. The appearance was pretty bad, but the best u47 I've heard so far was recently acquired for 9k.

Gearslut is a state of mind.
Old 21st July 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
More like a gear collector. I'm not sure I know any working engineers that would pay that.
That was the point, it was meant as hyperbole. Ever heard of it?
Old 21st July 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

I don't horde, collect or buy vintage gear. In fact I buy mostly new, rarely used. But I really like microphones. They are such wonderful devices. So simple and elegant. There is something alluring about every microphone. That was the hyperbolic point.
Old 21st July 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
brianellefson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I don't horde, collect or buy vintage gear. In fact I buy mostly new, rarely used. But I really like microphones. They are such wonderful devices. So simple and elegant. There is something alluring about every microphone. That was the hyperbolic point.
Let me explain my own perspective and example of true Gearslutz affliction:

Constantly buying, trading and selling gear. Buying things you think you'll need and end up using once. Selling things you used a lot because something else comes with tubes. Moving so much gear on *********** that they write you an email telling you you're one of the top "stores" for the month and you're not even a public studio much less a retail music store. Keeping a separate checking account that has the nickname "Gear Money" on your statements. I could go on.
Old 21st July 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
brianellefson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
Let me explain my own perspective and example of true Gearslutz affliction:

Constantly buying, trading and selling gear. Buying things you think you'll need and end up using once. Selling things you used a lot because something else comes with tubes. Moving so much gear on *********** that they write you an email telling you you're one of the top "stores" for the month and you're not even a public studio much less a retail music store. Keeping a separate checking account that has the nickname "Gear Money" on your statements. I could go on.
Continued:

Selling a 1965 Fender Twin because you want variety. Buying a Kemper, playing it for three months then selling it because, turns out, you only really needed one good profile and some pedals. Then buying a Two Rock, which is loosely based on an early Fender Twin.
Old 21st July 2016
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
That was the point, it was meant as hyperbole. Ever heard of it?
Nice edit.
Old 21st July 2016
  #11
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
please do yourself a favor and have a Great Tech look at this microphone before you buy .. i assume you will but just sayin' ... i have heard horror stories of U47's looking good on the outside but the inside is a mix and match of cheap parts - since they took out the good parts and sold them ..

be very careful ... there are some fine newer microphones out there that will fit the U47 style .. and no 2 U47's are alike ..

my .02 from one Slut to another .. !! cheers john
Old 21st July 2016
  #12
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
$20k? Not worth it. Not even close. At that price you will not see appreciation for quite awhile - if ever.
Old 21st July 2016
  #13
Dot
Lives for gear
 
Dot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
So, am I a Gearslut?
I'd call that something like a GearFlower. The gear version of a wallflower.

Here's a simple Gearslut test for mics:

How many vintage 47s have you been with?

Do you find that you have "a thing" for older mics?

Do you know what a MILF is? Hint...M stands for mic.

How many other mics have you had in your hands and on or near your mouth?

Have you used a mic with no hands? One hand? Two hands?

Have you ever used more than one mic at once? How many?

How many people have you done a "gang vocal" with on one mic?

Do you find that you derive great pleasure from "plugging" a mic in?

Have you ever loved a mic, only to get rid of it when something else better came along?

Have you ever liked a mic so much that you wanted another one just like it—so that you'd have a "pair?" One was just not enough for you.

Have you ever taught someone how to properly "work a mic?"

Have you ever had to remove lipstick from a pop filter?
Old 21st July 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
There is a beautiful chrome badge VF14 U47 right here in the GS classified for 1200 euro I would buy long before shelling out 20k.

Old 21st July 2016
  #15
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
<<as everyone rushes to the GS classifieds....>>

did you forget a zero?
Old 21st July 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
<<as everyone rushes to the GS classifieds....>>

did you forget a zero?
Yup!!



Make that

12000

Old 23rd July 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

You got me with that one also.....damn zeroes....always missing...
Old 23rd July 2016
  #18
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
You didn't buy it so you're not a gearslut you're just a pundter. You probably have five bucks.
Old 24th July 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Clockwise's Avatar
I'm not a gearslut, but this is what an authentic gearslut would do imo.

1. Read loads of reviews, new product alerts and find something "legendary".
2. Buy it without trying
3. Install/place it in a well organised and nicely decorated studio
4. Take photos and show it off on Gearslutz
5. The number of "likes" makes the whole gearslutting more and more addictive
6. Back to 1

With the case of Crazy4Jazz, maybe it's not gearslutting because not many people seem to find the mic as envious for the price.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump