The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Burl B2 Bomber DAC? Digital Converters
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Nut

Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Burl B2 Bomber DAC?

Just wondering if anyone has done direct comparisons, or worked with both these units? Any opinions?
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Head

For what application?

For monitoring, I'd go with the Benchmark from these two options.

For feeding the analog chain in a mastering setup, the Burl is a beautiful option to have, although not the right one for every job. But it is to colourful to use as a monitoring DAC.

Now, on that price point there are other DACs that may be better options for you depending on your situation. I suggest a quick search on the forums and you'll find a lot of information in a number of threads comparing these DACs you mentioned and many more.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Nut

Primarily for monitoring, yeah.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Head

Well, then I definitely suggest you check out those threads. This topic has been deeply discussed, especially over at the Mastering forum.

My two cents on the Benchmark: it's a very good DAC, and very portable as well. If you're also looking for something that you can just put in your backpack with your laptop and move around, I'd take a listen to it. Other options in this range would be the Black Lion Sparrow DAC and the Mytek 192DSD-DAC.

Now, if you're looking for a DAC that will just live on your rack, the options become greater. I use an Antelope Eclipse every day and love its sound. But it might be more than what you're looking for. The new Pure2 from Antelope is a phenomenal option. There's also the Lynx Hilo, the new Dangerous Convert2...the list is rather endless.

The best thing for you to do is get them and listen for yourself to figure out what works best for you.
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelks View Post
Well, then I definitely suggest you check out those threads. This topic has been deeply discussed, especially over at the Mastering forum.

My two cents on the Benchmark: it's a very good DAC, and very portable as well. If you're also looking for something that you can just put in your backpack with your laptop and move around, I'd take a listen to it. Other options in this range would be the Black Lion Sparrow DAC and the Mytek 192DSD-DAC.

Now, if you're looking for a DAC that will just live on your rack, the options become greater. I use an Antelope Eclipse every day and love its sound. But it might be more than what you're looking for. The new Pure2 from Antelope is a phenomenal option. There's also the Lynx Hilo, the new Dangerous Convert2...the list is rather endless.

The best thing for you to do is get them and listen for yourself to figure out what works best for you.
The unit will live in my rack and not be required as a portable unit. Unfortunately, options are somewhat limited in my ability to listen to a variety of DAC's in person due to local availability. The Antelope gear you mention looks great and the Pure2 could work with its added flexibility to both monitor and feed the analog chain. When you mention you feel the Burl Dac is too colourful for monitoring, its my understanding this unit does not use transformers like most other Burl gear and thus should in theory be more transparent?
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Head

I know the feeling of not being able to get a demo unit...where are you located?

Regarding the Burl DAC, there was one in the Mastering studio I used to work at. It is a beautiful sounding unit, but it has colour. A great tool to have as an option for feeding the analog chain. Sounds amazing on pretty much anything, the low end blooms, low mids are spectacular, the top end is smooth and pleasing, the width, depth, weight...we had a couple of converter options to choose from, depending on what was needed for a particular job. But no, it's not a reference monitoring DAC.

A monitoring DAC should not impart a colour, for critical listening purposes. It should give you the most accurate representation of the material possible. From that point, it really does come down to your taste and if the tool you choose allows you to make informed decisions and be able to achieve your desired results consistently.
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

Throwing another one in the ring, the Mytek Brooklyn. Its absurdly detailed.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search