The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell UM705 Condenser Microphones
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Gefell UM705

Anyone use this mic and have any comments on it. Noice floor etc.

Id be interested in its suitability as a voice over mic. Mostly on male voices to create a big sound.

thanks !

Dave
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Anyone use this mic and have any comments on it. Noice floor etc.

Id be interested in its suitability as a voice over mic. Mostly on male voices to create a big sound.

thanks !

Dave
I have a MG UMT800, which is the successor to the MG UM705. I've never used the 705. The UMT800 is as great mic for my uses (acoustic and classical guitar). From it's performance, I would suspect it would be good for many things (this is MG's claim on the website).
Ty Ford, a known VO personality, reviewed the UMT800 on his site.
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks very much for this info,

Dave
Old 12th February 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

The 705 has always interested me. It seems to be a better version of a UM70. Both share M7 capsule but the UMT800 is transformerless and the 705 has a transformer.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/G View Post
The 705 has always interested me. It seems to be a better version of a UM70. Both share M7 capsule but the UMT800 is transformerless and the 705 has a transformer.
Are you sure that the 705 does have the M7 capsule ?
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave Octavio View Post
Are you sure that the 705 does have the M7 capsule ?
Yes it does. We have 3 UM705s at the studio. They do sound great although the figure 8 pattern is kinda weird. These pics suffer from the ground issue of needing the mic cable housing attached to ground. Dr Bill has a thread on it .
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Yes it does. We have 3 UM705s at the studio. They do sound great although the figure 8 pattern is kinda weird. These pics suffer from the ground issue of needing the mic cable housing attached to ground. Dr Bill has a thread on it .
In what way is the figure of eight weird ?

I would use a p48 cable converter, do you think it would still suffer grounding issues?

Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They do sound great although the figure 8 pattern is kinda weird.
The M7 has a single backplate and glued on membranes. This can can make it tricky to match the front and back of the capsule.

Not saying that's the problem here, mind. Just thinking out loud.
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
These pics suffer from the ground issue of needing the mic cable housing attached to ground. Dr Bill has a thread on it .

Quote:
I would use a p48 cable converter, do you think it would still suffer grounding issues?

Thanks
It's an RFI issue, and taking the audio ground to chassis seems to solve the problem. I would NEVER hesitate to buy a Gefell UM70 because of it. They are wonderful mics. The RFI problems for me were intermittent, and location oriented. In my new studio I have zero problems, and have not used these cable adapters once. That said, they are SIMPLE, easy and cheap to build and offer that extra insurance that you won't have a errant mexican radio station cutting into one of your precious one time only takes.

Here's the scoop -

Gefell Owners/Users - What you need to know....
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In what way is the figure of eight weird ?

Thanks
its just kinda light sounding. Maybe the sound is favored on one side of the 8 than the other. Oddly the UM705s sound good in omni. Not sure what is going on here.
As for RFI, try it. If there is noise RFI Mexican radio going on then try Dr Bills suggestion. Which worked great for me. I have a couple special made cables just for those mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search