The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Millennia HV3C And It's Uses
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Millennia HV3C And It's Uses

Anyone used a Millennia HV3C for anything other than acoustic instruments? How does it work for vocals or other applications? It's one of the best acoustic instrument pres on the market. Was just wondering if it worked as well for other things.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1012 View Post
Anyone used a Millennia HV3C for anything other than acoustic instruments? How does it work for vocals or other applications? It's one of the best acoustic instrument pres on the market. Was just wondering if it worked as well for other things.
I used the one in the Origin, which is basically the same, for years also on vocals.
As you would expect clean nice gain for ages.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

I've found that the Mellinias not only capture instruments in a "transparent" way, but they also do the same for very colored mics. In that sense, I like using it when I really want the character of the mic to shine through. Say you have a tube mic with a nice grainy high end. The Millenia can really let that shine.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins View Post
I've found that the Mellinias not only capture instruments in a "transparent" way, but they also do the same for very colored mics. In that sense, I like using it when I really want the character of the mic to shine through. Say you have a tube mic with a nice grainy high end. The Millenia can really let that shine.

Bill, I'm using a Manley Gold Reference through an LA 610 for vocals but, thinking the HV3C was primarily for acoustic instruments, I've never tried it with vocals or with the Manley. I use the Millennia HV3C with a stereo pair of sE Electronics RN17s or, one RN17 and one Royer R-122 in a M/S configuration. I've simply not taken the time to try the Millennia for a vocal pre. I've only used it for acoustic instruments, primarily guitar. I'm starting to consider a 1073 to add a little more versatility to my home studio. Or, maybe a 1073 plugin?
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

The Millennia HV-3C is my favorite mic pre for ADR/VO dialogue recording and foley recording - its super quiet and has tons of headroom and is one of the most important tools I use for that!

-Mike
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins View Post
I have also found the Millenia pre's stellar on vocal duty with mics that require a lot of gain to hit the sweet spot, like ribbons, etc... for the same reason.

I miss mine now. Darn expensive hospital bills.
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
I have also found the Millenia pre's stellar on vocal duty with mics that require a lot of gain to hit the sweet spot, like ribbons, etc... for the same reason.

I miss mine now. Darn expensive hospital bills.

It's funny you should mention that. I've been giving thought to trying my Royer R-122 with the Millennia HV-3C. Intuitively makes sense anyway.
Old 20th July 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

One great use for the HV-3 preamp, is auditioning microphones to get a real sense of how they actually sound. More colored preamps are not a good indicator to audition mics, unless you're just looking for the right mic with a particular colored preamp.

The HV-3 has been one of the most used preamps at trade shows for microphone manufacturers for years. When we were testing 200+ mics for The Listening Sessions, every mic first went through an HV-3.

Another good use for the HV-3 is to get a good idea about the acoustics in your room/s, and how they sound. The HV-3 is a high-resolution and fast preamp, so it's going to capture much more detail than the slower, colored preamps.

One of the reasons the HV-3 is so popular for recording acoustic instruments, is because it also records and shows the resolution of the acoustics in the spaces where the instruments are recorded. Music like bluegrass, legit, acoustic jazz, etc. is more "real" music recorded in "real" spaces. Rock, hip-hop, pop, etc., on other hand, is often made and created in "artificial" and acoustically-deader spaces.

The "energy" and imagery on a rock record is often coming from the manipulation of electronics. The energy and imagery on bluegrass and acoustic music recorded with a preamp like the HV-3 is coming more from the instrument and the acoustics in the room.
Old 21st July 2016
Gear Addict

A big hype about this preamp IMHO.
I had a 2 and 4 channel version before we began doing shootouts.
Get the Earthworks ZDT instead - all the good things
about the Millennia but with a superiour bassresponse.
Or a Forssell SMP2.

So many classic recordings could have been even better...

Last edited by ABBA; 21st July 2016 at 12:55 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search