The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pultec 500 series eq. Any Users?
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Pultec 500 series eq. Any Users?

I was looking into getting the 500 version of the 1A model. Are there any users of either model out there? How do they sound? Worth it?
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Head

Also interested.
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

Dido that, and what are they best at ?
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Addict
Yeah me too what gives?
Old 30th June 2016
I've been looking at them. I got a chance to touch one but not plugged in! Doesnt count for much. Build quality is top notch at least.
Old 30th June 2016
Here for the gear

Pultec 500 series

My sales engineer indicated the new 500 series Pultec eqs would be best on a master bus. I was under the impression they were pretty versatile. I'm looking for my 1st set of 500 series eqs, and I'm ready to spend the jing. So many options so little time, prob be using it on my mix bus mainly. Am I wrong for thinking 500 series Pultec ?
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

I would go for the BAE B15, or NEVE shelford 500 series - lutes is a one trick pony and thats why it lives strapped across my SL 2 bus.
one is never enough. Also you just can't fit all that Transformer goodness into a 1U
The passive is an eq i would go for last.
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyStudios3 View Post
My sales engineer indicated the new 500 series Pultec eqs would be best on a master bus. I was under the impression they were pretty versatile. I'm looking for my 1st set of 500 series eqs, and I'm ready to spend the jing. So many options so little time, prob be using it on my mix bus mainly. Am I wrong for thinking 500 series Pultec ?
The problem with bus use is tiny fiddly knobs that don't adjust in very fine degrees. Matching two for stereo can be a real pain, most ANY 500 series mono piece. Doing it in Mid-side? Not so hard. I'd personally rather have larger hardware knobs for stereo matching, larger diameter giving better turning control. There is one stereo 500 pultec type out there with digital control of parameters, might be better suited for stereo if it sounds good. No idea about the comparison.
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Maniac

Pultec 500 Series EQs- Who's tried 'em?

Any slutz here try these babies yet? I've got the A Designs and I'm wondering how these compare. May have to just order one from VK to try, but wanted to see if there's any road tested POV's here?
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Very keen to hear about the pulse 500 series
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Maniac
Also very interested to hear, especially about the low end, compared to other 500 series options like the A Designs and JLM PEQs, but also compared to Pulse's own EQP solid state rack units or to the A Designs EM-EQ2.

Seems historically the 19" racks have tended to have the edge on 500 series units in the low end. I am not knowledgeable enough about the components involved to know why. But if the low end on the Pulse 500 series units can best the A Designs EM-EQ2, that would be interesting.

I have also not heard anyone say yet if there is an audible difference between the 500 series and rack versions of Pulse' EQP units, but I would love to hear what people think on both highs and lows, but especially on the lows, whether Pulse has fully captured the solid state EQP magic of the rack unit in 500 series form.

Last edited by RecMyWorld; 22nd September 2016 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

I'm wondering pulse got the iron into 1 500 series slot.

The trannies in my EQP are gigantic and very hefty in weight!
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I'm wondering pulse got the iron into 1 500 series slot.

The trannies in my EQP are gigantic and very hefty in weight!
You have tube rack pultecs or solid state rack pultecs? I thought Pulse said they got all components of solid state pultecs into the 500 series, which sounds amazing if true, but I am not sure if I heard that right and wondered about component fit too.

I think I read they cannot do same with tube units.

Would love more info and especially to hear sonic comparisons between 500 series and rack units. Solid state won't sound exactly like tube obviously, but can little 500 series solid state Pultecs sound as full and big as rack solid state Pultecs? Would be amazing.

Anyone?
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

All tube round my parts!.. Damn studio is like a beach with the console PSU and 3 towers of Eq.Compression causing a massive carbon foot print!

Looks cool and eerie glowing in the night!

Wiggy
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Maniac
That is fantastic!
Old 25th September 2016
Lives for gear

I have an analog allstars EQP-1S5 which is great. It´s solid state with an 2520 opamp, see here: Analog Allstars EQP-1S5 500-Series Pultec EQ - DIYRE Wiki
Quite some time ago I did an Pultec shootout with some friends and this one seemed to be the most favoured of all contenders for it´s rock solid lowend. So I´m very interested in hearing the Pulse in comparison.
Old 25th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
I have an analog allstars EQP-1S5 which is great. It´s solid state with an 2520 opamp, see here: Analog Allstars EQP-1S5 500-Series Pultec EQ - DIYRE Wiki
Quite some time ago I did an Pultec shootout with some friends and this one seemed to be the most favoured of all contenders for it´s rock solid lowend. So I´m very interested in hearing the Pulse in comparison.
Is it just me, or does the price between diy and built unit seem a little high?
450 for diy, 900 for built. (serious question btw)
Old 25th September 2016
TRW
Lives for gear

That's a great built price.

3-4 hrs to build, soak & test. A good tech would be $100/hr.

So $400 to build would be fair, I suspect it might take a newbie more time if fiddling with the build.

Most modules built to this calibre cost approx. $1000.

Typical rule is to take 25% off for dealer, another for distributor, leaving 50% for manufacturer, typical parts & labour around 20-30% of total sale price.

Making & supporting kits suggests that there is some margin in the parts price of $450 to cover the design work & support - thus $900 is more than fair for built.

-T
Old 25th September 2016
TRW
Lives for gear

Oh also - the pulse units sound great, very smooth.

I'd love to A/B the allstars kits as I want a pair of these 500 eqp types...

Pulse top of my list.
Old 25th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink View Post
Any slutz here try these babies yet? I've got the A Designs and I'm wondering how these compare. May have to just order one from VK to try, but wanted to see if there's any road tested POV's here?
I have them. If you happen to be in LA we could do an A/B, as I used to have the A Designs and would be nice to hear them head to head.
Old 26th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
That's a great built price.

3-4 hrs to build, soak & test. A good tech would be $100/hr.

So $400 to build would be fair, I suspect it might take a newbie more time if fiddling with the build.

Most modules built to this calibre cost approx. $1000.

Typical rule is to take 25% off for dealer, another for distributor, leaving 50% for manufacturer, typical parts & labour around 20-30% of total sale price.

Making & supporting kits suggests that there is some margin in the parts price of $450 to cover the design work & support - thus $900 is more than fair for built.

-T
Thanks for that .
Old 26th September 2016
Gear Maniac
The $450 kit price for Analog Allstars also does not factor in op amp. SL Red Dots $65 each if you buy a pair.

When they build for you, they include it fully built with their own op amp, so that is included in the $900 price.
Old 26th September 2016
Gear Maniac

"I have them. If you happen to be in LA we could do an A/B, as I used to have the A Designs and would be nice to hear them head to head."

Drats Johnnyc, im actually nyc-based.... wouldve loved to do a side by side though.
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear

im about to order a pultec 500. maybe i even get the chance to check it out against the a-desings. have to talk to my dealer. we will see... hope i can tell you about my first impressions soon!
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

i bought 2, and they just arrived.... upon initial burn in with a CD listen, they sound amazing.... very much like the big brother pultecs....

im considering buying a rack of them. true they are not surgical, but wow are they warn and round, and clear.
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
i bought 2, and they just arrived.... upon initial burn in with a CD listen, they sound amazing.... very much like the big brother pultecs....

im considering buying a rack of them. true they are not surgical, but wow are they warn and round, and clear.

Did you get the 500-A or 500-S?
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

the 500-S
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
the 500-S
jjj, any more thoughts after using them for awhile now?

I think you are certainly one of the first here to have hands on with these, so I'm betting that a lot of people interested in these would love to get your feedback!
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasm View Post
im about to order a pultec 500. maybe i even get the chance to check it out against the a-desings. have to talk to my dealer. we will see... hope i can tell you about my first impressions soon!
Did you get one? Any feedback you can provide?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search