The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lachapell 992eg / A designs MP2a sonic comparisons? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Addict

Lachapell 992eg / A designs MP2a sonic comparisons?

I have lots of experience with the LaChapell 992eg and I really dig it on overheads and vocals. I've never heard the MP2A but I have a chance to get one for a really good price right now. Anyone have enough experience with both units to give me an idea how these two compare? My main uses will be overheads, vocals, and acoustics. Thanks!
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Head

Hi JS...I cannot provide any sonic comparison betwixt the 2 preamps...but if you can get a MP2A at a great price, grab it and rejoice. I have 2 MP2A's. You will NOT be disappointed.
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Addict

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Everything I have read about the MP2A has been very positive. It's weird that's it's not talked about more around here especially with all the praise the rest of the A Designs stuff gets.
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Head

I am laughing . . . it has been buried with all the preamp raves from years ago. It earned its place among the top shelf preamps and now it simply speaks for itself. You'll see.
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Addict

I would still love to hear from anyone who has experience with both. The LaChapell has a really sweet kind of hifi thing going on and I'm hoping to get something very similar from the MP2a
Old 7th July 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

JSRogers, I've used and owned both. The 992 has true input gain and output, so that you can "drive" the sound. The "level" on the MP is really attenuation. Sonically, you can get more tonal variation and color with the 992.

I agree that the strengths of the 992 are more in what it does to the upper range of frequencies. It really is a kind of magic air, and you can really dial in what you want.

The real strength of the MP to me is in the lower frequencies. The MP has that old school gluey sound in the lows and low mids.

IMO, they are very different preamps. If you're wanting more 992 sound, get another 992. If you want something that complements the 992, the MP does that well.

But they are close on the clean/color scale. http://www.prostudioreviews.com/mic-preamp-graph.html

A Designs Audio MP-2A, MP-2, MP-1 MP1 Tube Mic Pre/DI Review

LaChapell 992 Dual Mono Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Review by Dan Richards

Hope that helps. Or shoot, if you have any questions.
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Addict

Dan! That was a huge help. Thanks so much. I pretty much agree with everything you said about the 992. I think I may go ahead and buy the MP2A and save up to buy a LaChapell later on.
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Head

Dan . . . thank you for sharing your observations with JS and myself. With your input, purchasing a 992 (or 2) would really compliment my MP2A's. I have had my ears set on a 992 for a couple of years now...maybe it's time.

Brent

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search