The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mults... Opinions/Experiences,etc
Old 27th January 2004
Lives for gear

Mults... Opinions/Experiences,etc

I'm curious as to how many of us are using mults when mixing...?

Care to share your experiences and what has worked/not worked with you in the past?

Especially with those using PT + outboard to mix...
Old 27th January 2004
Gear Nut

I use mults for "problem" sounds. I recently recorded a vocalist who had a very boomy/midrangy voice -- I was having trouble getting any high end in the voice so that it would be audible over the instruments. His voice just didn't have any treble in it. It really called for a bright tube mic like a C12, but I don't have one.

I tried everything, including multi-band compression. Finally I did a mult. The 2cd track had a radical high-pass filter (Waves LinEQ to avoid phase cancellation issues, very important with mults IMO) and it was smashed with the UAD 1176 plug. The 2cd track was turned up just a little bit, and both tracks were sent to a group for EQ. I used the EQ to scoop out the mids a little, used a tiny bit of de-essing, and I had a gorgeous vocal sound.

I've used mults on "problem" snares, where there's too much HH leakage. Track 1 is darker and has a longer decay on the gate, track 2 is brighter and has a shorter decay on the gate. Again, Waves LinEQ comes in handy for this.
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Guru

There are a few instances that I find mults to be useful. First is if I'm trying to add presence and/or additional tone. recently i've run BD and SD mults. Alone the mult tone might not be great, but they added to the general tone of the instrument. I might for instance have a BD mult that's mostly attack. I add it into the fuller tone that I have going instead of adding more attack EQ to what I already have.

i also like to use mults for effect sends. I sometimes like to send one word to a delay. I put the vocal on a mult and automate the mute on that channel and have it going to the delay. Muting the delay doesn't work the same becaus the unit is getting all of the works, even when it's output if muted.

If you consider buss compression/parallell compression a mult, I do that a bunch too...

I'm working on a console, so I can't comment on plug-ins and all that is associated with them.
Old 28th January 2004
Lives for gear

Right now I have a drum mult with a C2. It gives me a little more "room" to the drums. The overheads aren't multed. They got the 747 with a bit of compression and its wonderful EQ (I love this EQ).
A lot of efx-sends are multed - I like the flexibility you get when you can automate your sends

happy multing - Jo
Old 28th January 2004
Mults r good n' kay?

Use em all the time in the PT mixer via 'copy tracks' - distort those or compress em wildly - blend in

1) Send a snare & kick to a drum buss compress that a little

2) Send a copy to an outboard eq (Neve 1073!) and beef that up - blend in

Carefull! Attention to sample acurate phase is required!!! tutt

Old 28th January 2004
Lives for gear

Drumwise, more than strict mults, I'm likely to layer up different samples to cover different aspects of a sound (say an 808 for that sharp attack, something else for the meat, something else for the thump).

To quote Pete Rock interpolating Rakim:

"I take seven ill drums put 'em in a line
And add seven more snares to make it combine
It'll take seven more horns before I start to rhyme
Now that's twenty-one beats made up at the same time"

Peece,
T. Tauri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search