The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone give me some audio examples of a Lex 300L?
Old 13th July 2016
Deleted be25781
Can anyone give me some audio examples of a Lex 300L?

I can't find samples, let alone youtube clips. Do you know any songs with only a 300L as reverb? Preferably hall settings. Would mean a lot! Thanks.
Old 13th July 2016
Should be pretty much the same as a 480L since the 300 is half a 480. Same algos, slightly different converters, pretty much the same sound.
Old 13th July 2016
Deleted be25781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmerised View Post
Should be pretty much the same as a 480L since the 300 is half a 480. Same algos, slightly different converters, pretty much the same sound.
You sure? I know it's half, but still.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope!

A 480/L with Software Version 4.1 is actually
1 & 1/2 X Lexicons M/L300 3.5 Software unit.

The 480/L never had the Algorithims that the M/L300 had until they were ported over in version 4.x Software. Any 480/L under software version 3.00x has Reverb and Ambience, (Really just two Reverb Algos with many differing presets or registers etc,) though not the 300 Ambience Algo that was upgrades via a near convolving type pin point Algo!

480/L Convertors are 18 bits of hot wet mess, while the M/L300 is 20 bit AD/DA Delta Sigma processing and AES, SPDIF and Toslink digital outputs and inputs while on that subject the AD-20/20 and LFI-10 came out of the 300 development.

This was to enable the 480/L to hook up its DB9 PCM 1630 SDIF connectors to a simpler and easier idea then Lemtech Board or Hard AES as the clocking jitter couldn't hold. Finally came the LR4 Framelink in the Mid 1990's to hook up the (Then often forgotten and numerous Studio Larc Units cleanly as seperate Larc Units slowed processor speed) Lexicon 224/XL, the 480/L and 300/L with out the requirement for 3 seperate Larcs, or at least to enable Larc Control of cascaded Units. The M/L300 Fully upgraded is actually faster per instance and with Main Algorithms by close to 30% then a 480/L. More so a unit under software version 3.x Control.

Lexicon created the M300 as a unit for film and Post production, the first software revision gave basically three Algos, Reverb, Ambience, Pitch Shift, (480/L Algos) though these units sold and sold much more quickly then the Lexicon 1 HSP Board Half Priced 480/L Model. After some very clever tweaking new Algorthmic designs were tried and embraced by version 2.x Gal chips in the 300 series and soon (18 months plus) Lexicon released the L/300 which came with Larc, Algo improvements and version 3.5/L GAL chip alongside new memory upgrades, pitch shifting upgrades and various daughter board add ons. This proved interesting as the 480/L was the Flag Ship product, though being seriously undercut by the M/L300 series. This unit offered huge options.

5 Single Reveb Algorthims (All Differing Designs)
SMPTE Time Code Reading
Midi Time Code Reading
AES -3 20 bit clocking, Signal and Sync
Analog Input & Output
Toslink (For Dat Transfer)
SPDIF for non AES Transfer
Main, Split and Cascade Modes
Analog + Difital Input/Output
All input/Output working at once

Basically the M/L300 could Input and Output 8 Signals at a time or 4 Pairs, this left the 480/L seemingly like a less attractive option. As the 480/L had relied upon being able to use two engines through its Aux Network slowly 300 Algos, the PrimeTime Algos and HD/Surround Sound Programs were released with upgraded version 4.x Software and 4.1.

This not only left a classic piece of Lexicon's finest work near trashed as a "Reverb Unit" in history though stole the name Prime Time 4 (The PCM-80 was being evolved into a very interesting competitive unit to be as Routable as well as cost effective (well in 1996) as an Eventide H3000/4000 and though it's natural succession name should've been the Prime Time 4 this was not to be as it was THAT name to be bestowed hence given to the 480/L upgraded PC Junior Cart with the 4.1 Upgrade Kit for the 480/L.

The PCM-80 it became!

To this day I still think people associate the PCM 60, 70 and 80/81 and 90,91 as Reverb units though unfortunately, the Master FX Unit with Lexichip for Reverb and Motorola 5602(?) processor ended up being named a Bad Reverb? No matter how history is told, only the designers and true users understand the Lexicon PCM-80 is more like a Huge Routable Effects type Synthesizer with stunning Reverb, then a dedicated Reverb generator with simply Stunning Effects. The guys whom created the PCM 80 and nursed it to the PCM-81 to 20 bit hard AES live on this forum!

Sampling fever hit....Thus Lexicon could see the demise of the 480/L SME Sampling Board with the AKAI S950 and 1000/1100 use for Sampling and spinning in and out of FX units was written on the wall with even AES sync via TS inputs it was a crude though effective way of locking two units together - By now Synclavier to AMS and Fairlight were in trouble, and Sampling became King (Something a 480/L Unit as stock could easily do) though now priced so highly not even AMS and their proprietary RAM Boards made economic sense let alone a TC2290 at 30 seconds plus!

Though again, the Lexicon M/L300 was designed for solid Reverberation and Effects and to this day it's still a Digital modular unit where boards can be dropped in and replaced unlike HSP boards in the 480/L that required expensive planning and resourcing for upgrade paths. Indeed History will be kind to most products mentioned here, though Lexicon held that "Sounds Expensive" unnatural type reverb flavour only Lexicon designs could recreate. So.....can you hear the M/L300.

Yes, pick a CD and most likely, it's all over it! Apologies for the quick iPad post!
Regards
TLB.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

I just so happened to use a 300L today. I've never compared them directly, because the studios I work at that have 480s don't have the 300. There are some familiar presets on the 300L. I use "Rich plate" a lot and the "church" preset. There's a cool one called "Heavy Ambience" that I've not seen on the 480s I've used. Also the 480's can run 2 presets and have 4 outputs. The 300L I believe has only stereo out (at least thats all I see on the PB).
Old 14th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Nope! ....
I stand corrected by the master!

Thank you again for the precise info. I had thought them to be much alike since my (later model) M300 to my ears pretty much sounds like the 480s I have worked with.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I stand corrected by the master!

Thank you again for the precise info. I had thought them to be much alike since my (later model) M300 to my ears pretty much sounds like the 480s I have worked with.
No problem, yes they can indeed sound close, others swear not so, though geez, I don't think I've written an extensive Lexicon post for years, so it's always good to keep info fresh and new! I'd actually venture to add the M/L300 had some of the First Mod waveform routings that would.....soon appear in the Prime Time PCM - 80! Serious Fun in their if you dig in, very galactic delays with High end Lexicon Reverb! Shame Lexicon didn't use the "Celetial" Roland type Names for their Units! So if you've got an M/L300 Go find those variable Sine, plus Waveforms and sing with Whales!

Kind Regards
TheLastByte
Old 16th July 2016
Deleted be25781
I appreciate all the technical info guys, but I still don't have any audio examples.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be25781 View Post
I appreciate all the technical info guys, but I still don't have any audio examples.
Here you go. Gobs of long 300 chamber on the VO. And see if you can find the glaring mistake in the VO copy!
Attached Files

simpsons_universe.mp3 (1.37 MB, 546 views)

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 16th July 2016 at 04:56 PM..
Old 17th July 2016
Deleted be25781
Thanks buddy!

More is welcome
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Nope!

A 480/L with Software Version 4.1 is actually
1 & 1/2 X Lexicons M/L300 3.5 Software unit.

The 480/L never had the Algorithims that the M/L300 had until they were ported over in version 4.x Software. Any 480/L under software version 3.00x has Reverb and Ambience, (Really just two Reverb Algos with many differing presets or registers etc,) though not the 300 Ambience Algo that was upgrades via a near convolving type pin point Algo!

480/L Convertors are 18 bits of hot wet mess, while the M/L300 is 20 bit AD/DA Delta Sigma processing and AES, SPDIF and Toslink digital outputs and inputs while on that subject the AD-20/20 and LFI-10 came out of the 300 development.

This was to enable the 480/L to hook up its DB9 PCM 1630 SDIF connectors to a simpler and easier idea then Lemtech Board or Hard AES as the clocking jitter couldn't hold. Finally came the LR4 Framelink in the Mid 1990's to hook up the (Then often forgotten and numerous Studio Larc Units cleanly as seperate Larc Units slowed processor speed) Lexicon 224/XL, the 480/L and 300/L with out the requirement for 3 seperate Larcs, or at least to enable Larc Control of cascaded Units. The M/L300 Fully upgraded is actually faster per instance and with Main Algorithms by close to 30% then a 480/L. More so a unit under software version 3.x Control.

Lexicon created the M300 as a unit for film and Post production, the first software revision gave basically three Algos, Reverb, Ambience, Pitch Shift, (480/L Algos) though these units sold and sold much more quickly then the Lexicon 1 HSP Board Half Priced 480/L Model. After some very clever tweaking new Algorthmic designs were tried and embraced by version 2.x Gal chips in the 300 series and soon (18 months plus) Lexicon released the L/300 which came with Larc, Algo improvements and version 3.5/L GAL chip alongside new memory upgrades, pitch shifting upgrades and various daughter board add ons. This proved interesting as the 480/L was the Flag Ship product, though being seriously undercut by the M/L300 series. This unit offered huge options.

5 Single Reveb Algorthims (All Differing Designs)
SMPTE Time Code Reading
Midi Time Code Reading
AES -3 20 bit clocking, Signal and Sync
Analog Input & Output
Toslink (For Dat Transfer)
SPDIF for non AES Transfer
Main, Split and Cascade Modes
Analog + Difital Input/Output
All input/Output working at once

Basically the M/L300 could Input and Output 8 Signals at a time or 4 Pairs, this left the 480/L seemingly like a less attractive option. As the 480/L had relied upon being able to use two engines through its Aux Network slowly 300 Algos, the PrimeTime Algos and HD/Surround Sound Programs were released with upgraded version 4.x Software and 4.1.

This not only left a classic piece of Lexicon's finest work near trashed as a "Reverb Unit" in history though stole the name Prime Time 4 (The PCM-80 was being evolved into a very interesting competitive unit to be as Routable as well as cost effective (well in 1996) as an Eventide H3000/4000 and though it's natural succession name should've been the Prime Time 4 this was not to be as it was THAT name to be bestowed hence given to the 480/L upgraded PC Junior Cart with the 4.1 Upgrade Kit for the 480/L.

The PCM-80 it became!

To this day I still think people associate the PCM 60, 70 and 80/81 and 90,91 as Reverb units though unfortunately, the Master FX Unit with Lexichip for Reverb and Motorola 5602(?) processor ended up being named a Bad Reverb? No matter how history is told, only the designers and true users understand the Lexicon PCM-80 is more like a Huge Routable Effects type Synthesizer with stunning Reverb, then a dedicated Reverb generator with simply Stunning Effects. The guys whom created the PCM 80 and nursed it to the PCM-81 to 20 bit hard AES live on this forum!

Sampling fever hit....Thus Lexicon could see the demise of the 480/L SME Sampling Board with the AKAI S950 and 1000/1100 use for Sampling and spinning in and out of FX units was written on the wall with even AES sync via TS inputs it was a crude though effective way of locking two units together - By now Synclavier to AMS and Fairlight were in trouble, and Sampling became King (Something a 480/L Unit as stock could easily do) though now priced so highly not even AMS and their proprietary RAM Boards made economic sense let alone a TC2290 at 30 seconds plus!

Though again, the Lexicon M/L300 was designed for solid Reverberation and Effects and to this day it's still a Digital modular unit where boards can be dropped in and replaced unlike HSP boards in the 480/L that required expensive planning and resourcing for upgrade paths. Indeed History will be kind to most products mentioned here, though Lexicon held that "Sounds Expensive" unnatural type reverb flavour only Lexicon designs could recreate. So.....can you hear the M/L300.

Yes, pick a CD and most likely, it's all over it! Apologies for the quick iPad post!
Regards
TLB.

I shut my mouth up !

And Lex 300 remains excellent and highly competent piece of gear (a pair actually) in my rack.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search