The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dangerous Convert vs. Burl B2/Mothership...sonics
Old 11th June 2016
Gear Nut

Dangerous Convert vs. Burl B2/Mothership...sonics

Dangerous Convert or Burl B2 which one sounds better? seriously...

I'm about to invest in some new conversion- After some research, the Dangerous Convert-2, Convert-8 & the Burl B2/Mothership seem to aim for the same "analog-y" target and elicit similar fawning, gushing reactions. Although I have heard both pieces in different rooms, in diffferent cities, on different days, I've never had the opportunity to hear them side by side.

If anyone has direct experience with a side by side (or closer than I have!) I'd LOVE to hear your opinions!

*I'm not necessarily limiting my question to a DAC/reference scenario (but that would be my application)....I AM really only curious about gut-level sonic impressions.

Last edited by juniorexploder; 11th June 2016 at 10:10 PM..
Old 12th June 2016
Gear Addict

I can comment. I have a B80 mothership, B32, B2ADC and the Convert 2 DAC. I love the Burl sound and can listen to both. The Convert2 was sent to me just just to use in the interm for a DAC. It's not going back. Listen to it in your room, see if it helps with what you hear and feel right about. I believe the Convert sound is complimented by the Burl input, output and summing.
Old 12th June 2016
Deleted User
Allen Farmelo feels the Dangerous sounds even better than Burl.
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear
Convert 2 is amazingly good - I mean wow! It may be Chris Muth's greatest creation yet - which is saying something with the string of hits he has had in the past. My comparison is to the Apogee Symphony I/O - which is no slouch, also excellent converters.

Full disclosure: I have never compared the Convert to a Burl - so I can not comment on comparisons between the two.
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
I can comment. I have a B80 mothership, B32, B2ADC and the Convert 2 DAC. I love the Burl sound and can listen to both. The Convert2 was sent to me just just to use in the interm for a DAC. It's not going back. Listen to it in your room, see if it helps with what you hear and feel right about. I believe the Convert sound is complimented by the Burl input, output and summing.
Thanks for the comments, And thanks bzone,- a testimonial to owning BOTH really appeals to my sensibilties! (lord knows, my pocketbook may differ ) I did just buy a Burl MS 4/8 and Grace M905 analog, and I think the Convert 2 would be a sweet DAC for monitoring duties! After that- I'm set for life! (...or next year at the very earliest)
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorexploder View Post
Thanks for the comments, And thanks bzone,- a testimonial to owning BOTH really appeals to my sensibilties! (lord knows, my pocketbook may differ ) I did just buy a Burl MS 4/8 and Grace M905 analog, and I think the Convert 2 would be a sweet DAC for monitoring duties! After that- I'm set for life! (...or next year at the very earliest)
It will be interesting what your ears tell you. However, as far as being set? I've been involved in this audio world since 1968 and have always wished that I could have been set with what I needed. The Gear Gods have now heard you! Be prepared to open your wallet very soon! Again!
Old 16th October 2016
Gear Addict

is the sound quality is same for convert 2 and 8?
thanks
Old 9th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firubbi View Post
is the sound quality is same for convert 2 and 8?
thanks
Yes!

I just got the Burl ADC, I like what I hear, better than my apogee or UAD stuff (haven’t heard the dangerous) but I get the feeling it may be more suited for rock than EDM, rnb pop. You can slam it and get a nice sound from the transformers, but again that tends to lend itself to the rock domain imho.
Old 11th March 2018
CONVERT2/8 are amazing!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search