The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Attention Burl Mothership and Pro Tools HD Native users!
Old 16th June 2016
Gear Nut

Attention Burl Mothership and Pro Tools HD Native users!

Hello,

I am looking at buying a Burl B80 Mothership 24AD/24DA in the next few days along with a DAW to incorporate into my studio that I am currently assembling. I have a 40 input Trident TSM console running 2 inch tape, but want the flexibility of tracking straight to digital, tape or a combination of both. I will be mixing back through Burl DA's into Trident. I have chosen the Burl AD/DA mothership to be the bridge between formats due to its sound quality, clock and its modular expandable design.

I am looking for feedback from any users of Pro Toolls HD native, in particular, people using the B80 in conjunction with it. I don't plan on doing huge track count sessions and heavy mixing in the box with tons of plug ins etc. However, I will be tracking, editing and automating and want this system to take full advantage of the Burl sound quality when bridging the two formats.

Pro tools HDX's additional DSP looks good for huge track sessions etc, but I don't need that capability ( maybe 48 tracks +/-) and don't want to spend big money on hardware and converters that I'm not going to use.

So the question is, how is HD native? In particular relating to sound quality, latency, jitter, reliability, speed etc etc...

Cheers
Old 16th June 2016
Gear Addict

its good
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

I have mothership with 4inputs and 24 out patched into my console.

Sounds stellar and let's me think of other things now.

All plumbed into an 8 core G5 mac... Which needs tweaking a kik but as I mix only w seldom small overdubs it's a kick ass system that you shouldn't regret.

If you head down this route go for a trash can mac which will give you more than enough horse power if you go the native thunderbolt route l.

The cool thing is that if you go thunderbolt you can get mobile with a MacBook Pro !

Try if possible but can't see you sending it back.

It's a truly hyped bit of kit on GS that meets and exceeds said hype! ☺️
Old 16th June 2016
I haven't got around to fitting native card yet so running my mothership with HD3. No problems whatsoever.
Old 16th June 2016
Engagement Manager

I have the same set up a Wiggy but with a nMP (he's actually got my old cheese-grater Mac Pro)
I've got an HDX system but never moved the Burl over to it as HD works great and I've never got close to needing HDX for processing
Old 16th June 2016
Gear Maniac
If you are tracking with multiple headphone cues you will want hdx (or legacy HD) or set up the console for monitoring.
Old 16th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
If you are tracking with multiple headphone cues you will want hdx (or legacy HD) or set up the console for monitoring.
Yes, I have heard that. In my case, for the foreseeable future anyway, I am tracking through my Trident TSM console which will handle headphone mixes rather than through PT processing.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

Buy it!!!
Old 16th June 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. On the PT website it indicates the Pro Tools HD native latency spec is higher at 1.7 ms, versus .7 ms HDX and .96 ms with previous generation HD accel.

So, based on the feedback so far, it sounds like latency has not been a issue for users and I am to assume it won't be an issue for me either, perhaps unless doing real heavy ITB processing, i.e. very high track counts, multiple head phone cues etc.

To the users who have posted and are happy with performance, in particular latency, just curious, how heavy you are pushing your system and how many tracks are you typically tracking/mixing in PT on average?

I want and need to be able to track and record to 2 inch tape and transfer full 24 track session in one go from tape through mothership AD to PT and later back DA through mothership to console for mixdown.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds like
Just the ticket without the price tag if your tracking to 2".

Even if not you can set up cue from the trice so should be dandy!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search