The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion Amp100 VS Amp500 for One18's Studio Monitors
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Amphion Amp100 VS Amp500 for One18's

I was at a local store recently and was highly recommended the amp500 for the one18's. However I've spent some time online tonight doing some research and it seems like some people prefer the amp100 over the amp500 for the one18's. One person said that with the amp100 he felt as if the top-end was a little more open but the Amp500 bottom end was a little more full. I'm hoping someone here will shine a light on this for me and explain to me the difference I can expect between both and why one is preferred over the other.

Im sure the answers are in that massive Amphion thread but I can't go searching through over 4000 replies. Call me lazy but that's just crazy.

Thanks
Old 7th June 2016
bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I was at a local store recently and was highly recommended the amp500 for the one18's. However I've spent some time online tonight doing some research and it seems like some people prefer the amp100 over the amp500 for the one18's. One person said that with the amp100 he felt as if the top-end was a little more open but the Amp500 bottom end was a little more full. I'm hoping someone here will shine a light on this for me and explain to me the difference I can expect between both and why one is preferred over the other.

Im sure the answers are in that massive Amphion thread but I can't go searching through over 4000 replies. Call me lazy but that's just crazy.

Thanks
I'd like to know as well
Old 7th June 2016
Gear Maniac
I tried both for my One18's and ended up with the Amp500. Both are great but the low end is more open and clear with the 500. I was sad that was the case because I was in no position to spend the extra money, but alas, I did anyway. No regrets now.
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

^^^ Thanks

Anyone else have experience with both?
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Not really. But at some point I met with some friends to compare speakers. One of them brought his one18s with an Amphion amp. I don´t remember which amp, though. We had a brandnew SPL performer S800 poweramp (in prototype stage back then) available and swapped the amps. We were floored.... the SPL blew the Amphion amp out of the window. It´s a long time ago that I heard such a difference in poweramps. The SPL is surely one of the very best poweramps available. Not cheap, though, but worth every penny.
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
Not really. But at some point I met with some friends to compare speakers. One of them brought his one18s with an Amphion amp. I don´t remember which amp, though. We had a brandnew SPL performer S800 poweramp (in prototype stage back then) available and swapped the amps. We were floored.... the SPL blew the Amphion amp out of the window. It´s a long time ago that I heard such a difference in poweramps. The SPL is surely one of the very best poweramps available. Not cheap, though, but worth every penny.
Interesting. If it was the Amp100 with the One18, then perhaps it could've been a drive issue. If it was the Amp500 getting beat, then that's another thing. Makes me consider things for One15...
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

I've heard the amp500 is the way to go with the one18s. I haven't actually heard the 100 by when I had one18s for a month I really loved the amp500. The SPL thing is interesting, I hadn't heard of this amp.

I plan on getting one15s soon as a B pair for my scm45s and I'm wondering if the amp100 is the way to go
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Nut
You could consider the Abacus 60-120D dolifet also 990€. Search the forum for more input. I use it with my Buchardt Audio S300 mk2 monitors and this combo sounds beyond anything i've put my ears to (and my hearing is still doing pretty good from 20hz-16000 It has XLR in, sturdy binding posts, auto on/off and a passive volume. Some people preferred this to the Amp100. Cheapest would of course be to just build your own Amp500 if you want AMS series | Anaview
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I've used both the Amp100 and Amp500 with my One18's, and to be totally honest, at the levels I usually work at--usually between 60 and 80dB--I almost couldn't tell the difference! Headroom was great with both. The 500 had slightly more low weight. I didn't do any room measuring to compare them (someone hopefully will on this thread), but the differences were so small to me that I happily sent the 500 back.

In the end I got two of the little Mono Amp100s, which no one ever seems to talk about or even notice. They're sonically identical to the stereo Amp100, but since they are so small and light, you can think of them as creating more of a powered speaker kind of configuration, and then you don't need long speaker cable runs.

Amp100 mono | Amphion
Attached Thumbnails
Amphion Amp100 VS Amp500 for One18's-mono-amp100.jpg  

Last edited by Lars Fox; 9th June 2016 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: added link for Amp100 Mono
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Fox View Post
I've used both the Amp100 and Amp500 with my One18's, and to be totally honest, at the levels I usually work at--usually between 60 and 80dB--I almost couldn't tell the difference! Headroom was great with both. The 500 had slightly more low weight. I didn't do any room measuring to compare them (someone hopefully will on this thread), but the differences were so small to me that I happily sent the 500 back.

In the end I got two of the little Mono Amp100s, which no one ever seems to talk about or even notice. They're sonically identical to the stereo Amp100, but since they are so small and light, you can think of them as creating more of a powered speaker kind of configuration, and then you don't need long speaker cable runs.

Amp100 mono | Amphion
Slightly off topic, but how do you like the desktop Sound Anchors?
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
Slightly off topic, but how do you like the desktop Sound Anchors?
They're great! Well built, totally indestructible, heavy as can be. You can put your speakers precisely where you want them to be, and they'll stay there.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

Looks like you have those Amphions butted up against your wall. How does that work out for you?
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
They're great! Well built, totally indestructible, heavy as can be. You can put your speakers precisely where you want them to be, and they'll stay there.
Thanks!

I currently have the Isoacoustics, but have noticed that while they improve imaging and clarity, they do take something away at the same time. I like my cinder blocks better.

BTW I saw that these are supposed to be filled from the factory, does the desk still vibrate, and to what extent? Just want to get a rough idea. Thanks!
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Guru

Tried both.
Went w the 500.
More volume and headroom.
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
Thanks!

BTW I saw that these are supposed to be filled from the factory, does the desk still vibrate, and to what extent? Just want to get a rough idea. Thanks!
They are indeed filled at the factory, and weigh a lot! There is no vibration on the desk at all.

Sorry to go off topic, back to the amps!
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Looks like you have those Amphions butted up against your wall. How does that work out for you?
They aren't actually--there is a 4" thick panel about 8" behind them, and there's another 4" behind that. And then to the left is a slightly angled cloth panel covering a well of trapping that is about 16" thick. So the speakers are actually about 16" and 20" from hard surfaces.

Even with all that I need to address a bunch of issues between 65hz and 220. Above that it's fairly even.
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Amp100 mono | Amphion
Those little sound anchors are adorable

I just got the big ADJ2 sound anchors and I'm so impressed with them. Such a worthwhile investment. They are so useful and such tanks, and they actually improve the sound. I only got them because I needed something sturdy for my ATC scm45s. Now that I know what they're like, I wish I had gotten them a long time ago.

Tangent over.
Old 10th June 2016
Quote:

Amp100 mono | Amphion

OMG its CUTE!!!

Thanks alot for making me want one mate
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Head

I spent a couple of days with One18, Amp100 and Amp500.
Amp500 sounds like more beefy and relaxed, Amp100 is more transparent and high accentuated for me. In my room at moderate levels the difference is VERY subtle though! Room measuring shows almost no difference as well. I don't think the choice of the amp will have any effect on your mixes either ))

So my choice was quite pragmatic and I will go for Amp100.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

I thought the Two18 sounded better with the passlabs x150. Class D sounded cold and less organic in comparison.
Old 5th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I thought the Two18 sounded better with the passlabs x150. Class D sounded cold and less organic in comparison.

I am not an amphion user though, but
I use the spl s800 with my Strauss Nf-3.
i came from abscus 60-120c to hypex ucd and then ncore. and from hypex to s800.

The spl amp plays in another league imo.
It just sounds relaxed, sovereign, very dynamic and detailed.
Highly recommended.
Old 5th November 2017
Here for the gear

Asked Anssi the same question a while ago. He replied

„The best way to compare Amp100 and Amp500 is car analogy. Hope you get
what I mean.

Amp100 is 1.8 turbo petrol engine. It is smooth, revs nicely all the way
up, responds quickly.
Amp500 is 3 liter diesel. You really do not care how many horsepower it
has as the 500 Nm of torque“

I tried both and ended up with the 500 for the slightly more ‚muscular‘ low end. Differences are small though. I do mostly electronic music and listen at fairly low levels.
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone compare bryston sst with the amp 500?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search