The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Hybrid Setup Summing Mixers
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

New Hybrid Setup

Hello GS, wanted to take the time to give a few updates on my newest setup and give my opinion on the few new pieces I've recently acquired. As a few of you know, I've been aimimg for a compromise in sound/workflow between my Analog desk at the studio (Duality 48) and my much smaller space at home.

Through suggestions, I ended up with two Sigma and various X-Rack pieces completing a modular 32-Channel SSL style mixing setup. The recall, and Sigma sound provided big, clean, polished mixes and could be backed up extremely fast. However, I wasn't happy with it and ended up getting my money back. I picked up two Neve 5059's and a Neve 5060 instead. After getting everything together, I ran a mix through and immediately knew I found what I was searching for.

At the moment, I'm running 32 i/o to HW comp's and eq's then into 5059's. I am then assigning Vocals and etc to Stereo 1, then I do 6-8 drum tracks to Stereo 2. I'm also doing guitars on Stereo 1 on the 2nd 5059 and misc on Stereo 2. I'm then feeding those 4 Stereo tracks into the 4 Stereo channels with faders on the 5060 where I add buss processing for those Stems (Eg: LA-3A's for guitars, TG-1 for drums and etc). I also have 16 left over channels on the 5060 giving me a total of 48 channels, all with Silk. I also have the Inserts on the 5059's for verb's and delay as well.

For me, I'm very happy with the RND setup. They really knocked it out the park with 5059's and 5060. Monitoring in the 5060 is amazing as well! Though, I'm cheating and using an Avocet to switch between DAW and the 5060. I'm also using 4 of the Avid Artist Mix to give me some hands-on faders! All in all, huge thumbs up for RND!
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

Could you share and/or elaborate what it is about the SSL Sigma setup that you did not like that drove you to the RND system?
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
Could you share and/or elaborate what it is about the SSL Sigma setup that you did not like that drove you to the RND system?
Nothing was wrong with the Sigma. Mixes were 3-D, wide and clean. Very much in the Duality vein and sound imo. But, I wanted more mojo and the transformers in the RND provided that. To be honest, I was happy with the Sigma. But, working on the Duality at my main place left me wanting a little something different. Also, the fact the Sigma setup cost 37k versus the RND setup at 15k. That left 22k for other things I needed.
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

What genre are you generally working in?
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
What genre are you generally working in?
R&B and Modern Rock.
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGarden View Post
Nothing was wrong with the Sigma. Mixes were 3-D, wide and clean. Very much in the Duality vein and sound imo. But, I wanted more mojo and the transformers in the RND provided that. To be honest, I was happy with the Sigma. But, working on the Duality at my main place left me wanting a little something different. Also, the fact the Sigma setup cost 37k versus the RND setup at 15k. That left 22k for other things I needed.
So basically it was wanting a different flavour as you already have the SSL sound covered with the Duality at your studio?
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
So basically it was wanting a different flavour as you already have the SSL sound covered with the Duality at your studio?
Correct. I wanted something with more mojo. The Great River MM was my first choice for a final summing box, but 5060 came with the 5059 package deal.
Old 30th May 2016
Solid State Logic

For $37k you must have had a lot of X-Rack stuff with your Sigmas!!! :-)
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
For $37k you must have had a lot of X-Rack stuff with your Sigmas!!! :-)
It was only 3 X-racks and a Mynx! I miss the E-Series and K-Series EQ's to be honest. But, I couldn't justify our Duality and a separate X-Rack/Sigma rig. Jim, have you guys considered a smaller scale 12 bucket X-Rack console frame? A mic pre, EQ, Dynamics, Routing Module and fader would make a nice strip!
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Addict

BlackGarden,

Very much enjoyed your previous thread - its patois and pix of your setup. Would love to see pix of this current version too. I have to move the studio next year and am considering going increasingly hybrid. Mostly mixing, OD's and sample composition going on here.

Thanks.

Old 31st May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Weaver View Post
BlackGarden,

Very much enjoyed your previous thread - its patois and pix of your setup. Would love to see pix of this current version too. I have to move the studio next year and am considering going increasingly hybrid. Mostly mixing, OD's and sample composition going on here.

Thanks.

Jack, I'll get some pics up soon. It's sort of a mess and I've not got everything situated yet. Being an "all analog" guy I was hesitant and fearful of the quality vs. a full size desk. If you have the chance (not sure of your location) to contact Mark at VK Nashville, he'll be able to setup several demo trials. He has really worked with me through the Sigma/X-Rack stage til the RND of now.

As far as going hybrid? I say take the leap. It's so easy to use your DAW for surgical work, then HW Inserts for mojo. I'm using 48 I/O, feeding PB's with 46 assorted Comp's/EQ's. I also depending on track count have the ability to feed 16 channels to the 5060 giving me 48 tracks come mix down. I've got my fav verb's, delays and etc patched to the pair of 5059's inserts as well.

The wife is happy I'm home more, but I do admit, I miss the Duality. Unfortunately, if business don't pickup, I may have to let it go.
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Addict

Hi BlackGarden,

Currently I insert hardware outboard via a Burl Mothership for stems and mix busses. It's not bad, but I do miss being able to slam the needles when outputting the 2bus - and of course there is the 2D sound of the mixer within Pro Tools. The only drawback with the RND is when I do surround mixes. I'd have to continue my current setup for that.

I'd probably use a dual 5059/5060 for stereo music gigs only. But thanks for bringing this to my attention. Doing my homework on this now.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search