The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Millennia Media Build Quality?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Head

Millennia Media Build Quality?

I’d like to ask my fellow gear slutz what kind of experience they’ve had with Millennia Media. I’m asking because my employer is looking to buy several remote-controlled 8-channel preamps and Millennia looks like it could be a viable option. My personal experience with Millennia is that they have poor quality control and a high failure rate. Of the dozen or so Millennia preamps I’ve used at various venues, almost all have experienced major failures, and some were even delivered broken straight from the factory. Just to give two examples: one unit, an HV-3R, was delievered with the screen dangling inside the case; the factory hadn’t bothered to screw it in. And an HV-3D I was using failed and started outputting 200 volts of DC from every line output, which fried our ADC. For years now I’ve just been calling it bad luck and assumed it wasn’t a larger trend, but then I read this from an article about UNT’s recording system:

“We bought the Dante upgrade for an existing 8 channel remote, and a month later it stopped working. We also bought three HV-3D 8-channel microphone preamps with Dante, and one with AES for another department. Two came with broken power lights that they shipped out replacements for me to install. While having the lid off, I noticed the cable management and Dante card installation looked a bit messy. The cards were crooked, propped up by cable. I told Millennia about it, they didn’t seem to care. Then those units stopped working. I asked to have them rebuilt since there seemed to be a growing trend of problems. Even the owner made time to visit and apologize. That left one working HV-3D that had been built at a different time. While I was on leave about 6 months later it stopped working, and was shipped back to discover it was a bug in their Dante implementation and may have been as simple as a firmware update. At that point we returned all 3 of the HV-3D (two never made it back out of the box anyways), the lab kept their AES unit, and we kept the remote unit since it was only an upgrade.

I think when 5 of 5 units failed within the first year it warrants a return. For you die-hard fans, I personally owned a Millennia so there’s some weight behind this. I think their old gear is great, but the new gear is simply not what it used to be.”

I no longer think that my experience is a fluke, but I’d like to ask around and see what everyone else has to say. Is Millennia a well-built, high-quality piece of equipment, or does it have a failure rate higher than Behringer?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinotuba View Post
I’d like to ask my fellow gear slutz what kind of experience they’ve had with Millennia Media. I’m asking because my employer is looking to buy several remote-controlled 8-channel preamps and Millennia looks like it could be a viable option. My personal experience with Millennia is that they have poor quality control and a high failure rate. Of the dozen or so Millennia preamps I’ve used at various venues, almost all have experienced major failures, and some were even delivered broken straight from the factory. Just to give two examples: one unit, an HV-3R, was delievered with the screen dangling inside the case; the factory hadn’t bothered to screw it in. And an HV-3D I was using failed and started outputting 200 volts of DC from every line output, which fried our ADC. For years now I’ve just been calling it bad luck and assumed it wasn’t a larger trend, but then I read this from an article about UNT’s recording system:

“We bought the Dante upgrade for an existing 8 channel remote, and a month later it stopped working. We also bought three HV-3D 8-channel microphone preamps with Dante, and one with AES for another department. Two came with broken power lights that they shipped out replacements for me to install. While having the lid off, I noticed the cable management and Dante card installation looked a bit messy. The cards were crooked, propped up by cable. I told Millennia about it, they didn’t seem to care. Then those units stopped working. I asked to have them rebuilt since there seemed to be a growing trend of problems. Even the owner made time to visit and apologize. That left one working HV-3D that had been built at a different time. While I was on leave about 6 months later it stopped working, and was shipped back to discover it was a bug in their Dante implementation and may have been as simple as a firmware update. At that point we returned all 3 of the HV-3D (two never made it back out of the box anyways), the lab kept their AES unit, and we kept the remote unit since it was only an upgrade.

I think when 5 of 5 units failed within the first year it warrants a return. For you die-hard fans, I personally owned a Millennia so there’s some weight behind this. I think their old gear is great, but the new gear is simply not what it used to be.”

I no longer think that my experience is a fluke, but I’d like to ask around and see what everyone else has to say. Is Millennia a well-built, high-quality piece of equipment, or does it have a failure rate higher than Behringer?
Never a problem with my HV3C after about 3 years.
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1012 View Post
Never a problem with my HV3C after about 3 years.
I had two HV-3D for about 5 years and they always worked perfectly without any technical problems also for live recordings in difficult environments.

For remote preamps also take a look at the Gordon Model 5.
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

I bought a Millennia HV32P a little over a year ago and it has been completely reliable. I have used it with a battery power supply that I made and with the line lump supply. Removed the top cover to check build quality and it looks very well built and very neat layout. SOS magazine has photo if you want to see inside. The pots were accurate to .1db at minimum and max volume. Only complaint would be the XLR connectors, sometimes hard to remove cables, have to wiggle them out. They want to make profits but Neutrik would be a better choice. Just raise the price by 5 or 10 bucks! However, the sound quality is outstanding, very happy with that. Compared it to several high end pre's and if you want neutral, you can't beat it.
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

I used to own 2 of the STT-1 channels - they were rock solid for 10 years and we're constantly being moved around for mobile recording jobs - I was quite mean to them in transport and they still never let me down.
Old 24th July 2016
Baz
Lives for gear

I agree with the above. Never had issues with the Mil-Media stuff I used.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

After half a year of very slight use, my HV-3D, 8 channel, began to smoke. I sent it to Thomann, where I had bought it and got it repaired free of charge.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear
I have a STT-1 that's about 14 years old!

It's still rock solid.

My only gripe is that the silk screen printing has become unstable on is literally sliding off if your even lightly touch it!

I got a quote from Millennia for a new front panel costing $200.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I have a STT-1 that's about 14 years old!

It's still rock solid.

My only gripe is that the silk screen printing has become unstable on is literally sliding off if your even lightly touch it!

I got a quote from Millennia for a new front panel costing $200.
Funny! When I received my HV-3D I founded in the cardboard box a spare front panel. I’ll keep it just in case.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
Funny! When I received my HV-3D I founded in the cardboard box a spare front panel. I’ll keep it just in case.
I definately would!

They're great units though - seriously high quality signal path.
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

My 10 year old HV-3D is working great, no silkscreen rubbing off or anything like that. I used to take it on remote recordings and it got bumped around a bit, no problems.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

I have a 10 year old HV3D, a channel about 5 years ago failed and they replaced it free. But I think now channel 8 is starting to go on me now. Not sure why with this type of design it would fail. But equipment can fail over time and sometimes it can be a faulty part that goes over time. Everything decays but we hope it would last longer than we think. Gotta fix my Juno 106 and Juno 60 too !! Surprising my behringer eurodesk from around 97 still works well. Some faders are getting dirty and scratchy though but no failures. I keep it around as a giant monitor board

Saying all that I am still pleased with my Millenia , but sounds like you def got a bad batch which will hopefully ramp up their QC
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Eight yeats ago, I got two HV-3D 8 channel units, one with DC option, two SST1 Origin, and also two Avalon SP737 channel strips and two AMEK DCML.
A year later one Origin stopped working. It got send back to US from Greece on warranty.
A few months ago from one HV-3D, the one without the option, channel 4 started to stop send fantom power . A quick off and on brings the channel back. It may do this 3 to 4 times until 30 to 60 minutes have passed and then it stays on. A couple of months ago channel 6 also started to cut off one or two times.
My Avalon and AMEK never had a problem. All units never left the studio.
Old 28th July 2016
I have an HV3D... had it for about 10 years now. In the past couple of years we've been having some problems with it... sent it to the factory and got it repaired each time.

Overall the build quality is good. Everything electronic will eventually break down.

Your other option is the Grace 801m. Those are also great, but I've had problems with grace products in the past... mostly small issues like the LCD screens stop working correctly after a couple years and you need to get them replaced... stuff like that. But they sound great and function great as well.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear

I've had a couple pieces of Millennia tube gear for several years and have looked inside both. Build quality is excellent. They really don't cheap-out on parts. Haven't had any build quality problems.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear

15 year old HV3D here. No issues so far.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Update on this thread, 2 more of my channels are not working on top of the original one that stopped which was fixed. Saying that the unit is over 10 years old and components can wear out due to the law of entropy. Sounds quality is excellent for a clean preamp. I am curious if there was a bad batch of caps or electronics that are effecting some of our units.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search