The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are good inputs necessary in today's technology if an external preamp is used? Audio Interfaces
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Maniac

Are good inputs necessary in today's technology if an external preamp is used?

I have some high quality preamps/outboard and considering today's technology, are the inputs on today's cheaper audio interface (eg. Focusrite scarlette) good enough to feed your preamps through and still obtain high quality recordings?

Which would give me the best quality, feeding a neve preamp to the mic in at +4 very low gain or line in +4 (very low gain?)on an audio interface which has mic and line inputs?

I have heard of using low gain to bypass the internal preamps of a camera when recording audio, not sure if the same principle applies in general?

I was considering the babyface pro but after thinking about it, I am not sure whether the higher price is necessary if I can obtain the same quality with an external preamp using a Focusrite Scarlette. I understand there is an issue of the AD conversion, but how much of a difference is it?

Thanks.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

The converters on newer low end interfaces are not too bad. They will not really mess things up too bad. High end converters will step the quality up a bit.

If you are using an external mic pre you want to go into the +4 line input of your interface.
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

Good Audio gear is just good Audio gear. Though...A Great Song....Is a damn Phucking great Song no matter the Audio gear, so really it's a game of degrees and percentages and what you want to send out as you're work etc!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search