The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Converting a DBX 161 into a 160Vu
Old 13th June 2016
Here for the gear

Converting a DBX 161 into a 160Vu

Same exact guts and PCB, the 161 was designed to be interfaced with unbalanced equipment and the 160vu in a balanced studio environment.

The output stage of the 160vu runs on +/-26 voltage rails and I've always thought it sounded good. Adds a bit of beef and girth to the sound The input stage is nice as well, great RF protection and No coupling capacitors.

So go snagg some 161s and get your tech to mod em, or fire up a soldering iron.
The cost of parts is about 10$

(RIP ebay prices)

Heres your Roadmap
https://i.imgsafe.org/e5c71c13eb.jpg

CHAZZZZZZ
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

I just heard a 161 and am very familiar with the 160vu, the 160 sounded deeper/thicker great compressor.
Old 13th June 2016
A 160VU asymetrical output stage will clip at +21 dbu. A 161 modified with an inverter output will clip at +27 dbu, 6 db more headroom than the 160VU.

The output opamp on the 160VU runs at + - 16 volts. That can be upped to + - 22 volts so a higher voltage opamp can be used to increase headroom.
Old 13th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
A 160VU asymetrical output stage will clip at +21 dbu. A 161 modified with an inverter output will clip at +27 dbu, 6 db more headroom than the 160VU.

The output opamp on the 160VU runs at + - 16 volts. That can be upped to + - 22 volts so a higher voltage opamp can be used to increase headroom.
The output stage takes a tap off the power supply pre regulator which the schematic says is 24v but in practice I've found it to be more 26-8v
Old 14th June 2016
I've seen it vary from 23 to 29 volts. There are a pair of 2.2k dropping resistors to lower that voltage to the opamp, a LM301. Those resistors are changed to deliver + - 22 volts to a high voltage opamp. That will increase output drive and headroom. Additional large capacitance is used to lower AC ripple of the unregulated rails to 20 mv. With the 90+ db PSRR of the opamp, the outputs are then free of any rippple and are very quiet. The VCA hiss then dominates the noise floor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search