The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KH805 or BM14S II for Opal 2.1 Setup
View Poll Results: Which is best for matching with the Opals?
Neumann KH 805
6 Votes - 75.00%
Dynaudio BM14S II
2 Votes - 25.00%
Other
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th July 2016
Gear Head

KH805 or BM14S II for Opal 2.1 Setup (subwoofer match)

Hello friends.

I am looking into solving my Opal port venting issue by adding a Sub to my setup.

The Opals are great speakers and go low, but not without moving so much air through the vent ports to the point that air turbulence creates noise and it is very disturbing specially when soloing instruments with lower freq such as bass synths and kick drums.

So, Event says this is not an issue, it is merely a characteristic of the speaker design and recommended adding a sub to the setup to prevent the Opals from reproducing content on the lower freq that causes the issue.

Having said this I have looked into two options to match the Opals:

Dynaudio BM14S
Neumann KH 805

Price-wise they are pretty much equal. my budget is around 1.5k usd

I couldn't find much information online, so I come here for help.

Have you had any experience with it?
Between this and the KH 805 which one do you think is the best match for the Opals?
The dynaudio has a variable highpass for the satellites, whereas the neumann is fixed at 80hz

What is your take between these two ?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by diogodasilva; 20th July 2016 at 01:38 PM..
Old 20th July 2016
Gear Head

anyone?
Old 20th July 2016
I don't know about the Neumann, but I have used many times the little brother of the Dynaudio, the BM9S and recently the mkII version and it is an incredible sub. It goes pretty low, fast transient response and with great headroom to be used with room correction systems ( I used the mkII paired with BM6 mkIII at a friend's studio with Dirac Live room correction and the response was flat to 27hz without loosing spl power), so I guess the BM14 should be even better.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Head
I've had the KH805 in my studio for a couple days now. I got it to extend my KH120's which are great. I'm monitoring with a Metric Halo ULN8. My room is custom built, isolated, and treated.

Couldn't imagine a better match. It's not just the extended bass it adds, it seems just by going through the electronics of the KH805 the KH120's become different monitors. The soundstage becomes faster, taller, deeper, wider, more 3D, and more focused. The sweet spot is noticeably wider. This is apparent even when monitoring at low levels.

I feel very confident in the resolution I'm hearing from my system top to bottom, it doesn't sound lacking in any way. Since both brands you referenced aren't matches for your monitors I'd say listen to both if you can.

I tried to justify not needing it but after meticulous A/B of the sub in and out via a footswitch I came to the above conclusion.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Head

Thanks a lot for your input!
glad to hear you like it, I found a nice discount on the DYn so went for it mainly due to price and also because it has a variable low pass pot instead of a fixed one so I am guessing it will be easier to match with the Opals.

Have you measured your room response before and after the sub?
Do you think it has introduced or increased any modal issues on the low freq side ?

I read so much about subs and it seems a lot of people prefer NO sub vs ONE sub. Apparently they only support using subs with a minimum of TWO and up to FOUR.

I have never had a Sub on my room so I wouldn't be able to say, but that got me thinking.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZIKSLUT View Post
I've had the KH805 in my studio for a couple days now. I got it to extend my KH120's which are great. I'm monitoring with a Metric Halo ULN8. My room is custom built, isolated, and treated.

Couldn't imagine a better match. It's not just the extended bass it adds, it seems just by going through the electronics of the KH805 the KH120's become different monitors. The soundstage becomes faster, taller, deeper, wider, more 3D, and more focused. The sweet spot is noticeably wider. This is apparent even when monitoring at low levels.

I feel very confident in the resolution I'm hearing from my system top to bottom, it doesn't sound lacking in any way. Since both brands you referenced aren't matches for your monitors I'd say listen to both if you can.

I tried to justify not needing it but after meticulous A/B of the sub in and out via a footswitch I came to the above conclusion.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Head
You're welcome.
I have not measured my room before and after. I'm sure that would help. However I did change the position of my satellites some. I also ended up switching the KH805 to it's lowest output setting and a very low input setting. Gave me what I was missing without introducing anything undesirable to my room and mixing position.

I basically tuned the sub to give me just about the same bass volume as the 120's except I get more intelligible bass that I can also feel. I'm using my sub to give me what I imagine the KH310's would without a sub, except this setup is probably more flexible and may sound better.

About multiple subs... I couldn't imagine having/needing more in my room, but I get the application. I think it's called a "plane wave array" where the sub frequencies pass down the room evenly. For my needs/room that would be too much bass information. Now I feel confident I can hear entire music spectrum and make critical mixing decisions.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search