The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think about all these classic consoles getting chopped and racked?
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Head

What do you think about all these classic consoles getting chopped and racked?

What are your thoughts on all these classic consoles like Neve, Quad Eight... etc. being scavenged for their pre's and eq's? Does it break your heart to hear about these boards being parted out?
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

At least they're getting loved and used, right?
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Sad but inevitable.
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy the moment.
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear
I think it's a travesty. There is a lot of history in some of these boards, but as someone else said, at least they are still living on in some capacity.
Old 13th June 2016
Fletcher at Mercenary Audio was doing it 20 years ago

Still see those Racks in the field
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

I think it's sad, but at the same time I wouldn't have the pre/eq's/channel strips I own that have the sound I love if they didn't get parted out. I think it's a great thing to be able to keep them going in that aspect.

Now anyone could have a piece of classic sound. There's nothing like the real thing. Not that the clones, etc... are bad. There is something about owning a slice of Rock n Roll history that is very cool!
Old 13th June 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

Consoles have always been a large collection of channel strips, and the channels themselves a collection of individual components.

For a lot of people, the workflow of a large-format console just doesn't make sense any longer. I worked on consoles for years, and went kicking and screaming into computer/hybrid systems. But the dust has settled, and the computer-based systems have come into their own. I don't miss working on consoles at all.

Over 10 years ago, we chopped up a 36-channel API console, and liberated the sweet preamps and EQs—with hand-built Huntington and Melville 2520 opamps.

I see it as taking the best and most important parts of the consoles, and making them into more modern and relevant tools. And whereas a single console was only part of one studio, the individual components can be put to use in many studio systems.

Hey, and be glad we can still make use of the technology. A lot of recording gear and technologies have come and gone, and have wound up in scrap yards.

Last edited by Dot; 13th June 2016 at 08:27 PM..
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

I think it sucks but the industry id dictating budgets so it is what it is now. No way are you getting that console sound from a few channel strips.
Old 13th June 2016
It seems like a great idea until you figure out you need the rest of the console.
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraplord View Post
What are your thoughts on all these classic consoles like Neve, Quad Eight... etc. being scavenged for their pre's and eq's? Does it break your heart to hear about these boards being parted out?
Not at all. I spent a good portion of my first few years in LA doing graveyard-shift overdub sessions on gigantic consoles. Using one fader. Some of those things would throw up enough heat, it was like working in a foundry. Walked into the control room one night to find a meatball sub sitting lengthwise on faders 1-6. Drummer was keeping it warm while he and the guitarist were doing blow down around faders 11-18.
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Not at all. I spent a good portion of my first few years in LA doing graveyard-shift overdub sessions on gigantic consoles. Using one fader. Some of those things would throw up enough heat, it was like working in a foundry. Walked into the control room one night to find a meatball sub sitting lengthwise on faders 1-6. Drummer was keeping it warm while he and the guitarist were doing blow down around faders 11-18.
Seems counterintuitive. I would think that the blow would make the drummer not want the meatball sub anymore.
Man, I could go for a meatball sub right now...
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
Seems counterintuitive. I would think that the blow would make the drummer not want the meatball sub anymore.
Man, I could go for a meatball sub right now...
And I can go for a BLAST!

Hahahaha just kidding
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Seems a shame but real classic consoles will have had 100,000+ hours of music making under their faders - they've done their job! If they can't earn their keep and collectors or museums aren't interested at least they can be parted and still be useful to someone. Thats much better than ending up as coke cans and landfill.

That said if I ever hear that eg. the last Air Neve is on ebay as badly built 1U channels I'll shed a tear.
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraplord View Post
Over the years I've enjoyed some of Brent Averill's concoctions. His work gives many a taste of Neve, whereas the console left intact could end up in a collectors warehouse. And believe me, there's droves of great vintage gear stored away. So, yes, "long live Brent Averill !!"
Old 14th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And of course, if the whole desk isn't being used regularly and/or checked, you come to a large session to find multiple tech problems with the rarely used channels!

That said I still prefer to track on a desk - the odd knackered routing module and all.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 14th June 2016 at 11:58 AM..
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear
It's like a Victorian mansion being carved into studio apartments. Civilization just gets broker and broker…
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Dealers breaking up Neve 80 series / bcm 10's in 2016 for profit is depressing..
There aren't that many left now, and there are so many choices for consumers
available to purchase by AMS, BAE etc.. I'd imagine their huge turnover
profit in a year is from new gear sales and installs elsewhere, to break up a few a year seems just greedy to me..
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

OP are you talking about splitting where people are cutting down large format consoles and making them into 16x0x2 sidecars? Or 19" rack units?

I for one think the first idea is perfect for so many people who want high end gear, but don't have the need or space for more channels.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search