The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What’s good for different flavours of density?
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear
What’s good for different flavours of density?

I’m looking for a versatile thickening box but I’m not sure it exists and I’m hoping you guys can tell me.
I think it’s probably a limiter but it could also be a clipper/saturator type thing. I tend to prefer the latter for this type of job so maybe that’s where I should be looking but I’m basically after something that can give me different flavours of density.

When I say density, on one hand I’m talking kind of LA2A style goo-ey thickening. I’ll often use an LA2A without any peak reduction and just push the gain on them till the low mids bloom and make stuff sound like its been on the creatine. I hate to use the word warm but that’s what I’m thinking. Big and ‘lo-mid forward’ but still robust.

On the other hand I’d like it to be able to still do dense but less of the goo and more hard and edgy. Kinda like an L2 brickwall type thing but more analog. Probably more weighted to hi-mids in relation to the other one but not raspy and harsh. Does that make sense?

I should probably add that I'm looking for something to round off [or even squash completely] transients/spikes

Ideally I’d like something dual-mono but if it’s only available in mono I’ll just get 2 haha

Any suggestions?

Last edited by woodfoot; 7th June 2016 at 02:47 AM..
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

to my ear, the peak sensing button on ssl dynamics sort of sounds like the l2, but more analogue. i'm talking about individual tracks, to be clear. you'll certainly get squash.
Old 7th June 2016
The AMTEC Audio 099 is REALLY good for that, and has "different flavors of density" on tap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZI1ABoSzoY

You might also try out Amtec's DST-5A distortion module for some of what you are looking to do. Its like an "attitude finder"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOP_hqSvBrQ
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear
Thanks guys

This was actually going to be my last purchase before putting money away for an SSL AWS console so if the compressors on there do what I'm looking for maybe I could just skip this.
I may get a pair of x rack modules in the meantime to see if it's what I'm looking for.

The amtecs look good. I think the 099 is more what I'm looking for but only at the longer release times. It's a little rough round the edges at lower settings [as you would expect] but that worries me that it's not going to be as versatile as I would want. I'll check it out tho. I presume this is a mono box? Couldn't find that in the info but would have expected it to say if it was stereo
Old 7th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
I presume this is a mono box?
Yes, the 099 is a Single Channel Box
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys

This was actually going to be my last purchase before putting money away for an SSL AWS console so if the compressors on there do what I'm looking for maybe I could just skip this.
I may get a pair of x rack modules in the meantime to see if it's what I'm looking for.

The amtecs look good. I think the 099 is more what I'm looking for but only at the longer release times. It's a little rough round the edges at lower settings [as you would expect] but that worries me that it's not going to be as versatile as I would want. I'll check it out tho. I presume this is a mono box? Couldn't find that in the info but would have expected it to say if it was stereo
nice one. you want a couple of extra dynamics modules to go with the aws.
Old 10th June 2016
Lives for gear
What are some good saturator type things like for this job?

I'm thinking stuff like Overstayer MAS, Mammoth cave, Fatso

I know they're all different boxes sonically but I feel like that's more the kind of thing I'm looking for. Am I right?
Old 10th June 2016
Quote:
What are some good saturator type things like for this job?

I'm thinking stuff like Overstayer MAS, Mammoth cave, Fatso

I know they're all different boxes sonically but I feel like that's more the kind of thing I'm looking for. Am I right?
As some long departed sage once said, talking about audio is like dancing about architecture. But yeah, sounds like the kind of thing you are after (though I'm not sure one box does everything). Maybe add a thermionic culture vulture and a Shadow Hills mastering compressor to your list?
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Thick saturating warmth in different flavors ...that'd be eqp1's and BA6A's, for starters.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search