The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BURL DAC. What is it used for?
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear
300 watt power supply

My B80 Mothership (16/16) was purchased in May, 2016 and came with a 300 watt power supply.
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear
Big question: I got a 2192 from UA (same designer of Burls) and bought a B2 ADC that I use instead of the 2192's AD side (B2 is in another league). Wonder if there are similar BIG differences on the DA side too (I think they will not be as evident as in the AD side). Hope someone can instruct me on this
Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
Big question: I got a 2192 from UA (same designer of Burls) and bought a B2 ADC that I use instead of the 2192's AD side (B2 is in another league). Wonder if there are similar BIG differences on the DA side too (I think they will not be as evident as in the AD side). Hope someone can instruct me on this
Thanks!
I also have a 2192 and a B2 ADC...but not a Burl DAC so I don't feel qualified to answer. But if it helps I can say this: compared to the 2192 DA, the Dangerous Convert is roughly as big a step up as the Burl is on the AD side.
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rami Hashash View Post
Where did you get the information that the Mothership is limited to 16 channels of DAC??
its not limited. but the power supply needs to be a little bit more powerful. like another 200W worth.

the power supply gets saggy after 2 dac cards installed. the adc cards don't yank the current like the dac cards do.

I did actually confirm this with the manufacturer and they said that the recommended number of output cards that should be loaded is 2. 3 works, but it approaches the maximum capacity of the power supply (I measured almost a volt drop difference when the 3rd card is plugged in).

Needless to say, I have 4 out modules and 4 in modules, I ended up racking up a power supply that had twice the capacity for the DOA power and looped it into the original power supply so it can feed through the power harness with the rest of the voltages. I would have rather stick another power in on the mother ship itself but I chose to mod the power supply mod because I really didn't want to cut and re-route traces on the main board.

Even though the power supply mod worked, if they sold the 2 slot chassis back when I got it I would have bought two 2 slots boxes and fill them with the DACs and fill the 10 slot chassis with ADC cards.

I have been thinking about upgrading to dac cards in into 2 slot boxes so I can relocate the DACs into a different rack.

Last edited by drtechno; 6th September 2016 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: upgrade comment
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Wasn't DAC the dude who sat in the back seat of Luke's snow speeder?

I guess Burl was his first name.
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Addict

has anyone else has this experience of not being able to run 24 in /36 out without beefing up the mothership powersupply?
Old 7th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
has anyone else has this experience of not being able to run 24 in /36 out without beefing up the mothership powersupply?
I think you could search every post here plus out on the interwebs and never hear of anything like what he's saying about the Burl Mothership or their recommendations.

Regardless, if you have any concerns, just contact Will Kahn via their web site. He's quick to answer questions and their service is incredible in general.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Will picks up the phone too and sorted me out in a bind!
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

News to me about the power supply. I'm running 3 output cards. Maybe Burl will see this thread and add some info.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

I've got three outputs as well..no issues other than my farking noisy fan!

Would really love a way to get the psu out of my room or super quiet fan. Apparently the psu cable can't be made longer than its current 1ft length.
Old 7th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I've got three outputs as well..no issues other than my farking noisy fan!

Would really love a way to get the psu out of my room or super quiet fan. Apparently the psu cable can't be made longer than its current 1ft length.
Assuming you tried adjusting the fan manually? I remember reading something on that in the manual for noise issues.
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

Not yet.. Just wary that it mightn't produce enough cooling as opposed to a true more silent fan that can still cool and be quiet at same time.

Ideally I'd like a 12 foot psu cable to stick outside my room.
Old 16th September 2016
Here for the gear

I've got 6 DA cards running here with no noticeable problem.
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear
Hello Doc Maxwell was banned. If you would like to talk about converters and he knows about converters. Contact Adam at dspdocter.com. take care
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Not yet.. Just wary that it mightn't produce enough cooling as opposed to a true more silent fan that can still cool and be quiet at same time.

Ideally I'd like a 12 foot psu cable to stick outside my room.
I have my power supply in the machine room with a 5m cable. I haven't noticed any problems. I always had it like that though, so I'm not really sure

So you think having a long cable would affect performance? The guys at funky junk who made my cable said it would probably be alright with a 5m cable.

By the way, will at burl said I could disable the fans if I have 3 cards or less. Currently I only have 3 cards. 4 in 16out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search