The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speck lilo vs yamaha or2 Mixers (Digital)
Old 29th May 2016
Gear Head

Speck lilo vs yamaha or2

Hi

Has anyone compared the Speck lilo vs yamaha or2 vs control surfaces by protools.

Looking for at least 16 channels without colour from a desk and would assist in mixing down.

The Yamaha is cheaper with more bells and whistles like recall but the preamps are a issue and you would need to bypass these.

Is there any other choices?

Cheers
Old 29th May 2016
Gear Head

HI

Anyone out there
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I've been using the Lilo for a couple of years so I will try to answer, if I understand what you're getting at. Do you mean the Yamaha O2r that's like from the late 90s? The Lilo is an analog mixer that I would classify as very neutral, transparent, it has no form of automation so it wouldn't assist in mixing down as say a console with moving faders etc. It has no onboard EQs, or mic pres, just line inputs. The concept would be you do all the automation stuff in your DAW and then sum/monitor and/or incorporate the use of additional analog outboard gear through the Lilo. The Yamaha O2r (if that's what you mean) is a digital automated desk from a very long time ago that I would say is more or less obsolete ( a year ago I discarded/recycled a Panasonic DA7 digital mixer that I think came out later than the O2r as its value was basically negative $0 and I must say it felt a little silly to have thought this thing was ever any good). I would say the O2r is nowhere near as "clean" or "quiet" as the Lilo. I would also risk claiming that its AD/DA conversion is outdated by modern standards and I think you are limited to 16bit/48kHz or 44.1kHz. So these are completely different products and I don't know why you would compare them. It all boils down to your workflow if you want to incorporate an analog mixer/summer with your DAW or if you want to sum in the box at which point you should be looking at some kind of control surface that usually adds knobs and faders to accomplish your digital mix. Hope this helps.
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Head

Hi

Yes I did mean the Yamaha O2r desk.

Yes this does answer the question well.

From a different angle if one had a old 24 channel MCI, Neve or old analogue console can the Speck with a number of 500 series preamps, compressors, equalisers create mix downs with the same cohesion?

Is there any reason why some studios still use or have these style of desks?
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

I wouldn't go near the O2R personally, very outdated and not exactly transparent.
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Head

Hi

About the older desks has anyone looked at this mixing issue?
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

I would think the (later) 02R96 would still be a viable option for someone who wanted a digital console. I used to work on a DM2000 (bigger brother to the 02R96) and I didn't find it lacking.
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Head

From a different angle if one had a old 24 channel MCI, Neve or old analogue console can the Speck with a number of 500 series preamps, compressors, equalisers create mix downs with the same cohesion?
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Head

Hi anyone out there
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

What do you mean by cohesion?
You haven't described your workflow at all.
So most will have no idea how to properly answer your question.
Old 6th June 2016
Gear Head

Cohesion - members talk on this board about tracks mixing down sitting better when used a old Neve console for example - the mix hangs together better because of the older desk they are using.

I myself am wanting to understand what these other members are talking about.

So my question is if you use a whole desk to mix down on verses using the Speck desk and outboard gear - can the Speck replicate a API Neve or other desk if you have the outboard gear connected to the Speck desk?
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipbluescat View Post
Cohesion - members talk on this board about tracks mixing down sitting better when used a old Neve console for example - the mix hangs together better because of the older desk they are using.

I myself am wanting to understand what these other members are talking about.

So my question is if you use a whole desk to mix down on verses using the Speck desk and outboard gear - can the Speck replicate a API Neve or other desk if you have the outboard gear connected to the Speck desk?
The sound of a mixing desk is due partly to the processing on board (the EQs and possibly dynamics) and also to the circuitry of the modules and the mix bus. When driven hard, some console circuitry -- especially on a few of the well-known classics -- gently distorts the audio in a musically pleasing way (depending on taste).

I haven't used a LiLo but I don't imagine the circuitry will give you much in the way of that kind of saturation/distortion. I believe it's designed to be pretty clear and transparent. So any prominent colors you might want to add on the analog side would mostly have to come from outboard processing.

That said, there are plenty of users who maintain that a good clean analog path like the LiLo simply used as a summing mixer will add some measure of clarity or depth to the mix even without extra processing, and without a mix bus that "bends" when driven hard. But there are plenty of opinions on either side of that question.

In any case, if you do intend to go this route with an external mixer, I'd strongly recommend you go with a LiLo. The 02R is an old boat anchor at this point. As purely a high-quality analog line mixer with good routing capabilities, the LiLo is pretty safe from obsolescence for what it's designed to be. I'd much rather "play" a mix on that thing than on an 02R.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Head

Hi Joe

Thank you for the reply.

So an old Neve desk, old Quad eight Coranado desk or API desk will all leave there unique sonic signatures on any mix.

What are these sonic signatures of these type desks then?

Cheers
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search