The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chain clock src
Old 16th July 2016
Here for the gear

Chain clock src

Hello,
I have a Metric Halo LIO-8, a Tc R4000 reverb, and a ZED R16.
The problem is that the LIO-8 has aes and wordclock, the tc R4000 has aes, word clock and toslink, but the ZED R16 has only adat.

I just want to clock the ZED as slave with the clock of the LIO-8 as master and to do that I want to chain the gears like this :
LIO-8 ---(aes to aes)---> R4000 ---(toslink to adat)---> ZED R16
My question is about the connection toslink to adat.
Is it possible ? Or I need the box to convert the clock.

I just want to clock the zed to the lio-8 and don't want to pass audio because there is a firewire connect on the ZED.

thanks
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Reading the specs of the TC R4000 reverb unit, it has ADAT I/O TC Electronic Reverb 4000 | Sweetwater.com so use that. Toslink can be a confusing term as most of the time they mean optical stereo (optical Spdif) and some others interchange the word for ADAT. It's the same optical cable that is used for both. You just need to check the gear itself whether the optical ports are 2 channel or 8 channel or even switchable (Spdif or ADAT) digital transfer format. Clocking data is carried along with audio data by both formats.

Typically clocking and gear hookup questions are posted in the general "so much gear, so little time" forum here for your future reference.

Last edited by Bassmankr; 16th July 2016 at 03:15 PM..
Old 17th July 2016
Here for the gear

thanks Bassmankr.
Do you think that the src clock signal on the input of the r4000 is transformed by the r4000 on the output optical/adat
OR
the output optical/adat sends the internal src clock of the R4000 ?

In fact, is it the same src in the input and in the output ? Becausee i don't want to receive in the zedr16 the internal clock of the r4000 but I want to receive the clock of the Metric Halo.
Old 18th July 2016
Lives for gear

When hooking up as you want, the r4000's internal clock is not the Master. When setting up clocking you specifiy a Master clock and all other digital devices connected to it are Slaves. You set the specific hardware / software of each unit to relect this. In your above configuration the r4000 is a Slave and thus it receives clock signal via AES or Wordclock from the Lio Master and the r4000 retransmits that clock via it's ADAT out to the Zed Slave unit. It's called a "Daisey Chain" configuration. As for the quality of daisey chaining clock signal like you want to do vs. a direct connection from Master to each Slave, it is what it is since thats all your specific hardware will allow to be able to all work together. There is free net info via search on digital device clocking fundamentals that may be of help for you to expand your knowledge.

Many would just use the ZED as their computer interface / Master clock via it's firewire port direct to the computer given the larger amount of it's I/O and run the r4000 either analog or via ADAT as a slave. You run into problems when you have two computer interfaces from different makers as you are trying to use. If you truely need a higher channel count computer interface than the ZED allows you may want to look into other solutions. Using the Hilo Lio as your interface limits you to 8 I/O with the computer but it has better converters. Using the ZED as your interface gives you a higher 16 I/O with the computer. The problem with interfaces / converters is that as your needs expand to needing more channels it's easy to be painted into a corner with gear that is only 8 or 16 channels as there is no good upgrade path available. Some manufacturers 8 channel interfaces allow expansion using more of that same manufacturer's equipment. The ZED alows expansion using another ZED via chaining through it's second firewire port. Your problem however is using two different maker's interfaces in the same computer which is often very hard or impossible to make work. The devil is in the details.
Old 19th July 2016
Here for the gear

thank you for the answers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search