The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Preamp
Old 20th June 2016
Tube Preamp

I'm looking for a stereo tube preamp for vocals, acoustic guitar and drum overheads. EQ is a must, comp would be nice but isn't necessary. I'm looking for something fat, warm and has flexibility. Something like a V76/REDD but with EQ. Anything out there 2-Channel that'll fit in 2-3 rack spaces? Budget is about 5k. I've tried both the Thermionic Earlybird and Rooster. The Earlybird was closest to what I am looking for, but not quite IT. Any under the radar recommended pieces?
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear
The Thermionic Earlybird is awesome on electric guitar.
Old 20th June 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
The Thermionic Earlybird is awesome on electric guitar.
It was, I had one for several months testing it. But, though it may have been awesome, I decided it wasn't awesome enough and sent it back. The EQ, while sweet, was limited and usually required more processing later in the mix. 3k is just so important to me and 2.5/4k just didn't give me the grab I wanted. The pre was great, but sort of clean. Though not a bad quality, I just liked driving it a little hot for excitement. Loved it with a 57 on a old 65' Deluxe. Talk about a clean tone!
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

Jack of all trades, master of none. Grab em separately mang.
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear
I agree, I prefer to hook up many devices. Best Preamp, best EQ, etc. You get the best of each, and you can combine them in multiple ways.
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Maniac
In 3 spaces, you could go 500 series with LaChapell 583s or 583e and add other flavor EQs/comps. Also, I think there is a LaChapell 992 in classifieds, but not sure. I have not heard that unit in person, but different/more colored sound than 583 pres. Won't get you EQ, but is 2U and you could add a 1U stereo eq underneath it. I thought about Rooster also recently and decided to go with pair of LaChapell 583s. Yet to receive them, so cannot give real review, but watch James Lugo's video where he tests a bunch of sources on one, and I felt flexibility of tone in pre due to independent input/output levels and ability to vary how hard you want to hit it was worth investment. There is a 2U (500-2U) 583e version with the eq attached on eBay now still I think, but I felt the LaChapell 583e/503 eq was more transparent than what I wanted from clips I heard (though great sounding, but not colored, which I wanted), so I ordered 583s preamps only, so I can run with AML 1073, Avedis E27 or Pultec EQs, depending on need. Your needs may be different, but I was thinking about similar question, so figured I would chime in with what I arrived at so far. Others who have them could maybe comment on their personal use of these pieces, but maybe could fit for you. Would love to know your experience testing out Rooster generally and how it compared with Earlybird.

Last edited by RecMyWorld; 21st June 2016 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Spacing, typos
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

You need to audition an ADL600. Big smooth sounding pre, a beauty on vocals.
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

Gyraf G9! No EQ inside, though. But there will be enough $$$$ left within your budget to buy some serious standalone EQ or even a lunchbox with a few modules.
Old 21st June 2016
Sebatron vmp-2000eVu or a Sebatron AXIS 200VU.
They are both two channel tube preamps with a bit of EQ.
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

best to have separate eq. tube-tech or dw fearn? a good paint-job is important.
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Maniac
Also, forgot in my earlier post, LaChapell also has 983s, which is dual channel of same preamp type as the 583s that I ordered but in a 1U rack mount chassis, if you want to avoid 500 series.

The 983s rackmount version has HP and LP filters on each pre channel, though no EQ of the sort you specified. Little more money than 500 series pair of 583s, but around $2K is well within your budget and added filters are a positive and cool if the single rackspace has appeal for you. Still space and cash leftover for good stereo EQ and/or comp. Best of luck in your search!
Old 21st June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
Gyraf G9! No EQ inside, though. But there will be enough $$$$ left within your budget to buy some serious standalone EQ or even a lunchbox with a few modules.
G9 is great

V72/76?
BA2/21?

Best EQ is move the mic around...
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Maniac

If you like V 76 you should give a test to sonic farm audio berliner or mercury audio M76
Old 23rd June 2016
Old 23rd June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
Really
Old 24th June 2016
Sorry I've been very responsive after I initially posted this.
I ended up with a Sonic Farm Creamer and a API 500V.
I've decided to audition various 500 modules for what I wanted.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear
Awesome!!!
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Although the choice is made but the question is always relevant, so, next also can check pre`s we do, Affinity, and Mirror(within updating) :

Attached Thumbnails
Tube Preamp-mirror-2-1280.jpg  
Old 25th June 2016
Gear Nut

Mercury +1
📝 Reply