The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tree Audio Branch vs Chandler Limited REDD.47 and RS-124
Old 15th June 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
Tree Audio Branch vs Chandler Limited REDD.47 and RS-124

I'm looking to pickup a tube pre and compressor for mono drum overhead, vocals, bass, etc... There is a lot of love out there for the Chandler REDD.47 and RS-124. A pair of each is on my wish list, for sure. However, the Tree Audio stuff is getting some buzz and I want to know if anyone has used both the Branch (II) and the REDD/RS-124 combo. Any comparative feedback you can offer would be great.

Thanks for your time and replies.
Old 27th June 2016
  #2
Gear Head
 

would love to hear peoples thoughts on this too!
Old 28th June 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
I'm looking to pickup a tube pre and compressor for mono drum overhead, vocals, bass, etc... There is a lot of love out there for the Chandler REDD.47 and RS-124. A pair of each is on my wish list, for sure. However, the Tree Audio stuff is getting some buzz and I want to know if anyone has used both the Branch (II) and the REDD/RS-124 combo. Any comparative feedback you can offer would be great.

Thanks for your time and replies.
I've used the branch. This was a while back and I didn't have it when i tried the REDD and 124 recently. I'll say this, the Tree was lovely and easy to dial in. I have some older Gates tube pre's and it really "American" if that makes any sense. Not sure if they based it on the UREI consoles or the Gates stuff both or neither. But they didn't sound like my V78 and they didn't sound like the REDD 47. The limiter was nice but if I'd owned the unit I'd probably have used an outboard LA2A or LA3A. It wasn't my fave on a vocal, but that was just on one occasion. I'll say it's not like an LA3A or LA2A in the way you can just pop it on any source and it will sound great with a few knob twists. It reminded me of the Inward Connections Vac Rac but less forgiving.

The REDD i would just say is a completely different animal and the same with the 124. The REDD has far more features and different ways to tweak the preamp to get a sound you want. I'll say the REDD's at this point are the most open, up front, and fattest tube preamp I've ever heard. And I LOVE MY GATES outboard preamps. I once said I wish I had 10. And I still do, but given the choice I'd probably take the REDD's. 1st because my Gates preamps have one knob that that's it. The Chandlers have far more diversity. 2. Because the REDD really does give you INSANE low end. I use my Gates almost always on bass DI. Not while the REDD lived here, it got both DI and amp.

The 124. Again, completely different. You're comparing a 2 knob classic opto type design to a limiter that has more options than any tube based limiter I've used. That being said, the 124 isn't for everyone. I love it because it is different and it does different things. Sure you can get it to do a very simple opto type compression with a forgiving release and attack.. Or you can flip the fuse and kill your attack and punch it and get the most in your face vocal compression you've ever heard... You don't just plop it on something and there you are, there's some tweaking to be done but that's the joy of it. There's so many ways to get a sound with it. I would say call VK or Sweetwater, whoever you deal with and demo both. That's how I make my decision to buy almost anything new these days. I can't rely on someone elses experience to buy something.
Old 29th June 2016
  #4
Here for the gear
Thanks, Hamburg. That is very helpful and solid advice. I have been leaning toward the REDD's. The reviews are supporting that decision.

For the price, I was hoping the Tree Audio would be a great complement to two REDD's, but now I am thinking 4 REDD's, at least one RS-124 for mono overhead, and maybe one Branch II for vocals.

I'll definitely get down to VK to try everything out before I start to phase my purchases. Definitely will not be buying everything at once.

Thanks, again!
Old 30th June 2016
  #5
Here for the gear
How about the Retro Powerstrip on drums, verse the REDD.47 and RS-124 Combo?
Old 30th June 2016
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
How about the Retro Powerstrip on drums, verse the REDD.47 and RS-124 Combo?
Should be able to let you know soon as this is the exact combo I am using on drums

Powerstrips/ redds with rs124s.

I dont yet have the redds or rs124s but very keen to hear if anyone else has experience.
Old 1st July 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
How about the Retro Powerstrip on drums, verse the REDD.47 and RS-124 Combo?
Its exactly the same as what you were asking before. There's no combo preamp limiter eq out there that compares to the RS124 and the REDD 47... Because they're not a combo unit. It's like saying "Yeah I think I'll take out my Porsche 911 Turbo and Ferrari Testarosa out for a spin.. Or I could take my McClaren out with its Lotus engine.." It's kinda irrelevant to compare combo units to the Chandler stuff, its just so different. If you are comparing combo units to each other then yeah I'm sure there are some good comparisons out there. I would just demo stuff or go look up reviews on these combo units.

Now say you wanna check out the Chandler TG Cassette, that's a perfect comparison to these combo units you've been naming. Maybe you should check out the Cassette since you seem to gravitate towards the combo stuff?
Old 1st July 2016
  #8
Here for the gear
Point well taken. It's not so much that I am leaning toward combo stuff, it's a value for the money thing. I wanted to hear some non-biased opinions on strictly tube pre's, combo or not. I've read Geoff's book and know that he preferred REDD over TG, particularly on Ringo's drums.

Since I already have three BAE 1073s and a pair of SSL SuperAnalogues, I wanted to diversify into tube. Also, being jaded toward anything Beatles related, I wanted to be sure that the Chandler stuff was the real deal. As the reviews on GS and elsewhere are indicating, apparently it is.

Once more, thank you so much for your reply.
Old 1st July 2016
  #9
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
How about the Retro Powerstrip on drums, verse the REDD.47 and RS-124 Combo?
Having both The PS is more polite by comparison.
I thought the Tree was a very good tool but for drums I'm with Hamburg.
I love the Redds on drums.just did some stuff with Sony C37a's/Redds on overheads..sounded really cool.
Old 14th August 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
scorpix74's Avatar
Is the branch limiter a vac rac?
I've seen someone saying this but it's nowhere in tree audio website.
Old 6th October 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Having both The PS is more polite by comparison.
I thought the Tree was a very good tool but for drums I'm with Hamburg.
I love the Redds on drums.just did some stuff with Sony C37a's/Redds on overheads..sounded really cool.
Hi roundbadge I'm now stalking you to get more info on the BG2 versus Rs124 Chandler. You love the RS124 on drums as well? How did it compare to BG2? Is one capable of more explosive sounds for a vari mu
Old 15th March 2017
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Hey guys, I'm currently having my eyes on Redd 47 preamp. I've heard audio examples on guitar, drum but not so many on vocals. How is on vocal recording? Is this versatile from clean to super colored?
Old 20th March 2017
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

I'll have to bump this thread because I'm about to pull the trigger on Redd 47 and wanted to know a little bit more on this pre.

So I've been researching and hearing some of the great examples which I liked a lot. I definitely hear that vintage British vibe/color which was common throughout these examples but I'm also wondering if it can give very clean/transparent option and if it can, how is the sound on clean/transparent side.
I remember hearing branch II being more on the transparent side which I also enjoyed a lot.

Any input guys?
Old 24th March 2017
  #14
Yes I'm about to invest in a modern stereo pair or unit of tube design. I have a racked pair of V72 which sound lovely and vintage but I heard that Chandler REDD 47 Drum stem which is REALLY slamming. Do they sound like that out the box or have they been heavily processed? I appreciate this is a rather silly question.
Obviously 5k is a big investment and I wondered if there was a secret weapon I'd been missing? Any other European companies emulating these kind of things?
Old 24th March 2017
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Yes I'm about to invest in a modern stereo pair or unit of tube design. I have a racked pair of V72 which sound lovely and vintage but I heard that Chandler REDD 47 Drum stem which is REALLY slamming. Do they sound like that out the box or have they been heavily processed? I appreciate this is a rather silly question.
Obviously 5k is a big investment and I wondered if there was a secret weapon I'd been missing? Any other European companies emulating these kind of things?
I used to own a pair of V72's and had some V76's too (liked them way better). Everyone freaks out about them because The Beatles used them. Unless they're in a console and you have 2-3 of them in the channel doing different duties, they're pretty boring preamps. The REDD's are not that. They're exciting and different. They're unique. As far as vintage V72's I've used, they're always boring to me. You just turn down the attenuation. I bet you if you Invest in a pair of these REDDS, you will sell your V72's and get 2 more. It's not just the pre, the unit itself just has a lot of tone possibilities. They've really nailed it! I am in the studio 5-6 days a week. I've used a Neve for a vocal once since November, the rest have been the REDD's. For live tracking I can't make a choice between putting them on bass or my overheads... it's tough! I kind of just say I'll do overheads today, the API sounds good on the bass..

I have C12's and we use them as overheads a lot. They're already super 3D but the Chandler adds a whole other dimension to them. They live there or on bass for live tracking, and we have Neve stuff and 40 channels of API from 1978.

I am juggling new monitors, the Chandler Mic or another pair of REDD's. I'd have 4!! I say go for it you won't regret it
Old 24th March 2017
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
I used to own a pair of V72's and had some V76's too (liked them way better). Everyone freaks out about them because The Beatles used them. Unless they're in a console and you have 2-3 of them in the channel doing different duties, they're pretty boring preamps. The REDD's are not that. They're exciting and different. They're unique. As far as vintage V72's I've used, they're always boring to me. You just turn down the attenuation. I bet you if you Invest in a pair of these REDDS, you will sell your V72's and get 2 more. It's not just the pre, the unit itself just has a lot of tone possibilities. They've really nailed it! I am in the studio 5-6 days a week. I've used a Neve for a vocal once since November, the rest have been the REDD's. For live tracking I can't make a choice between putting them on bass or my overheads... it's tough! I kind of just say I'll do overheads today, the API sounds good on the bass..

I have C12's and we use them as overheads a lot. They're already super 3D but the Chandler adds a whole other dimension to them. They live there or on bass for live tracking, and we have Neve stuff and 40 channels of API from 1978.

I am juggling new monitors, the Chandler Mic or another pair of REDD's. I'd have 4!! I say go for it you won't regret it
Thanks Man! I like the V72 but maybe I need to sell them to finance 2 Chandlers then.....I use the C24 or the SM69(tube) as my main drum microphone/overhead and I imagine from what you're saying it'll be love at first sound. I'm just so short on rack space.....Oh well.
Old 24th March 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmmer417 View Post
I'll have to bump this thread because I'm about to pull the trigger on Redd 47 and wanted to know a little bit more on this pre.

So I've been researching and hearing some of the great examples which I liked a lot. I definitely hear that vintage British vibe/color which was common throughout these examples but I'm also wondering if it can give very clean/transparent option and if it can, how is the sound on clean/transparent side.
I remember hearing branch II being more on the transparent side which I also enjoyed a lot.

Any input guys?
Below is one of my posts from another thread on getting clean from the Redd47 pre tracking vocals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
The Redd47 pre is sensitive to the input level. A hot signal coming in can push the circuit into saturation and even distortion - even when the gain knob is at a modest level.

I have been using the rack Redd47 with the Pearlman TM47. The Pearlman puts out a fairly hot signal. To keep it clean i would run it with the redd47's pad on. The Redd47 rack pre comes with a 20db pad switch. However, unless I wanted it super clean, 20db was overkill. So I purchased inline pads (to go between the mic and pre) - I have a 10 and 15db inline pad. And, depending on the song and the sound I wanted, I would choose the amount of pad to use (none, 10, 15 or 20). Also how loud the song is to be sung and the distance between the singer and mic needs to be factored in (as well as whether the mic is on or off axis, etc., etc.).
The strength of the unit is adding color, thickness and 3Dness while still retaining really good detail. However, you can get a "fairly clean" signal by keeping the levels an gain modest -- it will still add some thickness and 3Dness. It cannot do Grace or GML level clean.
Old 25th November 2018
  #18
i have the redd47/rs124 combo and the branch ii

i honestly prefer the branch for what i do - mostly record rap vocals. i do like running the branch into the redd47 and overdriving it

the chandler combo is more open for sure and it approaches the thickness of the branch with the fine gain turned up high on the 47... but the branch is indeed thicker and more "noble" sounding to my ears. the fact you can get a stereo pair of the branch for the price of the chandler combo makes it a no-brainer

if i did pop - i'd prefer the chandler combo.


Last edited by musaee; 25th November 2018 at 05:05 PM..
Old 25th November 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Tree is a hi-fi, clean unit à la Vac Rac.

I need a heavy tube modus sound.

The heaviest tube modus I have found is the Kerwax Replica. Major vacuum tube goodness.

Increases Girth

Heavy hyper reality sound

Thickens and pleasurizes.

What else suggestions ya got for heavy tube modus??
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump