The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pultec 500 series eq. Any Users?
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Maniac

hi, sorry for the delay....

i have barely used them, the low end is quite nice, and classic pultec sounding....

the finger fiddle space on the knobs is tight, its easy to accidentally move an adjacent knob by accident.. but they seem to sound great... i want a rack of them.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post

i have barely used them, the low end is quite nice, and classic pultec sounding....

the finger fiddle space on the knobs is tight, its easy to accidentally move an adjacent knob by accident.. but they seem to sound great... i want a rack of them.
Nice, thanks for the reply!
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post

They are not detented/stepped controls on the 500s I'm assuming?
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear
Nope...

Other than frequency points...negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
They are not detented/stepped controls on the 500s I'm assuming?
Old 3rd December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did you get one? Any feedback you can provide?
finally got the EQs (pultec 500a and a-designs em-peq) yesterday. my first impression: both sound great and very into the same direction.

pultec: has slightly bigger bottom end and sounds a little smoother.

a designs: little bit tighter. but still very big and also smooth.

...those are details. i could really live with both of them for that type of sound, even though i slightly prefer the pultec (may be different on some sources. dont know yet). so i will probably keep the pultec (also because of better value).

dont overrate this feedback. have to check them out longer. i tried them on drum bus, bass and vocals for only 3 hours. have also compared them to avedis e27, cranesong insigna and a-designs hammer (just for fun, even though its apple vs oranges in some cases).
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasm View Post
finally got the EQs (pultec 500a and a-designs em-peq) yesterday. my first impression: both sound great and very into the same direction.

pultec: has slightly bigger bottom end and sounds a little smoother.

a designs: little bit tighter. but still very big and also smooth.

...those are details. i could really live with both of them for that type of sound, even though i slightly prefer the pultec (may be different on some sources. dont know yet). so i will probably keep the pultec (also because of better value).

dont overrate this feedback. have to check them out longer. i tried them on drum bus, bass and vocals for only 3 hours. have also compared them to avedis e27, cranesong insigna and a-designs hammer (just for fun, even though its apple vs oranges in some cases).

And what did you think compared to E27, Insigna and Hammer please? Very curious.
Old 4th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
And what did you think compared to E27, Insigna and Hammer please? Very curious.

first, i really love all of those eqs. just different beasts.

insigna is all about naturalness + adding a gentle touch of tube softness. but never boring. the more i use this eq the more i love it. may become my overall favourite (but also depends on case/style/instrument, of course). because of its naturalness it (at least) works on almost any source for me. it fits the philosophy of not doing too much and just adding a little bit of softness and quality.

for me, the hammer is a sculpting and colouring tool. broad bands. adds sth. i cant really describe. love it on vocals. brings out the voice in a very intimate way. on drums not sure yet (maybe for a specific sound). some high-mid tube-thing going on here. also very soft air-band. bass freq not that focused like pultec for example. not that versatile and not really what i would call a "EQ", but in cases it works its brilliant (which for me is quite often ).

E27 is different. of those eqs i would say it has the clearest/sharpest "edges", which is a totally stupid description for it because all in all its also a really really smooth eq. just a cleaner type of smoothness (no tubes), though its not clinical(boring) and still coloured in its own way (also adds some kind of positive "sizzling" in the air-frequencys). i would use it if i wanted smth. to cut a little better through the mix but still remaining smooth and clear. kind of hi-fi, high-quality sound. you can hear the EQing little more than with the insigna for example. all in all very versatile.

the solid state pultecs are really smooth but also in a different way than insigna and hammer. also clearer and more focused. huge bottom and bass (thats the strenght of this eq), of course. great for sound enhancement (sub bass and highs, well its a program eq). loved it on drum buss for just making everything a little bigger and more open without softening transients too much, staying clear and smooth. not so great for cutting things through the mix in the mids (well, thats obvious). vocals become really open, full, big and smooth, which i could imagine being great in a minimalistic ballad (on solo-ed vocals at least it sounds amazing). but in a dense mix they may have problems to cut through. if i wanted to make them more present in the mix while remaining the smooth, clear and open "modern" kind of sound i would probably use the avedis. if i wanted the vocals to sound softer/warmer (more tube distortion), adding sth interesting, but still stay intimate, in front of the mix i would use the hammer. if i already have a nice vocal sound and just want to add a little bit of tube softness, air or sth else while still remaining natural i would use the insigna.

again, those are only my first impressions after comparing them for 2 days. long term use may change my opinion. also those impressions are heavily influenced by the way i use those tools. i use them mainly for adding and sculpting things. for pure correction i mostly use other tools (digital).

hope this helps anyway
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasm View Post
hope this helps anyway
Unbelievably helpful. Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful detail!
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

I've got a pair of the Pultec 500 series here, and I have A/B'd them against my EQP1-S3's. They do the same thing, but in a slightly more aggressive fashion. But I would not hesitate to buy a pair, if I were you. They are absolutely awesome.
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I've got a pair of the Pultec 500 series here, and I have A/B'd them against my EQP1-S3's. They do the same thing, but in a slightly more aggressive fashion. But I would not hesitate to buy a pair, if I were you. They are absolutely awesome.
Same bottom end size/depth?
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Maniac
And has anyone compared EQP-500s to full rack A Designs EM-EQ2? Thx!
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Addict

Just got 2 pairs here at the Blasting Room. The 500S. They behave the same as the EQM-1S3, but are tighter and have more clarity overall. I love them for mix buss and mastering, as the color isn't quite as strong, but the eq still fills out the sound and is very smooth. These are a big home run for the 500 series!
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
jjj, any more thoughts after using them for awhile now?

I think you are certainly one of the first here to have hands on with these, so I'm betting that a lot of people interested in these would love to get your feedback!
yep, these are great.. i have 4 of them now, and they do sound very good... a great way to put some pultec in your world....

as far as using them on a 2 buss, i would still choose my full size pultecs... better noise specs, and the fairy dust factor..
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Great input guys.. I love my eqp 1a and have been having dark thoughts about another one for stereo buss work.

With so many new 500 series pultecs I can see it coming that there will be many 'which 500 series pultec is best' threads coming !

I might have to spring for a pair of these or a retro 2a3... faaaark decisions decisions !
Old 16th August 2017
Here for the gear

@ jjblair @ jasonlivermore

I assume when you say the 500 series is tighter is due to the fact that your EQP/EQM-1A3/1S3 racks are tube and the 500 series is solid state? (Just assuming you dont have the solid state output stage on the full racks)
Old 14th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchetect View Post

I assume when you say the 500 series is tighter is due to the fact that your EQP/EQM-1A3/1S3 racks are tube and the 500 series is solid state? (Just assuming you dont have the solid state output stage on the full racks)
bump
Old 23rd October 2017
I had a chance to play with these a bit at aes this year. Loved them. I also hit up the A Designs booth as well as the Fearn booth. I think my favorite might have been the Fearn. Very delicate and smooth. Not as exaggerated as the others. The big rack tube Pultecs were the most similar in their softening effect as they were pushed. The A Designs and the 500 series Pultec were pretty similar. A little clearer and tighter sounding. I preferred the Pultec as it seemed a little more natural, although the A Designs would still be a welcome addition to any mix. I do love that passive eq sound. Can't go wrong with any of them!
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchetect View Post

Not trying to answer for jj or jason - but I've often heard that the original solid state version sounded slightly tighter in the bass freqs than it's tube brother, and engineers would actually seek out (or avoid) either for that exact reason. If the 500 version is solid state, it would make sense that the mentioned observation would apply to it as well.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

aug 2018 - it seems the 500s is discontinued.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
aug 2018 - it seems the 500s is discontinued.
so it's the 500 series "a" version still in production? 'Cause that is also NOT on the Pulse website..

any info?

Cheu
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
so it's the 500 series "a" version still in production? 'Cause that is also NOT on the Pulse website..

any info?

Cheu
Pultec EQP-500A | Sweetwater
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Yep, BUT they're not in stock at sweetwater.

Although the sweetwater website says coming soon..

They're not on the Pulse website, which I find quite strange for a manufacturer to not put it on their website IF they are still avalaible..

Hopefully they'll continue to make 'em..

Cheu
Old 29th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I started this thread about 2 years ago, and I finally got a chance to try one ha. I can confirm they are really good. Very warm and natural sounding. There wasn't really a "wow" moment for me when using them, but, there was a natural beauty that was present that I would find it extremely difficult to replicate with anything else. They are very smooth and classy sounding units. I would recommend trying one out for sure.
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Hopefully they'll continue to make 'em..
They have been backordered, I just got a msg mine is shipping in a week.
Old 8th June 2019
So I ran a transfer function on the EQP-500X to see what's going on with the simultaneous boost/cut. With knob settings of 30Hz, boost 3, cut 2; it's producing a curve which dips at 500hz. And the phase response isn't bad. Posted more quant here.
Attached Thumbnails
Pultec 500 series eq. Any Users?-pultec_30hz_boost_atten_frequ.jpg  
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
So I ran a transfer function on the EQP-500X to see what's going on with the simultaneous boost/cut. With knob settings of 30Hz, boost 3, cut 2; it's producing a curve which dips at 500hz. And the phase response isn't bad. Posted more quant here.
Good info, thanks.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Wedaudio prometheus looks promising with full recall.

Anyone used the bettermaker pultec ?
Old 8th November 2019
Here for the gear

Pultec style EQ for vocal recording chain

Hey guys,

I'm mainly tracking vocals, so I'm basically looking for a perfect vocal chain that's still portable.
I own a great ELAM 251 re-issue and just bought a RND R6, so I'm obviously looking for 500 series stuff.

I've already tested various preamps and compressors. My favorites so far are:
Preamp: Heritage '73 jr
Compressor: IGS LA500
I was used to working with a Teletronix LA2A and I'm stoked how close the LA500 sounds!

Now I fancy getting a Pultec EQP-1A clone for 500 series. I've read quite a lot, since I can't get the units I'd love to hear over here in Germany. That's why I'm trying to find out which would be the best Pultec clone for me without hearing them.
My favorites so far seem to be the Pultec EQP-500A or the JLM PEQ500... a shame a can't hear them side by side.
What I'd love the most would be a tube based mono unit with original EQP-1A circuit... so basically the same thing that IGS did with the LA500. I wouldn't care if it was two or three 500 units big... is there such thing??
Or do you have any other suggestions?

I'll also consider adding the RND Portico 542 to the chain, but first of all I'll need a state-of-the-art passive EQ

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers
Basti
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybasti View Post
Hey guys,

I'm mainly tracking vocals, so I'm basically looking for a perfect vocal chain that's still portable.
I own a great ELAM 251 re-issue and just bought a RND R6, so I'm obviously looking for 500 series stuff.

I've already tested various preamps and compressors. My favorites so far are:
Preamp: Heritage '73 jr
Compressor: IGS LA500
I was used to working with a Teletronix LA2A and I'm stoked how close the LA500 sounds!

Now I fancy getting a Pultec EQP-1A clone for 500 series. I've read quite a lot, since I can't get the units I'd love to hear over here in Germany. That's why I'm trying to find out which would be the best Pultec clone for me without hearing them.
My favorites so far seem to be the Pultec EQP-500A or the JLM PEQ500... a shame a can't hear them side by side.
What I'd love the most would be a tube based mono unit with original EQP-1A circuit... so basically the same thing that IGS did with the LA500. I wouldn't care if it was two or three 500 units big... is there such thing??
Or do you have any other suggestions?

I'll also consider adding the RND Portico 542 to the chain, but first of all I'll need a state-of-the-art passive EQ

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers
Buzz T. Isles
With such a chain and money invested I'd say that it will not be difficult to speak with your dealer to let you test 2-3 pieces in your place with YOUR EARS AND TASTE, and send back the ones you don't want/need..
that's how I'd do it if that money was mine.

that said..

the pulse techniques is a very nice piece and highly recommended..it's of course solid state as you know.
another nice eq, (although it's not pultec style) is the Crane Song Insigna, and that is a tube eq.
Avedis also have his E27 and the new E12G (which is a very practical tracking eq) both spectacular pieces.. but maybe in your case I'd seriously considering the CS Insigna.

this post might interest you, GS member dasm compared a couple of these eq's in this very thread (in case you missed it):

Pultec 500 series eq. Any Users?

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybasti View Post
Hey guys,

Basti
IMHO -> Best portable vocal channel :
AVEDIS MA5 + AVEDIS E27 or MAAG AUDIO EQ4 + INWARD CONNECTIONS THE BRUTE
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search