The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Of mic pres and mics... Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

busted

Flamongo is just a bit better than the Flamingo
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
More votes for any other pres? Let's hear from you.
Pendulum MDP-1a
Some OSA stuff
FMR RNP
Speck MP5.0 (if available in time)

Of these I'd like most to see the Pendulum included.
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Maniac

personally I could care less if any Avalon pre's are used...I am not sure why they are so popular judging by the competition that is available today...

I personally feel that they are popular partly because they are heavily distributed compared to some other pre's
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
personally I could care less if any Avalon pre's are used...I am not sure why they are so popular judging by the competition that is available today...

I personally feel that they are popular partly because they are heavily distributed compared to some other pre's

tut tut tut .... I know why you don't like it ..... because you don't hear it (2022 or m5 I mean). It is IMVHO the only pre you do not hear ..... it is for me the most natural / transparent sounding pre available today. nothing I know keeps it's basses so tight, it's mids so flat and continues breathing in the highs like a fresh summer breeze. If you don't like the sound that comes out of it .... trust me .... it is the source that's to blame.
Old 16th October 2002
This is true, however don't forget about Pendulum, Great River and Millennia all very nice clean preamps...
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Maniac

" I know why you don't like it ..... because you don't hear it"

probably true...I'm looking for pre's and equipement that color and enhance...and anything to take the digital bite/edge out of my sound...I am not so interested in things sounding like reality...

Old 16th October 2002
Gotcha Jon.

I've probably tried those mics with most of those pre's(with the exception being the Vipre and the Great River NV). So I have my own opinions. The only pre's I would add from experience would be: Neve 1081, Amek CIB(i think someone suggested this one) and don't laugh at me on this one...Avalon VT737!!! Another to consider and I think you have this one is the Martech MSS10.

Good Luck!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Good point, thrill.

I'm thinking tentatively about comparing pres on lead vocals using my 47 and the C800G.

I have a few vocalists in mind...male rock/metal, male rap, female pop, and female R&B.

The big 4 vocal situations I deal the most often with.

Two mics.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Nut

I saw both the Neve 1073 and the 1081 were mentioned. Please correct me if I'm wrong here....but aren't the mic pres in both of these units identical?? I've personally never used a 1081, but I have a foggy memory of them being the same pre but with different eq points.
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Head

A lot of people have suggested a number of their favorite mic pres yet but you can all ready hear all this gear if you just order one of Lynn's CD's.

Lee

Mic Pre Shoot Out

Amek 9098 Dual Mic Amp
Aphex 1100-Tube
API 512
ART Tube Channel
Audio Upgrades High-Speed Mic Preamp
Avalon VT-737
Buzz MA-2
Cranesong Flamingo
Daking 52270
dbx 386
dbx 786
D.W. Fearn VT-2
Earthworks LAB 102
Focusrite Red 1
Focusrite ISA 110
Focusrite 430-Producer Pack
GML 8300
Grace Design 201
Great River MP-2MH
Hardy M-1
Langevin
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
Manley Dual Mono
Martech MSS-10
Millennia HV-3B
Millennia M-2B-tube
Neve 1081
Oram MWS
Presonus MP20
Sytek
Telefunken V-76
Vac Rac
Vintech
Old 17th October 2002
Capitol Studios Paris

I bought Lynn's CD, and with all due respect, found the choice of mics and singing styles of little relevance to what I do.
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

I saw both the Neve 1073 and the 1081 were mentioned. Please correct me if I'm wrong here....but aren't the mic pres in both of these units identical

Hi Matt.. this is a common misconception.

THe 1073 comes from the king daddy class A series of mudules which is based around the ever popular BA283 tranistorized plug in amplifier module. THis is the basic gain satge or bulding block used throughout the Class A series consoles. It is also the prime component in the 1272 LINE AMP........ which is often modded into a mic pre. The 1272 has a max output gain of nearly 45 db which in most cases is cool for thing but in other is not nearely enough gain to get where u want to go! So in order to create the 70-80 db of mic input gain Rupert piggy backed 2 BA283's onto each other to create two cascading gainstages... thats why when u use a 10xx series it clicks into an off position about 9'o clock from memmory?..... not looking at mine right now so i forget.. naughty me!!!!!tut

The 1081 is a class A/B and relies on the same type of gain stages in plug in amp card as the 10xx series, just in an A/B format. The basic bulding block of the A/B series can be found int he 3415 LINE AMP... which like the CLASS A 1273 can also be converted into mic pre... woo hoo... neve on the cheap!

Which is better?... that for ur ears to work out.. altho IMHO the A/B series are more usable and flexible and have more 'cool' frequencies to fiddle with!

either way they are all great sounding and incredibly flexible tools... any one who tells u less is on crack and should be summarirlyl executed....heheheheheeheheheh

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Nut

Hey Wiggy!! Thanks for the info!!
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear
oK, I NEED some help, I have a vipre on order but, snot here yet the flamingo looks like a better deal but is the vipre so much better that I should buy it and wait for a flamingo and a hardy? What do you guys use the hardys for? clean acoustic stuff? Which Hardys?
Ok I just got the Soundelux 195 the other day, used it on guitar and girl vox but I liked it, I think its a steal! Wish I had remembered the fat switch cause this girl needed it! Thanks
daniel
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

Vipre

I have the Flamingo and Vipre. The Vipre is a more flexible and versatile pre. They are both great. If you use a ribbon the Vipre is essential.
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

The Vipre will really make your mics come alive . . . . I have found that I am pulling mics out of the locker that I have not used in years to see what the Vipre will do with them . . . . and end up using them as they come alive with the right settings.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

That´s interesting.......
Should I get the Flamingo as my main preamp?
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

avalon 737 with a blue dragonfly deluxe with b6 capsule. they work well together.great for saxophone.
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

I tried an Avalon 737 and Millennia on a rock session last weekend. Neither of them blew me away on anything I tried them on. I'd have to agree with many others here that they're "boring" sounding. I have Hardy M-1's for "clean/transparent", and that's what I ended up using, through an Esoteric Audio compressor that was "Like Butter"!
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by juniorhifikit
I tried an Avalon 737 and Millennia on a rock session last weekend. Neither of them blew me away on anything I tried them on.
Hey Junior which mics did you use with the avalon and what did you record with it? I agree that the Avalon isn't the only channel strip to have but Its a nice one to have in the rack. I really like the direct inject for bass, the comp is limited but will work with the average singer and the eq really gives alot of tones.
I think for the $ its one of the more useful channel strips around.
but it may not blow you away
Daniel
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorhifikit
I tried an Avalon 737 and Millennia on a rock session last weekend. Neither of them blew me away on anything I tried them on. I'd have to agree with many others here that they're "boring" sounding. I have Hardy M-1's for "clean/transparent", and that's what I ended up using, through an Esoteric Audio compressor that was "Like Butter"!
well the avalon is very clear and does not have a overpowering tube sound even though i think it has a personality..so i guess if you are looking for something that adds a great amount of texture it would not be right for you....for myself i just like a more transparent source , then if i want i manipulate it later with some tube gear.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

Jon

Did you do the shoot out?

Also I'm looking for an alternative mic pre to the Trak 2 for female vocals, something more coloured and flattering.

Do you (or anyone else) have any ideas?

I'm using the AKG Solid Tube at the moment so I need a new mic too, obviously. I'm planning on getting a CL1B too. \

TIA
Old 30th December 2002
jzb
Gear Nut

Please include a Daking mic pre. These should rate a listen.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

current faves

my new 'go to' pres are:
SLAM! for vocals and butter
Trac 2 for ribbon pairs and super accurate stuff
Vipre sounds good for most things
Requisite PAL - loves vocals and electric guitars

of course, this could all change tommorrow
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear
Re: current faves

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
my new 'go to' pres are:
SLAM! for vocals and butter
Trac 2 for ribbon pairs and super accurate stuff
Vipre sounds good for most things

Hey Chap what else do you favor the Slam on?
I guess for what it does its priced right but hell I'm still trying to recover from the vipreheh
Oh Yeah, did you try the slam with it's digital i/o ?
thanks
daniel
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Maniac

U.A 2-610 and the new Chandler pre, please I have to see
how the 2-610 stacks up.
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:

at least two of you mentioned the requisite pal !
I'm surprised that it is not more popular among all of you

It is my personal first choice, I have a pal+ (LA2 clone after the preamp)
great on vocal and bass, also a few other application

Fairman is very good too

love the VIPRE

Love vintage Quad8 (MM61,MM62,etc)

Api, Neve, manley etc ... comes just after those mentioned above

But I'm not a real gearnut, as soon as I find a good pre suiting my taste, I don't spend an insane amount of time finding a better one.

as for mics, since I plugged a tlm193 (Iknow, Iknow ...) in the Pal, I don't believe that there is such thing as a useless mic.

Therefore, my favorites are U47,U47 fet, U67, U87 (the older ones), Elam 251, C12, Soundelux (all of those I tried), Royer (all), SM57, Sony C800g when not out of order, Brauner VM-1, Coles ribbon, RCA ... , somebody stop me now !
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...SLAM! for vocals and butter...
Don't you mean buttah?
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

no low priced spread

" Don't you mean buttah?"

Sure I do, no margerine
Old 21st January 2003
Mindreader

WHAT HAPPENED?

DID THIS THIS SHOOT OUT EVER HAPPEN???
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Head

what about the Mindprint DTC? the pres are pretty nice on it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search