The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 1039A vs 1035A vs 1035B?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Genelec 1039A vs 1035A vs 1035B?

What is your opinion about those speakers for large control room ( for a recording studio making all type of music ) ?

I know the 1035A are not made anymore, replaced by the 1035B which are quite expensive new, as unless i make a mistake , they seem to be twice the price of the 1039A and i don't know what was the price for 1035A speakers .

It seems the difference is at least that the 1039A have only one midrange speaker vs 2 for the 1035's but i'd be curious to have people opinion about them !

I have thought of some Dynaudio or ATC as well but Dynaudio M3Ve/ XE don't seem easy to buy second hand and the ATC are quite expensive new compared to the Genelec 1039A ( that can be seen for sale more easily second hand) .
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

The 1035B is a much larger speaker than the 1039A (nearly twice the size.) It also puts out 5-6 dB more in level (which is a massive difference in power handling at the extreme range.) People usually won't cross-shop these models since they are meant for different sized control rooms.

Do you do film work? That's pretty much the only reason to look at 1035B speakers -- post production (and the size of those Dolby-sized rooms which far exceed almost any other control room.)

The Dynaudios you mention are 1/2 the size of the 1039A.

The largest ATC (non-custom) is the ATC SCM300ASL and it's near the size of the 1039A (not even close to the size of the 1035B.)

In essence, you need to figure out what you want to accomplish and the size of your room (in volume too) because you're all over the place. You may look at the driver compliment or the price and think these speakers are direct competitors but they really, really aren't.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your answer.
I had not seen at first that the 1035B was much powerful (nearly twice the wattage if i remember correctly ) than the 1039a , so chances are i don't need that much power as it would be for a recording studio for music , about let's say 40 m2.
So i suppose 1039A should be enough then.
I was looking at the nice ones i would be able to find for a correct price , so buying them second hand would be a better option.
I was looking at the ATC as they seem to be good speakers but they are very expensive and i am not sure there are many large studio monitors like that available second hand ( neither for the Dynaudio it seems ) .
I have been told that the1039A could be a good option by a well known studio designer and that is what i was looking for at first in my price range but i am studying all the different options.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I see the ATC scm 150 asl are about the same price as the Genelec 1039a new but i don't really know what is the power difference as Genelec specifies short term power only for their 1039a but i don't know if ATC specifies continuous or short term power .
I don't need a huge power as i prefer a good sound to a huge power but i would need something that is powerful enough for the size of the room and to do not push them too much to have some headroom .
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Genelec 1039A is 120dB SPL at 1m continuous. It is strictly a soffit mounted system.
ATC SCM150ASL Pro is 117dB SPL at 1m continuous freestanding. It can be both soffit mounted or freestanding.

Almost always, the limiting factor for going louder is the low-end (because it takes more power to get the perceived loudness in those frequencies.) To go louder you need to generally add subwoofers. Soffit mounting or free-standing makes a big difference in efficiency (especially for the low-end where something like the SCM150 can get a bump of >3-6dB in those frequencies.) The 1039A is already measured as a soffit mounted system because that's what it is intended to be.

Area measurements are useless. Volume matters (the height of the room is important) because speakers radiate either spherically (freestanding) or hemi-spherically (soffit mounted.) Area measurements are also useless because what matters is the actual dimensions of length and width, the position of the speaker, and the listening distance. SPL drops according to the inverse square law: a doubling of the distance, halves the loudness so SPL drops by 6 dB. For instance, for the 1039A, 1m = 120dB, 2m = 114dB, 4m = 108dB, 8m = 102dB, etc. If you know how far you are listening from the speaker, you can calculate the max loudness.

As for "quality" of the sound -- that's a personal preference and if you are spending this kind of money, you should actually hear the speakers. Buying blind (or deaf in this case) is stupid. They're both professional companies that have great products but the character of their sound differs. And quite frankly, when you are looking at large speakers and soffit mounting, you should call the company and talk to the engineers. They can give you a more exact idea of what you will need to get what you want out of a speaker system for the room you are installing.

Last edited by pentagon; 16th July 2016 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Wonder if Genelec still service those older speakers? What did they say about replacement parts?
Old 17th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Genelec 1039A is 120dB SPL at 1m continuous. It is strictly a soffit mounted system.
ATC SCM150ASL Pro is 117dB SPL at 1m continuous freestanding. It can be both soffit mounted or freestanding.

Almost always, the limiting factor for going louder is the low-end (because it takes more power to get the perceived loudness in those frequencies.) To go louder you need to generally add subwoofers. Soffit mounting or free-standing makes a big difference in efficiency (especially for the low-end where something like the SCM150 can get a bump of >3-6dB in those frequencies.) The 1039A is already measured as a soffit mounted system because that's what it is intended to be.

Area measurements are useless. Volume matters (the height of the room is important) because speakers radiate either spherically (freestanding) or hemi-spherically (soffit mounted.) Area measurements are also useless because what matters is the actual dimensions of length and width, the position of the speaker, and the listening distance. SPL drops according to the inverse square law: a doubling of the distance, halves the loudness so SPL drops by 6 dB. For instance, for the 1039A, 1m = 120dB, 2m = 114dB, 4m = 108dB, 8m = 102dB, etc. If you know how far you are listening from the speaker, you can calculate the max loudness.

As for "quality" of the sound -- that's a personal preference and if you are spending this kind of money, you should actually hear the speakers. Buying blind (or deaf in this case) is stupid. They're both professional companies that have great products but the character of their sound differs. And quite frankly, when you are looking at large speakers and soffit mounting, you should call the company and talk to the engineers. They can give you a more exact idea of what you will need to get what you want out of a speaker system for the room you are installing.
The inverse square law is valid in free space, but in rooms the SPL drop with distance is limited by the room reverberation. The "reverberation radius" is the distance at which direct field and reverberant field are equal and moving further away does not essentially chage the SPL. In typical rooms the reverberation radius is pretty short, maybe 1..2m. Naturally the low frequency modal behavior dominates the response.

Both 1035A/B and 1039A have directivity control waveguides; i.e. they represent practically constant directivty radiation at MF/HF and hence their room response tends to be more uniform than without directivity control. Also the reverberant field balance is similar to the on axis balance, as the off axis radiation (reaching the side walls) has not severe peaks or dips.

And yes, Genelec services all old products starting from 1978. We get old S30s and 1019As from those years to be serviced at the factory and they are returned in the original condition.
Old 18th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your answer.
My problem is that i don't have a big budget to buy new large monitoring speakers, so i try to find some good second hand ones and there are not so many available second hand here compared to the USA i guess.
So , buying used ones doesn't give me the possibility to ask the company to help !
Also, here , there are not really many places where they have different kind pf large monitoring systems installed in a listening room , for people can listen to them !
I am not even sure there is one company here who does have a show room / listening room to hear large monitoring systems like that !
Some have a listening room for near/ mid field monitors but not for large ones !
For the height of the control room i was thinking about 3,5 to 4m high .
I was wondering if having the place built could be a solution but a well known studio accoustic designer told me i should better look for some place already built to make it easier and cheaper ( as i don't have a huge budget for that either unfortunately ) .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search