The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me decide (2) Neve 2254r or (2) BAE 10DC Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Nut

Help me decide (2) Neve 2254r or (2) BAE 10DC

I'm either getting (2) Neve 2254r or (2) BAE 10DC Limiters/Comps, the BAE would cost less so I'm keeping that in mind too. I wanna get fellow slutz their opinions!, Thanks!
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Maniac
What will you use them for? I dig the 10DC on mix buss and for tracking. Haven't tried a hardware 2254, but infer it is mo better for tracking than buss. too much flavor? 2264/33609 more of the buss fave. interested to hear about real experiences from hardware humans.
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Nut

I'd use them for drum buss, maybe vocal, bass, even stereo buss depending on what I'm working on. I have (2) Distressors, (2) UA 1176, LA-2A, and an Alan Smart C1 and a few other misc comps, just wanted something different then those.
Old 1st July 2016
I would go with the 2254 or AML 54f50.
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Nut

I just looked into the AML 54F50, pretty sweet! I wonder if it's better then the Neve 2254r...I like that the Neve 2254r are racked and not 500 series
Old 1st July 2016
i saving up for a pair of 54f50's right now, and the waiting is killing me. I don't think you could go wrong either way, AML or Neve. AML is cheaper and has great reviews.
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul1981 View Post
i saving up for a pair of 54f50's right now, and the waiting is killing me. I don't think you could go wrong either way, AML or Neve. AML is cheaper and has great reviews.
Ya me too!!! still may go with the Neve 2254r though, its a toss up
Old 1st July 2016
i've been hearing that the AML is very very close to the real deal OG Neve 2254's, while the DC10 is more of it's own thing and similar to the 33609.
So it's not as thick or weighty as the 2254. I have no experience with the AMS Neve 2254r.
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Nut

ya I want thick and weighty
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Addict

AML have a 1u rack version if you preffer it to the 500.
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Addict

Neve vs guys who worked for Neve

The 2254r and the 33609 are comps with magical electrical properties. The BAE is probably a decent compressor but...it isn't a neve. Don't get me wrong,I have several compressors that I love without the NEVE name badge on them. My LA4a;s, Meek Sc2, DCL200 and 525's just to name a few. I was taught by an old school engineer, If you look at the signal path you can discern the quality.

I am not saying that neve is always better...I am just saying that Neve is probably always better...
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Maniac

They're just circuits. The new Neves don't have Marinairs so they don't sound exactly like the old ones either.

They all sound good.

For drum bus and vocals I'd probably get AML (which is just as much a 2254 in essence as the 2254R), for mixbus 10DCF (the one with highpass option), maybe the new 33609N if better than JD or two Heritage 2264s. The 500 series AML has slow attack option, which makes it more flexible than rack version. The 500 series Heritage has highpass.

As stated in other thread, 10DC is 33609 derived with class A amp. Comparing any 33609/2264 design which is supposed to be leaner and more hifi to a 2254 design is a bit silly. 2254 is thicker and darker, different circuit.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Nut

I don't understand why there isnt't more talk about the Neve 2254r on the web?
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschigel View Post
ya I want thick and weighty
sold the 10DC's because they didn't have the thick meaty neve thing.
I was expecting it but in the end it wasn't really what I thought it would be.
[just changed the labeling on my patchbay from a year ago lol].
if you want the 2254 vibe the AML's are closer in that direction.
I haven't heard the class A output Heritage vertical 2264 units , I wouldn't mind demoing a pair
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search