The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brexit and what it means to Gearslutz Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th June 2016
It rubbed salt in the wounds.
Old 27th June 2016
afa
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
US import duties are around 5% (it's really dependent on the goods and quantity and from which country you're bringing in the goods but for the UK and >$1000, it's approx this.) Then you add your local tax (but that's true of anything.) In Los Angeles, that's 9% but for those of us who work in post-production music, it's 3.75% currently for music gear. So grand total tax is 8.75% for importing in UK gear to the US.

If each item brought in is <$1000, it can be far less than 5% at the federal level (you use the "use tax" import fees which makes it <3% tax.)

Far cry from VAT tax levels.
I wish... In Spain it's VAT (currently 21%) + 5% import + fixed amount for customs brokerage.
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
This is the £/$ over the last 3-months:-

There are some forecasts predicting £/$ parity by the end of 2016, which would be a first.

As far as the effect on GS members, at least for us Yanks here on the other side of the pond, this is good news if you're considering British audio gear - a pair of Aml 54f50s as well as some choice Thermionic Culture units are looking better than ever. Maybe the right time as well to partake in some Chicken Tikka Masala in London, and down some pints for sure.

Though saddened for all the British brethren who'll have to endure this utterly unnecessary, frustrating, unfair and perplexing situation...
Old 27th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
What about sport? Can we talk about sport?

Brexit 2.0!
Yes. But that was not Brexit. That was Exit. #stillscottish
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
doubt it. London is the problem, not Brussels. this referendum was all about scapegoating and xenophobia. biggest political flop ever. i'm not hanging around this backwater if they get Boris as pm. i'm making my own brexit.
Agreed.

I know of several English people now looking to leave the country.

There are hundreds of Brits who have an Irish parent applying for an Irish passport because they don't want to lose their EU citizenship.
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Maybe the right time as well to partake in some Chicken Tikka Masala in London, and down some pints for sure.
Kennington Tandoori

------------ Tear Off Here if stepping over the political line ------------

Also John Prescott's fav diner. Never met him but I'm guessing he likes his food

Last edited by Lumbergh; 27th June 2016 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: autocorrect turned Kennington into Kensington - what a snob!
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Iceland 2 England 1
Iceland's fans were absolutely fantastic. They had this Viking war chant going on all match, the English mob were totally cowed into silence. The English deserved everything they didn't get. Bunch of egotistic , work shy, prima donnas, more concerned about their hair-do's than working. Iceland showed what can be achieved by teamwork and hard work. Good on 'em.

Brexit means I will probably buy British audio related goods if the price of German & US goods goes up too much. The folks who voted "Leave" don't give a toss about the UK music industry or the film industry. As far as they are concerned they are just another bunch of self-entitled "luvvies" in the big smoke.

I voted "Remain". I'm as happy that we are out as I would have been if we had remained.

That's 'cos I'm a happy kinda person, just really happy to be alive. I wake up every morning and think, "Damn, this is just so cool!!". Any Brussels bureaucrat or Westminster clown tries to change that and I'll laugh in their dumb lying faces.

ns
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
They had this Viking war chant going on all match, the English mob were totally cowed into silence.
Yes. That thing they do is intimidating. It's like a Viking Haka!
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Maniac

It means nothing so far, mate...

The pound was at about 1,50 at its peak days ago, and around 1,43 last month. Now at 1,36... You're assuming it will keep falling, but it may or may not continue to lose value.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes. That thing they do is intimidating. It's like a Viking Haka!
Oh, yeah, the haka is très cool. The Icelandic thing is so cool because it is fan driven and, as you say, highly intimidating. It never stops. Crying out to be sampled.

ns
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified View Post
It means nothing so far, mate...

The pound was at about 1,50 at its peak days ago, and around 1,43 last month. Now at 1,36... You're assuming it will keep falling, but it may or may not continue to lose value.
It's at 1.33.

There's a lot expectations of short-term stability at around 1.30 but all the banks and investment firms the world over are now expecting it to be down to 1.20s by the end of the year without some central banking intervention. There are zero predictions for a recovery of the pound by the end of the year from anyone.

And the steady decline in the months prior to the vote was the market feeling the uncertainty right before the sharp drop at the vote results. It was not for unknown or unexpected reasons or an unexpected level; nothing was shocking -- all models predicted this.

I put in some quote requests today to UK dealers but part of me knows I'll wait for the pound to fall further.

Last edited by pentagon; 28th June 2016 at 03:54 AM..
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
It's at 1.33.

There's a lot expectations of short-term stability at around 1.30 but all the banks and investment firms the world over are now expecting it to be down to 1.20s by the end of the year without some central banking intervention. There are zero predictions for a recovery of the pound by the end of the year from anyone.

And the steady decline in the months prior to the vote was the market feeling the uncertainty right before the sharp drop at the vote results. It was not for unknown or unexpected reasons or an unexpected level; nothing was shocking -- all models predicted this.

I put in some quote requests today to UK dealers but part me knows I'll wait for the pound to fall further.
True, but Goldman Sachs predicted the Euro at 0,90 two years ago and here we are...

I follow markets and do some trading, although I have not been watching the pound too closely and don't even trade currencies nowadays, I wouldn't assume nothing (meaning it might not fall that much or may even go up). It's up 0,8% at the moment, for instance, to 1,3326...

There is a public petition for another voting, if that happens everything might get reverted in a day. Plus, there's always that saying that markets price everything in before... Anyway, I'm just saying that is not safe to assume it will nosedive, much less take decisions based on this.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Oh, yeah, the haka is très cool. The Icelandic thing is so cool because it is fan driven and, as you say, highly intimidating. It never stops. Crying out to be sampled.
Seeing it earlier in the tournament and during the match today vaguely reminded me of the Haka, but THIS, led by the team, is what put it over the top for me. Impressive.

These guys mean business. Their captain looks like he's straight channeling Odin.

Pity the sports are different, as an All Blacks v. Iceland match would be smashing.

Maori power v. Viking power!
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
These guys mean business. Their captain looks like he's straight channeling Odin.

Pity the sports are different, as an All Blacks v. Iceland match would be smashing.

Maori power v. Viking power!
I'd take the All Blacks in a cage fight though...
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sorry, but I just don't think this is rocket surgery.
Actually, it looks like it is.

Honestly, right now, most of us have no idea what constitutes "politics" or not to you. I'm seeing plenty of ( what seems as) non-political posts being deleted, and many political posts remaining. You just can't expect people to read your mind and understand your own personal interpretation of the word "politics". What gets deleted and what's not just seems completely random.

Now , it seems football is the only safe thing to talk about in this thread...

Honestly, you might as well :

1- Either strictly stick to the "no-politics" policy, and close this thread right now ( and any future ones )
2- Or keep it open for a limited period that would be clearly mentionned ( one, two weeks, whatever..), let people say what they need to say about this whole situation, only delete stuff that gets too heated , then close the thread at the end of the whatever limited period was chosen.

Right now we're navigating in very opaque waters.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry, but I just don't think this is rocket surgery.
It is utter lunacy to believe you can discuss the effects of Brexit on Gearslutz without discussing economics and politics.

Quote:
But if I can keep my politics out of the thread, so can anyone.
The thread is political by its very nature so no you did not keep your politics out of it. Not even close!

Quote:
And if they choose not to, from here on in, they receive infractions.
That is so low. Just delete the thread if you don't want to let people discuss the actual topic.

Alistair
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Guru

just shut it down and stop wasting everyones time imo
Old 28th June 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

... and being threatened with infractions if one doesn't get it right 100% ...
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

Cleveland Cavaliers are the World Champions, and they will play more exhibition games in the UK
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear
With brexit, ATC or PMC will multiply their price by 3
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
That led me to thinking about studio business. Because if UK gear suddenly looks cheaper, then so does making records in UK studios. So are we about to see a resurgence in the UK recording industry? Are we about to become Cool Britannia again?
Alright - directly to the question - probably the greatest effect will be cultural.

Change creates new cultural avenues to explore, express, and record. Part of the reason for the explosion in recording in the 50's, 60's and 70's was that cultural ideas were changing rapidly. What people thought, and what you could express in song was changing. So there was an opportunity to record these new ideas, as they had not been recorded before and there was a public wanting to consume them. Change breeds consumption.

Music has for several decades been dominated by voices of a certain political leaning. It's become stale to a sizable segment of society. Those feelings and opinions that have for many years felt muted by political correctness may find more freedom of expression - both the freedom to be expressed, and the freedom to consume these expressions, including in song. This may open up a new market, leading to more recording as, once again, newly fashionable ideas are put to tune and need to be recorded for consumption.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Nut

I live in Germany, run a record label which has it's own studio and I'm also a touring musician.

Brexit to me means for the individual parts of my business:
- touring musician: unlike Switzerland or Norway who have a history over decades of agreements about travel and trade with the EU Britain will start at zero - so getting the nightliner with band (artist visa...), crew (working visa...), gear (customs...), merch (customs..) over the channel might be as complicated and painful in the first years after the Brexit as going over to somewhere in Africa - we rather won't come anymore - same way round for British musicians going to the EU, just think about getting your merch over and taxed and getting your visas - even harder for an UK engineer to get allowance to work in the EU then.... also I'd rather avoid to record in the UK or have anything mastered there because of all these hassles....
- studio / buying gear: as a professional business I deduct tax in my books - without being able to deduct the UK VAT tax anymore + customs + German import VAT prices for gear will go up 50% for the initial investment and at least 25% after I took off the German import VAT in the quarter - also getting anything sent over from the UK will take much longer then and shipping costs get higher... as the pound dropped that much now I initially thought about buying a comp from POM but if I have to send it to him for service when Britain is out is a thought that keeps me from it now...
- label: my releases will become more expensive in the UK due to higher shipping cost, customs and tax - might not change that much for me anyway because Britain in only a very small part of the worldwide market - other way round: if I'd be a British label which sells a lot in the EU things start to get complicated (besides customs and tax and higher shipping fees just think about the handling of returns with your distributor) - quite an important part of my business are direct sales over my webshop, each package with a single CD or LP to a customer in Britain gets higher shipping fees, customs and a more complicated handling (payment, tax, books)... of course over the decades Britain will come to sufficient trade and travel agreements with the EU, China and the USA but after the Brexit the UK starts at zero and not where Switzerland or Norway are now...
Old 28th June 2016
oh well, while it is clear that some people were perfectly able to confine their comments to the effect on our industry (thank you to them for their input), it is clear that a few are incapable of doing so.

Closed it is.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search