The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C37A-noise floor. is it ok or needs service? Condenser Microphones
Old 1st July 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Sony C37A-noise floor. is it ok or needs service?

I have this mic since a year, has original power supply, tried different tubes, different preamps similar results. in this example i am using heritage audio 1073 and gain is around 60dB.

wondering if its the way this mic is or mine has higher noise floor - his than it should and i should get it repaired...

Old 1st July 2016
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleJungle View Post
I have this mic since a year, has original power supply, tried different tubes, different preamps similar results. in this example i am using heritage audio 1073 and gain is around 60dB.

wondering if its the way this mic is or mine has higher noise floor - his than it should and i should get it repaired...

I think it needs looking at. I use one regularly whilst, not the quietest of Mics compared to say a modern valve like a Schoeps M222, that seems unuasable to me.

I have never found the C37a unusable :-)

Remember these Mics and U67s etc have made some of the greatest recordings ever made along with Neve Pres so that is not right.
Old 1st July 2016
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
I think it needs looking at. I use one regularly whilst, not the quietest of Mics compared to say a modern valve like a Schoeps M222, that seems unuasable to me.

I have never found the C37a unusable :-)

Remember these Mics and U67s etc have made some of the greatest recordings ever made along with Neve Pres so that is not right.

:( any ideas who could check it in california-bay area?
Old 1st July 2016
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleJungle View Post
:( any ideas who could check it in california-bay area?
Sadly not I'm based in the UK and over here would recommend Dave Way at Funky Junk/Boffin Island.

I'm sure your USA brethren will chime in woth a good suggestion or two ;-)
Old 2nd July 2016
  #5
Gear Addict
Micrehab in Nashville
Shannon is a freakin wizard he is Blackbirds studio only vintage mic repair guy give him a call or email
I'm not affiliated but have work done by him
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump