The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U87 Issue or Anomaly? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

Neumann U87 Issue or Anomaly?

So tonight I put up a U87 (ai) for a very dynamic vocalist and it just didn't seem to sound quite right. It seemed to have lower output than normal through my consoles pre amps (Neve RL1/9098) and seemed to distort quite easily. I also noticed the input gain meter seemed to be sort of low when talking into it but would seem to spike up not quite peaking but just about on the louder passages.

I ended up throwing up a TLM 49 (which actually worked killer on the vocalist) to get through the session. Later I switched channels on the board and cables and bypassed all of the studios patch bays, tie lines etc and went directly into the back of the console. Now the mic seemed OK but the bottom end when in cardioid seemed a bit weak. Then I switched to figure 8 and the back side sounded awesome, just like it should but so did the front....I switched back to cardioid and it seemed like the mic was just lacking on the bottom end.

Has anyone every experienced this? the diaphragms should sound the same when they are in figure 8 and they do. In omni the sound is good all around but seems light on the low end. In cardiod. the front of the mic just seems to be lacking..

Any input is appreciated.
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Addict

Sounds like a dirty capsule -> It should be quite searchable. either requires cleaning or replacement - a cleaning is usually in the region of 200usd and a replacement is much more...

If you're in a pinch you can flip the capsule and use it in cardoid but it's not ideal.
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Addict

a quick verification can be achieved by doing the breath test.

Power up the mic and breath on the capsule as if you were fogging a mirror. If the mic goes dead/starts dropping out /crackling/rumbling/loses bottom end and it lasts for more than a second or two - you've got a dirty capsule
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
a quick verification can be achieved by doing the breath test.

Power up the mic and breath on the capsule as if you were fogging a mirror. If the mic goes dead/starts dropping out /crackling/rumbling/loses bottom end and it lasts for more than a second or two - you've got a dirty capsule
This was the very first thing I did. No crackle or dropping out that is why I thought it was strange. Trying to decide if I need to send it off to Dave Brown or just deal with it. My other 87 is out on loan so I can't do a side by side comparison for a few weeks. I have some other nice mics but this strange anomaly was throwing me.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search