The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best rack effects Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 31st May 2016
Here for the gear
Best rack effects

Looking into going rack for my effects. Have too many pedals and just think makes more sensento go rack. What is the best rack effects out there? Sunaco? I think,,, eventide lexicon or os there smetbing way bettet i dont know of? Please get involved and lets get to the best of the best rack effects possible. Want to be ablento run to a DAW computer, presonus logic etc so a usb is a plus but not needed. Also run to a mixing console so must be able to do so.

What do you think?
Old 31st May 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

Hey, what's your budget?

What kind of console are you using?

"The best of the best" will get expensive quite fast.

What kind of "best" do you have in mind?
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Head

Effects racks can get expensive. Very very expensive.
Second hand is a good option, but buyer beware.
I personally went for the TC Electronics Fireworx, and hands down is the best bang for buck. BUT, its old now, and most laptops can have a thousand times more effects with plug ins, but to my ears the Fireworx effects sound great. It has the ability to route modulations to effects to. Very versatile but you will only want another one when it runs out of processing power. I use some pedals as well, to compliment the Fireworx. For instance the reverbs on the fireworx are very nice and natural and since I make electronica I don't need them as much as say an eventide reverb for spacey reverbs. So I would only use reverbs on fireworx for say a drum bus or such, as they sound realistic.
Other boxes include D2 and the multitap delay rack.

The reason I got a fireworx was because I can not afford the HW8000 https://www.eventideaudio.com/produc...ffects/h8000fw
This is the top notch unit I want, but wont be able to afford. Also the Orville and Eclipse are other options to. Hope your rich, and if your really rich buy me one to, thanks
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

H3000 is still something that put a smile on my face
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

Well, computer plug in's and their FX Algos are very plentiful, though Hardware Effects units certainly can and do impart a very definitive and certain sound many allude to and appreciate, like Dynamics and Preamps alongside microphones, certain "Effect units" from older type Lexicon and Eventide units that are near universally considered classics would be:

H3000
PCM 70/80/81
M300
Assorted DDL Lines from Lex, Korg, Roland, Bel, AMS and others, naturally including Phasers, Flangers, Pitch shifters, and other resonant type effects.

These...can and do make a definite tangible difference to the sound you are going to capture be it DAW or Hard Disk or Analog, and there is a very good reason units like the Bricasti and Eventide DDL 500 series exist Even in this day and age. Mathematics and the algorithmic debate regarding Hardware/Plug in's...might still be going for the simple reason that Hardware possibly imparts a frequency and conversion difference that plug in's simply can't account for.

And while I love the stuff made by Valhalla DSP and SoundToys, if they'd been made in this day and age with today's technology the difference between the hardware and software I doubt would not be that huge! So like anything you really need to try certain units and see what exactly suits you and your workflow? I certainly also would Not discount older 1983/4 type Reverb and Delay units simply for their colour and Bit depth or lack of...! Often it's the horrible mean looking old Delay unit for 100$ bucks that saves the day!

Good luck!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search